X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

Dat Integra DTC 9.4

I'm going freaking nuts!!!

Built first HT system (living/family room) about 5 years ago with a mixed bag of stuff. Was good enough... Moved into a new house. Remodeled family room... revamped whole system. Now I have NHT ST4 mains, SB3 as a center channel and super one xu's for surrounds (5.1 system). Have a parasound halo a52 amp. Tried a Fosgate FAPT1 (cousin of the Outlaw 950, same platform) - same so-so music performance IMHO. Now have an Audio Refinement. Very nice sound, but seems bass anemic. Starting to think I should have just stuck with the Rotel 1056 I had (but the NHT's are power hungry and they sounded great on a Halo A23 amp, thus "had" to get the Halo amp in the end). High end extension wasn't there or was overshadowed by the strong rotel midrange, was very punchy in the lower end though.

So.... Intrigued by the Integra DTC 9.4 prepro. Had considered a proceed and had heard the 9.4 uses same DAC's, but that's only part of the equation. Can pick up the 9.4 for like 1650-1700 from local dealer. But, I'm sick of trying equipment and being stuck with it. Considering going and picking up top end Onkyo from Circuit city to try it out and return it. Just to get a feel for the sound quality/style and something to hold me over in the equipment swapping. Anywhere close in sound character?....

Saw an upgraded RDC 7.1 on ebay, but passed on it.

HELP!!! Any oppinions?... Is it common for "audiophile" components to be bass anemic?... (they had said similar things about the original Proceed AVP versus the AVP2) Seems like Integra is the underrated underdog...

One other question... picked up a Integra DPC5.3 dvd changer. Sounds pretty good so far, said to have a new laser pickup. Got it for 50 bucks.

Cheers
    TIm Rawson
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Will your local Integra dealer allow you to audition the DTC 9.4 pre/pro before you have committed to paying for it? Ideally that would be at home with your own system, but an afternoon at the store using your own familiar material and associated equipment as close as possible to what else you'll be using would be a second-best alternative.

I've auditioned the DTC 9.4, and while it is not quite as revealing and wonderful as my Integra Research RDC-7, :>) it is quite a fine performer on both music and movies with some attractive operating features that my RDC-7 does not have, and would easily be a good second choice if I had to start over. I did not hear "anemic bass". It was fully there and powerful, using a Paradigm PW2200 subwoofer in the demo system.

I agree that Integra tends to be underated even if it is not completely overlooked. Just read the threads elsewhere on HT Guide, to say nothing of what is recommended at a lot of other boards, and it is amazing how often the high quality offerings from Integra and Integra Research are ignored. Their loss, not ours. :>)

Burke

PS -- Needless to say, that's a great price for the changer. Enjoy!

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"