This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rags
    • Aug 2003

Apparently the new software will be available to download from the Parasound website on Jan 15th.

Comment

• nicholtl
      • Aug 2003

Cool! Well welcome! The forum here isn't quite as lively in terms of sheer number of heads, but everyone more than makes up for it in quirkiness.

Now go an buy some Halo gear dammit. =)

Originally posted by Q-Man
      Yes I am. I'm the one who loves bass horns, but wasn't happy with the sound of the top end of the Klipschorns. I spent two years trying different midrange drivers and horn combinations, tweeters, and networks untill I made a speaker that to my ears has no equal. It was actually a fun project and had it's just rewards. I enjoy building horns. Then it took me a while to find the amps that I felt mated well with my speakers. They turned out to be McIntosh. The speakers and amps were a cost no object kind of thing, because they will last my lifetime. I feel different about AV/processors because they are now nothing but computers, and computers are obsolete the day after you buy them. So I don't want to spend a lot of money on someting that I will be changing out every 2 or 3 years.

I'm now designing a new room for a dedicated home theater. My current room has grown small after filling it with 10 fully loaded horn speakers.

Comment

• Savannah
        • Dec 2004

Rags
        where did you hear January 15th and what will be available?

Comment

• Rags
          • Aug 2003

From a member on another forum who spoke with Parasound directly. All the new features mentioned in my post should become available in the new software release.

Personally what I am looking forward to is better dacs ets if this results in better sound quality / steering etc. The C2 is very good regardless but if these do improve things why not I suppose. There are a lot of variables but in terms of sheer processing power the C2 with its single Motorola 56367 and 96khz AKM dacs lags behing lags behind a lot of the competition. A single 56367 can do about 150 MIPS. The Meridian G series has 5 of them and the old 568.2 had 2 of them along with 2 56002's and 1 56007. The Lexicon MC8 uses 1 Crystal Semiconductors 49326 and 4 top end SHARCS. I can qoute a number of other processors that have more total MFLOPS / MIPS as well as employing 192KHz dacs.

Of course sound quality also depends on implementation and the C2 regardless of processing power does it rather well in my opinion.

Comment

• bhuskins
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Savannah
            Rags
            where did you hear January 15th and what will be available?

That date is right...expect an official announcement from CES around the 7th and the actual release right after.

Brent Huskins
            Media Design

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
              • Sep 2003

Hmmm...interesting.

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
              GameTracker -My List-
              Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• bhuskins
                • Aug 2003

Spoonman...

I'm glad you deleted your previous comment...

Just because it is officially released next month doesn't mean you won't see the new software in your unit when it comes back in a week. Especially, if you spoke to Richard about it.

The software is ready...you can trust me

The details of a simultaneous worldwide release takes careful planning and Parasound always tries to do things right. It makes sense to utilize CES as the launch platform as well.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by bhuskins
                  Spoonman...

I'm glad you deleted your previous comment...

Just because it is officially released next month doesn't mean you won't see the new software in your unit when it comes back in a week. Especially, if you spoke to Richard about it.

The software is ready...you can trust me

The details of a simultaneous worldwide release takes careful planning and Parasound always tries to do things right. It makes sense to utilize CES as the launch platform as well.

Brent Huskins
                  Media Design
                  :T

I didnt want to step on any toes. I have been assured I will have it returned with the updates, theyve never steered me wrong :P

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Things are looking up in the Parasound world.

BTW, I'm a Klipsch man, too. Haven't been on the Klipsch forums for quite some time, though.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chetk
                      • May 2004

25 :rofl:... :cry:

Comment

• Chetk
                        • May 2004

So nobody has a clue what the hardware upgrades are going to be?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chetk
                          So nobody has a clue what the hardware upgrades are going to be?
                          No... My hopes are for a HALO DVD...

Comment

• nicholtl
                            • Aug 2003

And mine are still for a girl in a cake...

Comment

• Krobar
                              • Dec 2004

About the Hardware Upgrade?... Would that include I-Link?

Im about to pull the trigger on an Integra Research RDC-7.1 and if the C2 got I-Link and the software upgrade I'd have another option.

