X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oxcartdriver
    • Apr 2006

HDMI connectivity problem, Integra DTC 9.8 w/ Sony BDP-s350

I'm having connectivity problems with my Integra DTC 9.8 and Sony BDP-S350 using an HDMI connection.

S350 is setup as DVD, HDMI input #2
    Comcast box setup as CBL/Sat, HDMI input #1

Signature:
    Sony BDP-S350 will not show video or voice when connected through Integra DTC-9.8 with HDMI. Integra DTC 9.8 states no signal. BDP-S350 will play audio/video when connected directly to the monitor (Sony KDL-52XBR4).

Debug so far:
    1) Bypass the Integra DTC-9.8: Plugging the sony BDP-s350 directly into the monitor with HDMI and the setup screens are observed.
    2) Swap working HDMI comcast box to the Blu-ray input: Swapping the Comcast cable box HDMI cable to the input #2 and the video/audio come through the monitor fine. (note no change in integra DTC9.8 setup swapped HDMI cables only)
    3) Swap Blu-ray to the comcast input which worked: Swapping the Sony BDP-s350 HDMI cable to the input #1 and the blu-ray voice/audio do not come through to the monitor. (note no change in integra DTC9.8 setup swapped HDMI cables only) Integra DTC 9.8 states no signal present.
    3) HDMI cable check: took the comcast HDMI cable which was working and plugged this into the Sony BDP-s350. Same Integra DTC-9.8 input which was working moments before. Integra DTC-9.8 states no signal.

Customer support responses:
    1) Integra support states that it is a connectivity problem, and to call sony.
    2) Sony customer supports states it is an HDMI connectivity problem and to call Integra.
    3) Second attempt with Integra customer support states it is a connectivity problem and to try and return the Sony BDP-s350 for another unit.

Opinions/Suggestions?

I would like this combination to work, but I'm frusted by the connectivity problem.

Is HDMI this sensitive? Would another s350 possibly help?
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Hmm guessing it wouldn't hurt to try and exchange it. I've heard of certain receivers and pre/pro's having issues with some players though. If its not the player then I'm not sure there is anything you can do except get a different player.

Comment

• tylerdurden
      • May 2008

What version HDMI cable's do you have? Without checking the specs on either unit yet, I have a hunch your cables may be an earlier version and the cable box will work fine with one of these. But the Integra and the S350 may require latest Hdmi version's 1.3 or 1.3a. Either that or maybe its a firmware issue.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Umm I'm not sure sure there really is a difference between so called HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 cables and so on. Just a sales gimmick.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
          • Apr 2006

My HDMI cables are blue Jean cables, model "BJC Belden Series-1 Bonded-Pair Cable" which is stated to be "certified under HDMI 1.3a (CTS 1.3b and b1) at the longest distances of any cable we know of--45 feet for Category 1, 25 feet for Category 2."

My HDMI cables are both 3 feet long, and I did try swapping the HDMI cables between the comcast and S350.

I suspect a firmware issue as well, though neither support even suggested so. I'm just not familiar enough with HDMI at this time. Hopefully this all boils down to pilot error in the setup somewhere.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Are there firmware updates for the player or the pre/pro that you don't have? If so that should be the first thing you do.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
              • Apr 2006

I have downloaded and installed the latest software update for the Sony BDP-S350 (rev 007). There is no firmware update at this time for the integra DTC-9.8.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by oxcartdriver
                I have downloaded and installed the latest software update for the Sony BDP-S350 (rev 007). There is no firmware update at this time for the integra DTC-9.8.
                Are you sure? What are you running now?
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                  • Apr 2006

I checked the Sony BDP-S350 after the update to confirm it was rev 007. Prior to the update the Sony BDP-S350 was at rev 005.

The DTC-9.8 does not have a firmware update available.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by oxcartdriver
                    I checked the Sony BDP-S350 after the update to confirm it was rev 007. Prior to the update the Sony BDP-S350 was at rev 005.

The DTC-9.8 does not have a firmware update available.
                    Again, FW is at 1.09 now. What do you have?
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                      • Apr 2006

I did not see how to check in the user manual, I will contact Integra and try to find the FW version.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

I don't think Integra allows the end user to upgrade firmware so might be something you have to take to a shop to do if you don't have the newest.

