X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nparrotta
    • Jul 2004

Integra DTC 9.4 and DTA 9.4

Hi:

I am interested in knowing if any of you think this is a good deal or if I could do better....

I have an opportunity to purchase a demo (very little use) of the DTA & DTC 9.4 for about $3500 USD (retails $5,000). Just wondering if this was a good deal? I love the Integra line but $3,500 is a lot of money so I was wondering for that money if I should consider others like Rotel, Arcam, Other, etc.?

Thanks for your input.

-nick
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

I talked my 9.4 processor down to $1650. From what I've heard, others have paid anywhere from MSRP to $1400. I will say that it has more than met my expectations. I don't want to name names hear, but I did audition quite a few pre-pros and the Integra stood out as the finest overall value to me. I care about flexibility and features some, but sonic quality is my prime concern. The Wolfson DAC used by the 9.4 is, imo, superb.

I also want to say that I pretty much had sworn off Onkyo products when I had a negative view of my old, now sold, Onkyo 696. I had to be pretty convinced that the Integra was the real deal or I wouldn't have made the purchase. My wife actually told me to spend up to $3500 so my choice of the Integra says a lot.

As for the amp, I haven't heard the Integra stand-alone amps. I think, though, that that was my major problem with the 696. It just didn't deliver the promised power. As I said, though, this could be totally inaccurate about the 9.4.

I do have my pre-pro hooked up to a Parasound amp and the results are excellent. There are many fine amps out there that might also be considered.
    Keith

Comment

• nparrotta
      • Jul 2004

Many thanks for your response. I have an Integra DTR 5.4 and DPS 5.3 and I really like 'em. So I thought I'd keep it in the family...the guy who is offering the deal also sold me Atlantic Technology 6200s at a good price....so I feel comfortable with dealing with him.

I'd prefer to buy the DTC 9.4 and maybe a better amp (I know that the DTA 9.4 didn't get stellar reviews, has some limitations, and isn't THX certified...not that it's a big deal). Not sure if this guy will sell them separately....probably not.

I am just beginning to build my HT in a walk out basement with some ambient light (but controlled) - and it's a good size room 16 W x 30 L x 7.5 H (seating is around the 16' & 20'). If you have any recommendations on a sub(s) and projector feel free to let me know.

Once again - thanks for your input. I'm new to this site and find it very helpful.

-nick

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

nick --

Glad you are finding the HT Guide and Club Integra helpful. Welcome aboard!

The DTC-9.4 is a fine pre/pro and there are certainly worse amps than the DTA-9.4 -- it's just that other amps in the same price range may be a bit "better". However, when I auditioned the combo some months ago, there was nothing in the sound that had me thinking "I'd really need a different amp". If push came to shove (and I hadn't already invested in "better") :>) I could certainly live with it. And at least one review of the DTA-9.4 was favorable.

Another positive thing -- using the DTC/DTA-9.4 combo didn't change my impression of various speakers I tried with them. During the audition, I hooked the combo up to several different ones and definitely had a preference there -- the same as I had established listening to the same speakers with other electronics, which is to say the Integra combo did nothing to color the sound, or change my opinions of the speakers, which is a good thing. But the true test for you will be your own listening.

The asking price of $3,500 is 30 % off the MSRP for the combination. For brand new Integra equipment, that's a pretty good discount. Whether it is a good deal really depends on whether you like the equipment enough to pay that much for it. If you do like the equipment, it is unlikely that you will do a whole lot better on price anywhere else, and you say you know the person and feel comfortable dealing with them, which counts for a lot, IMO. If you don't like the equipment, it is better to not buy it at any price and keep looking.

You'll probably want to ask your question about a projector over in "Front Projectors", since Integra doesn't make one. There will probably be a lot more people with suggestions for suitable projectors who would see your question about it over there.

Subs are a topic that can bring out a wide range of opinions. Owners will usually recommend what they have, naturally. You can get great performance from internet-sourced models such as SVS or Adire, or perhaps find bargains locally with brands at B&Ms like Velodyne or Paradigm.

Since you have a fairly good sized room to fill (over 3500 cubic feet) you'll want one that really moves some air -- not one of the compact "cute miniature cube" models, but one of the beefier cylinder models or a box-style sub with at least a 15 inch driver. I have about the same size space to fill and have been enjoying an 18 inch Velodyne for several years. It does a superb job, but there are other options available today that could serve equally well.

Good luck -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• nparrotta
          • Jul 2004

Burke -

Thanks for the warm welcome. These are tough decisions especially sometimes if you don't get a chance to demo everything. That's why this site is so helpful. I've been hearing a lot about Outlaws sub-woofer and was thinking about getting two of them (under $1,000) but again not sure about down firing subs...and they are only 12" plus I may be building an entertainment cabinet (16 ft wall to wall).

I currently have L/R/C Atlantic Tech 6200s and am shopping around for 1-2 pair of the 6200 surrounds. I've considered the pedwoofers but they start adding up.

I'm really trying to shop smart and use price/performance, reliability, and service as key measures...that's why I like Integra. Sorry to get a little off topic I know this is really dedicated for Integra...thanks again.

-nick

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"