Comment

• ralniv
                                • Apr 2004

The forthcoming C1/C2 hardware expansion will likely require a firmware update as well. Perhaps the firmware update coming on Jan 15 will reveal something about the hardware upgrade???

Personally, I am hoping for HDMI in/out. A high definition video and audio interface in a small package is perfectly suited to the tiny little slot that Parasound alotted to future upgrades.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ralniv
                                  Personally, I am hoping for HDMI in/out. A high definition video and audio interface in a small package is perfectly suited to the tiny little slot that Parasound alotted to future upgrades.
                                  But why does this switching need to be built-in to the C1/C2?

Right now, HDMI switching is already possible with the use of an external switcher controlled through the RS-232 connector on the C1/C2. Or am I missing something? (When you change input, the C1/C2 notifies the switcher that the input changed and the switcher does its work). As far as I can see, the only advantage of having the video switching built-in is to avoid another external box...

Well, there is one advantage of having it built-in, and that is the on-screen-display (OSD) capability, assuming that OSD can be transposed on a HDMI signal...

Comment

• ralniv
                                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                                    But why does this switching need to be built-in to the C1/C2?

Right now, HDMI switching is already possible with the use of an external switcher controlled through the RS-232 connector on the C1/C2. Or am I missing something? (When you change input, the C1/C2 notifies the switcher that the input changed and the switcher does its work). As far as I can see, the only advantage of having the video switching built-in is to avoid another external box...

Well, there is one advantage of having it built-in, and that is the on-screen-display (OSD) capability, assuming that OSD can be transposed on a HDMI signal...
                                    You make a good point regarding the external switch and the RS-232 interface. The other advantage that HDMI offers is that it carries digital multi-channel sound as well. The C1/C2 would process this sound and simply pass the video signal back out through the HDMI output. The end result would be less boxes and less wires -- both desirable in my book. I don't know about y'all but the back of my cabinet is rather messy with wires.

OSD on the HDMI output would be icing on the cake, but I'd be shocked to see it.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ralniv
                                      The other advantage that HDMI offers is that it carries digital multi-channel sound as well.
                                      Oh! That was new to me. Thanks for pointing it out!

Peter

Comment

• Q-Man
                                        • Mar 2004

If HDMI carries digital multi-channel does that mean that you will now be able to use the processors bass management, time delay, bass and treble adjustments, and DSP's for SACD's and DVD-Audio?

Comment

• Krobar
                                          • Dec 2004

Any processor with properly designed HMDI inputs will allow the above for PCM/DD/DTS. The problem is even the newest HDMI spec does not support SACD at all and support of DVD-A requires HDMI 1.1.

Comment

• Chris CRt
                                            • Feb 2004

Well, I heard it from the horses mouth at CES today....

The software upgrade will now be in February. There was a bug in the software they caught at the last moment (fine by me that they caught it!) and it's causing the delay.

On an interesting note, it's going to be a hefty download. I was told, "It's going to take like 20 min via DSL for the download." On the up and up, you can call Parasound to request a CD to be delivered to your door.

You can also box up your Halo gear, send it in and have them do it, and while it's there, they will give your gear a once-over to make sure it is in tip-top shape. Did I say that it will cost you $200+ for that?

Interesting stuff. Dealers will be chiming in soon too as they were meeting with them at the show for other newsworthy info.

Comment

• Chetk
                                              • May 2004

Originally posted by Chris CRt
                                              The software upgrade will now be in February. There was a bug in the software they caught at the last moment (fine by me that they caught it!) and it's causing the delay.
                                              Why doesn't this surprise me? :tired: Same ol' story...new day. At this point, it's not even funny. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there really isn't an upgrade and there never has been. How long have we been waiting for this upgrade now? :rant:

And what about all of those people out there waiting to see what this upgrade has before pulling the trigger to buy a competing product? If it were me, I'd buy the competing product after hearing this news. :M

Comment

• Krobar
                                                • Dec 2004

If it were me, I'd buy the competing product after hearing this news.
                                                I just did. Although I will probably get an A51 to go with it

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2004

Why doesn't this surprise me? :tired: Same ol' story...new day. At this point, it's not even funny. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there really isn't an upgrade and there never has been. How long have we been waiting for this upgrade now? :rant:
                                                  I have to agree. I can't understand why they don't do many smaller updates instead of one big update. No matter how they test the software, they're not going to get all the bugs out! They might think they made it foolproof, but then along comes a smarter fool...