Comment

• tylerdurden
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
                          I don't think Integra allows the end user to upgrade firmware so might be something you have to take to a shop to do if you don't have the newest.
                          They will let you but you have to sign a waver form. But its still recomended that you take it to a Integra service.
                          To check your existing firmware version- turn on the unit. push and hold "display", then press "standby", release the buttons.
                          Your current FW version will be displayed.

Comment

• Paul Brians
                            • Jul 2008

I have the identical equipment you do:
                            The Integra DTC 9.8, the Sony BDP S350, and the Sony Bravia 52". I have two home theater installers working a few feet from where I sit right now, and they've got the Sony up and working with picture and sound fine through the Integra, to the Bravia, and out through my 5.1 speaker system. No updates were made to the Integra.

This may not help much, but it should tell you that these pieces of equipment are compatible. I'd suspect a mistaken connection somewhere.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                              • Apr 2006

Thank you Paul Brians, nice to know the pair can communicate. I continue to toil on the problem.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by tylerdurden
                                To check your existing firmware version- turn on the unit. push and hold "display", then press "standby", release the buttons.
                                Your current FW version will be displayed.
                                My Integra displayed software version is '87 1.04/07927a'

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

So you have some pretty old FW if they are up to 1.09. Might want to call and find out where you can take it for a FW update.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                                    • Apr 2006

I bought both units at seperate local brick and motar stores. The shop where I puchased the integra is a traditional small hifi shop and is following up on the integra firmware revision now. The integra shop also sells sony which should help with the debug a bit as well.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Yeah I'm hoping its just a firmware issue and it gets solved with a fresh update. Being as others have had no issues I'm betting on this.

Comment

• Paul Brians
                                        • Jul 2008

You do know the Integra is really slow to sense a new input signal and start feeding it through, and that the Bravia is also slow? You can't switch to a new input and expect it to appear on the screen without waiting a minute or so.

Probably not your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Paul Brians
                                          You do know the Integra is really slow to sense a new input signal and start feeding it through, and that the Bravia is also slow? You can't switch to a new input and expect it to appear on the screen without waiting a minute or so.

Probably not your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.
                                          That's much longer than I have experienced but there used to be longer delays until I updated the DSP and the firmware. It can be a DIY operation. :W

Kal
                                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                                            • Apr 2006

If there is a way to update the firmware I'd be all ears and willing to try.

Comment

• tylerdurden
                                              • May 2008

You will find alot of good info here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=10689069
                                              It is a link to a search I did. The second one down and several others contain directions and links to alot of good info. Godd luck!!

Im sorry I just noticed the link doesnt work.
                                              Last edited by tylerdurden; 31 July 2008, 11:33 Thursday.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                                                • Apr 2006

I've signed up on the other site and I'm using the search.

I'll update back here if an update works. Unfortunately business travel will delay further work until next weekend.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

Might want to make sure that doing it your self isn't going to void your warranty or anything.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                                                    • Apr 2006

I've brought the Integra DTC-9.8 up to firmware version 1.08.
                                                    I've brought the Sony BDP-S350 up to firmware version 007

Still the Integra DTC 9.8 will not recognize the sony BDP-s350. The integra recognized a seperate sony BDP-s350 at the local shop, but not the unit I have.

Interestingly the Integra DTC 9.8 displayed No Signal on the DVD input even while I use going through the Integra DTC 9.8 setting up the s350 menus.

Ideas? Is there a configuration/setting on the S350 which others are using when connected to the Integra DTC 9.8?

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                                                      • Apr 2006

I have not updated the DSP's yet. I do not have an optical cable to connect the CD player to the DTC 9.8. I'll pick one up on Tommorrow.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                                                        • Apr 2006

Looking at the DSP firmware versions

DSP1 I'm@07601A 3-17-08 update is 08214A, I'm a bit older here only
                                                        DSP2 I'm@07518A 3-17-08 update is 07518A
                                                        DSP3 I'm@07820B 3-17-08 update is 07820B

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                                                          • Apr 2006

Well the latest Integra DTC 9.8 main firmware, DSP firmware, or factory reset did not improve things.

Updating the Sony S350 firmware did not improve things either.

Turns out that the Sony S350 blu ray player setup and a minor setup on the integra fixed the issue, pilot error after all.

I've re-tuned the room with Velodyne SMS-1 and audessy, followed by a calibration of the display with Digital video essentials on the blu-ray player and things look/sound pretty good now.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"