X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rebith75
    • Mar 2007

pre-amp/processor/ Diy amp for pair of speakers

this may be a noob Q but...I have built 4 dayton br-1's speakers and am going to get/build a sub. I want to build an amp. my question is about how to set the whole thing up.

I am interested in building 2 amps (1 for each set of speakers, is this possible), and I guess using an active sub amp for that.

So do I need some sort of audio processor to input my signal from my dac via rca and output to the amps/speakers. I have done tons of research and yet to find some solid info on this (maybe i dont know the lingo). would the best route be to get an old receiver and use the preouts (would this old receiver distort at all making the quality amp meaningless or is the signal not messed up at all?)

So what are some suggestions on an amp to hand a pair of speakers (dayton br-1's), and how to process the signal from my dac to the amps/speakers and the sub

sorry if this is a ridiculous post
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You need a volume control, input selector and something to split the sound going to the different speakers. So yes a receiver is probably your cheapest bet. Get one that has pre-amp outputs for the mains if you want to use your own amps for them.

If you want to use your own amps for all the speakers, you'll need a pre-pro, those are generally speaking more expensive than a low buck receiver.

Technics/Panasonic has some low cost class D receivers that people are using for projects like yours.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

You can get used Outlaw 950s pretty darn cheap now. ~$300-400. Decent analog bypass in stereo and multichannel.

BB

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

A decent receiver with pre-outs should be fine. Sure a more expensive one would be better. At line levels (since the amp will be doing the work), you shouldn't get any distortion from the receiver.

I wonder about your desire to have a two seperate amps, one for each speaker. This seems like a little overkill to me at this point. In terms of overall system balance, it would seem like a better idea to buy one quality amp and spend the left over money elsewhere.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"