Making smaller and more frequent updates has many advantages. Since only a little is changed between releases, it is much easier to pinpoint new bugs. Also, if a bug is found, the frequent updates makes sure that nobody have to suffer with the buggy software for too long. (And you can always downgrade if the bug is too bad).

Alternatively they could offer two software releases for download: One "certified" stable release that contains no known bugs and a second release that is updated frequently and has the latest bells and whistles with the risk of being buggy.

Peter

Comment

• smalone
                                                    • Aug 2003

Does anyone have the update even with the bugs in it?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by smalone
                                                      Does anyone have the update even with the bugs in it?
                                                      I doubt that, and that is exactly Parasound's problem.

The best way to test software is to let a selected group of DIE-HARD fans give the software a real beating. With the importance of the Internet, these fans should be selected from groups like this. I can agree with that they should not be allowed to share info about the new version. However, they should loudly express that they do exist in order to bring high confidence in Parasound and their equipment...

I think Parasound's software department needs a new Chief Engineer! (Maybe I should volonteer :B)

Peter

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                                                        • Sep 2003

I should be getting an email from Richard early in the week about my C2. They still have it and are waiting for the final version of the revisions. They are busy with CES I believe.

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• Krobar
                                                          • Dec 2004

Parasound should run a beta scheme to dealers but are you sure they dont already? Anthem provide beta software to select beta users and so do Integra Research.

Comment

• nicholtl
                                                            • Aug 2003

Assuming it does come in February as promised, can't we all relax? I mean February isn't THAT far away, right? After all, I understand the principle inherent in this issue, but come on guys, patience is a virtue. And all good things come to those who wait. Plus, haste makes waste.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Krobar
                                                              Parasound should run a beta scheme to dealers but are you sure they dont already?
                                                              How useful is that??? Dealers don't have time to sit there tweaking the devices all day long. Their job is to sell, not to beta test...

Originally posted by Krobar
                                                              Anthem provide beta software to select beta users and so do Integra Research.
                                                              That's the way to go!

Of course it is possible that Parasound does it too, but in this case I think somebody here would know about it...

Comment

• jkscherk
                                                                • Aug 2003

Was there no mention of hardware updates? Halo DVD? etc. Seems like once again, Parasound had a pretty lackluster CES showing.

I have to say, their consumer expectation mangement has been dismal. If Anthem get their hardware upgrades in place this spring, this will be another Halo owner to goes to a competing product. The Integra RDC 7.1 is already an option.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                  • May 2004

Originally posted by jkscherk
                                                                  Was there no mention of hardware updates? Halo DVD? etc. Seems like once again, Parasound had a pretty lackluster CES showing.

Were you at the show?

I'm having trouble finding any kind of comprehensive coverage of CES.

Know of any sites that have coverage of the Parasound stuff?
                                                                  Tony

Comment

• goldear
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

Guys,

Today while browsing AVS I came upon a thread that has me now wondering about the future prospects for upgrades regarding the Halo and their DSP Engine. Apparently, Motorola has been bought out by Freescale...and according to a couple of the posters over there, there is some concern for products still running on the Motorola platforms. Here's a snippet:

"Also depending upon who authored the native code/alogrithim has alot to do with its sonic performance. This is why Pioneer/Elite is the only primary brand still using the Motorola platform even though Pioneer brought this entire function in-house when Motorola shut down their software support group. This is precisely why the escoteric brands that stayed with Motorola like B&K, Parasound, Sunfire.. are now facing a very challenging dilemma....."

I don't know what this all means since Flextronics is responsible for putting the Halo platform together...perhaps they can do what Pioneer is doing. But it would seem that without software support from Motorola (Freescale) this could pose a problem for future upgrades. From what I understand, it is not easy to switch to another DSP brand without major changes to corresponding components. Can anyone else shine some light on this question since I've been hanging on to my C2 until after the upgrades?
                                                                    Last edited by goldear; 10 January 2005, 16:44 Monday.
                                                                    Chris B

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2004

This may explain Parasound's delay in upgrades. I would imagine that Parasound knew well before anyone of us, that this was going to happen. Probably put a crowbar in their wheel of progression.

I would imagine that Parasound has been working on the new direction they're taking. Would also explain the delays.
                                                                      Tony

Comment

• jkscherk
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2003

NMyTree- I was not at the show. Those comments were truly questions.

The Motorola support is just another nail in the coffin. Pretty soon this box will be shut for good!

However, as the eternal optimist....I'm waiting for Parasounds actual actions before 'calling it'!

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2004

Well, this thread has absolutely gone sour. :cry:

Could someone explain what the heck is going on? Are our C1's and C2's already out of date because some company got bought out? I bought the C1 because of its upgradability. If they don't upgrade it, that'll be two items that I bought with the understanding that upgrades would be coming.

Mitsubishi screwed us early adapters with no DVI input "promise" modules and now it sounds like Parasound, to no fault of their own, may not be upgrading our C1s and 2s?

:nonod: :huh: :blink: :unsure: :banghead: :nono: :scratchhead: :thud:

Comment

• nicholtl
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 539

I don't know what's going on but I love that smiley face that "thuds" to the floor.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2003
                                                                              • 518

wow, I must be in the minority. I have never bought a piece and thought of its upgradeability at the time of purchase. Then again, I love the upgrade bug and just buy new toys.

the 7.5 of the Halos was enough for me. Ill be calling Richard tomorrow at Parasound to see whats up with this news. My C2 is still sitting there waiting for such an update. If its not happening, I want it back ASAP, using a receiver as a pre/pro is friggin torture!!

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• goldear
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2003
                                                                                • 111

Guys...while it is true that Motorola got bought out, I haven't heard from the horses mouth if Freescale is going to hang anybody out to dry. According to those who were participating, it was only the "software" support they were taking about.

As many of you know, there are a several manufacturers who do write their own software. While I don't believe Parasound does this because of their limited resources, I do believe this is something that Flextronics does as they have a proprietary relationship with Parasound.

From what I gather by a cursory glance at the Freescale website, they don't seem to be making any "advertised" changes in Motorola's programs. After all, they did just bring out the new 56371 DSP engine (twice as powerful), which is suppose to be compatible with the 56367s layout. The question I have is will there be support beyond this to handle the new DD/DTS formats.

I don't know if I can get in trouble for this...but, you could pay a visit to AVS and jump in on that thread (Latest, Greatest, DSP) and see what a few of the experts (MCode, Gordon, etc) have to say about the future.

PS. Regardless what happens, this is not Parasound's fault. The Halo is still one of the most sonically superior SSPs out there...even after almost three years. I just looked at the AVM30s specs, and other than a few features they added, they are still using the same DSP, D/A and A/D converters as in the AVM20. And I'm still hanging on to my C2 (after getting a good deal on a Lex MC12B) just to see what this next upgrade brings.
                                                                                Last edited by goldear; 10 January 2005, 23:27 Monday.
                                                                                Chris B

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2003
                                                                                  • 518

Originally posted by goldear
                                                                                  PS. Regardless what happens, this is not Parasound's fault. The Halo is still one of the most sonically superior SSPs out there...even after almost three years. I just looked at the AVM30s specs, and other than a few features they added, they are still using the same DSP, D/A and A/D converters as in the AVM20.
                                                                                  Halo toys make me smile!

:T

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2003
                                                                                    • 518

Just got an email from a certain someone. The update is VERY near. Thats all I can say

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2004
                                                                                      • 247

Originally posted by cameronl on Oct. 25
                                                                                      I talked to someone from parasound on friday and they said that they were just fixing a bug and that after that it would be relased....which i hope means very soon
                                                                                      and

Originally posted by bhuskins on Oct. 31
                                                                                      For all those waiting...we should see something very soon. The update was ready and then in the last hour Parasound found a bug that needed to be fixed before the eminent release… EHExpo is in 3 weeks in Long Beach...rumor has it something might show up there.
                                                                                      and

Originally posted by Brian on Nov. 15
                                                                                      cough, cough, Dec. 15th, cough. The first software upgrade. That is the date Parasound is shooting for. It will be free and available from your dealer.
                                                                                      and

Originally posted by bhuskins on Nov. 15
                                                                                      Upgrades for Halo (both software and hardware) are due very soon.
                                                                                      and

Originally posted by bhuskins on Dec. 1
                                                                                      Also...December 15th is the target date for the DPLIIx software to be released...Please don't call Parasound to ask about it until after the 15th. This will let them hit their target. It will be posted on their website for all to download.
                                                                                      and

Originally posted by bhuskins on Dec. 15
                                                                                      I stated in another post that today's release has been slightly delayed because of all the features being added. A couple more weeks is all, but it will be well worth it.
                                                                                      and

Originally posted by Savannah on Dec. 16
                                                                                      I received an email from them last week that the upgrades would be posted on their site this week
                                                                                      and

Originally posted by Rags on Dec. 18
                                                                                      Apparently the new software will be available to download from the Parasound website on Jan 15th. (Source: “From a member on another forum who spoke with Parasound directly.”
                                                                                      Let’s hope so!!!

and

Originally posted by bhuskins on Dec. 19
                                                                                      That date is right...expect an official announcement from CES around the 7th and the actual release right after.
                                                                                      and

Originally posted by bhuskins on Dec. 19
                                                                                      The software is ready...you can trust me.
                                                                                      Originally posted by Chris CRt on Jan. 8
                                                                                      Well, I heard it from the horses mouth at CES today....

and finally,

Originally posted by SpOoNmAn on Jan. 11
                                                                                      Just got an email from a certain someone. The update is VERY near. Thats all I can say
                                                                                      And now my quote:
                                                                                      “I’ll believe it, when I see it.”

At this point, it’s nice that you folks “in-the-know” about things care to share, but I think we’ve had enough already. All credibility has been lost. I just checked the English dictionary: Appearently the work "Soon" means "Sometime is 2005." Here’s hoping the next post in this thread reads “The software is now available for download at…”

Comment

• Rags
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 185

Your right Chetk this is getting onerous. Having ordered some new speakers today I am thinking of going the whole hog and jacking in my C2 and getting a Meridian G68J instead. Dearer but has a lot more processing power meridians legendary trifield mode and roof full digital room eq. Meridians upgrade history is also one of the best out there.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2004
                                                                                          • 1188

“I’ll believe it, when I see it.”

At this point, it’s nice that you folks “in-the-know” about things care to share, but I think we’ve had enough already. All credibility has been lost. I just checked the English dictionary: Appearently the work "Soon" means "Sometime is 2005." Here’s hoping the next post in this thread reads “The software is now available for download at…”
                                                                                          Having a bad hair day, huh??? :roll:

It's not a matter of lost credibility. The problem is that they are trying to fix EVERY single bug. This is NOT realistic, and will result in the problems we see now. Delay, after delay, after delay...

Obviously Parasound is not monitoring these forums. If they did, they probably would change strategy and provide a "public" beta and let everyone that dare have a good run down of the current existing software...

Where would Microsoft be if they had done like Parasound and kept stalling the release? I bet a million that Windows 95 would still not be ready... :B (For those that don't know: The inital release of Win 95 had TENS OF THOUSANDS of bugs. Still people were buying it like crazy... And some were even HAPPY with it :E )

Peter

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                                            • 1188

Originally posted by Rags
                                                                                            Your right Chetk this is getting onerous. Having ordered some new speakers today I am thinking of going the whole hog and jacking in my C2 and getting a Meridian G68J instead. Dearer but has a lot more processing power meridians legendary trifield mode and roof full digital room eq. Meridians upgrade history is also one of the best out there.
                                                                                            Yeah. I would have gotten a Meridian too if I only had known they were that inexpensive... Somebody told me they were close to 20 grand, so I dismissed it without having a single look at it although I knew it is one of the best ones out there. Now I recently found out that the MSRP of the G68 starts below $6k...

Peter

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"