X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greynolds
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

The Future of the Proceed AVP

Finally, Proceed has made an announcement about the forthcoming upgrade for the AVP. Quite frankly, they are pretty vague about specific features and the cost, but at least they have made an announcement. What follows is the announcement from their web page (Proceed/Mark Levinson News):

Our most recent software release for the AVP enables the preamplifier to receive and process two channels of 24-bit, 96kHz PCM audio, currently being delivered on special DVD-Video discs that contain this high quality music format. There is no charge by Madrigal for this software-implemented feature. Should you own an AVP and have an interest in adding 24/96 capability, we encourage you to contact your dealer.

So what's next? We know that our customers are asking about and want DTS 6.1 ES and Dolby Surround EX. We also know that they want more than that. We know that while some customers like the simplicity of having a small number of surround modes, other customers want more surround mode choices. We know that Proceed customers want and expect the AVP to provide the best performance available in its price class. And, we know that many buyers want it all - including great construction quality, and ease of use. We know what you want, and that is what we intend to deliver.

A Major AVP Update: In order to address all of those needs, the next AVP update will involve both hardware and software. As you may know, Madrigal has spent considerable time and resources developing the hardware and software for the Mark Levinson No.40 Media Console. The No.40 is destined to set new standards in terms of audio and video performance, flexibility, controllability, and ease-of-use. The No.40 is truly the ultimate home theater component.

The No.40 is much more important to Madrigal, our dealers, and our customers than its value as a product alone. It is a watershed design, much like our Reference products, in that technology (both hardware and software) developed for the No.40 will find application in a wide range of future Madrigal products. The first of those products was the Proceed PVP video processor and more recently, the Mark Levinson No.390S CD Processor. Next will be the AVP.

Technologies that were developed for the Mark Levinson No.40 that will be implemented in the AVP Update include:

* DSP architecture: The No40 and all Mark Levinson Digital Processors utilize 32-bit SHARC DSP devices. Proceed products currently use 24-bit Motorola devices. To gain maximum benefit from the extensive DSP related software written for the No.40 platform (such as HDCD, Surround EX, DTS ES, Dolby Pro Logic II, the latest THX Ultra(r) algorithms and other processes), the Proceed AVP will migrate to the same 32-bit SHARC platform. This consolidation allows our product development process to be more efficient and timely by making DSP software portable up and down the range of Proceed and Mark Levinson products. The updated AVP immediately benefits by inclusion of many decoding and processing capabilities developed on the No.40 platform.

* Volume Control: The AVP Update incorporates a new volume control implementation similar in performance to that used in Mark Levinson components, including the No.40 Media Console and No.32 Reference Preamplifier. As such, it is a high-resolution, digitally controlled, analog design. Significantly, this unique analog attenuator maintains the full performance of the AVP's remarkable DACs at ALL levels, something impossible with digital volume controls.

* Intelligent FIFO(tm): All digital audio signals are received using Madrigal's Intelligent FIFO digital receiver technology. Previously reserved for Mark Levinson separate digital processors, (including the No.40), our Intelligent FIFO effectively rejects distortion-inducing jitter and maximizes the performance potential of the incoming signal.

* Digital to Analog Conversion & Output Circuitry: The AVP Update will include all new digital-to-analog conversion circuitry. Like the No.40, the converter and its associated circuitry is fully capable of optimizing the performance of any signal that the AVP is likely to receive. An outstanding new output buffer circuit employs similar topology and performance to that found in our best components and contributes greatly to the AVP Update's sound quality. The output buffer features remarkable immunity to adverse interactions with interconnecting cables and unusual input impedance characteristics of power amplifiers.

* DVD-A or multi-channel SACD compatibility: An optional version of the update includes a new audio input module to allow an updated AVP to receive and optimize a six-channel analog input from similarly equipped DVD-A or multi-channel SACD players. All of the AVP's bass management functions and performance enhancing features remain intact, unlike simple "pass-through" connections. We have also made accommodations in the AVP Update for a future high-resolution, encrypted digital interface option. Our desire is to incorporate an industry standard interface, however should an accepted standard not emerge, we are prepared to consider implementing a Madrigal-designed, proprietary interface. We cannot be certain that either of these digital input options will ever become available for the AVP - it all depends on external market and industry factors. What we have done however is to ensure that if such a connection is made possible, an AVP will be updateable to accept it.

Summary: Madrigal has a tradition of making upgradeable products. Not only do we make it possible to update products-we actually do offer updates whenever the expense is cost effective and practical given the capabilities or limitations of the previous model's platform. We know that our customers want to make long-term investments in products that can be updated. And, we know that updates must be cost effective and practical if they are to be offered.

We expect this significant update for the AVP to be available in the first quarter of 2002. Should you own an AVP, or are considering buying one, you have our assurance that your unit will be 100% updateable-and at a cost that is in balance with the improved performance, additional features it provides, and the price difference between the current AVP and the updated version. For owners who buy an AVP within six months of the update, the cost to convert their processor (to the newer, more expensive model) will be prorated, based on the unit's manufacturing date.

Geoffrey Reynolds
    Geoffrey Reynolds
  • Geof
    • May 2001

It's good to have some official word on this but much of it has been told to me in various email's with Todd. Sorry to hear the ship date has moved to 1st qtr '02 (they don't move fast do they)....I wish we could get an estimated price and more details - perhaps at CEDIA next week.

I am really toying with buying an MC-12B. This new Lex is a really nice design. If it sounds decent it might just take the place of my AVP....

Geof
    Geof

Comment

• greynolds
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

A little more information from the rumor mill:

Estimated price of the new AVP - $7000 (not sure if that's list price or discounted street price)
      Estimated cost for existing AVP owners to upgrade to the new AVP - $2000.

IMO, paying the difference in cost to upgrade to the new version seems reasonable, as I've been able to enjoy my AVP for around 3 years. I just hope that there are no differences between an upgraded original AVP and a brand new AVP.

Geoff

Geoffrey Reynolds
      Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• greynolds
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I got a little more information from Proceed the other day. Some is good, some may not be good:

1) They are targeting the retail price at around $6000 - good (as it isn't much higher than the current AVP).

2) They think the upgrade price from AVP to new AVP will be around $2000 (assuming the $6000 new price happens). I'm not sure this is so good as it is double the price difference and therefore doesn't really agree with their initial information ("We expect this significant update for the AVP to be available in the first quarter of 2002. Should you own an AVP, or are considering buying one, you have our assurance that your unit will be 100% updateable-and at a cost that is in balance with the improved performance, additional features it provides, and the price difference between the current AVP and the updated version.").

3) They are pretty sure that Logic7 will be available as an extra cost software option for the new AVP. This I obviously see as a very good thing as it is the biggest advantage that Lexicon currently has over Proceed. Though I've never heard Logic7 in action, I've heard so many good things about it that I'd be willing to pay extra for it as long as the cost is somewhat reasonable.

4) They could not confirm whether an upgraded AVP would be identical to a new AVP (aside from the obvious that some parts would be a few years old). Apparently, the rear panel on the new AVP will be different and they aren't sure what that will mean for differences. My feeling is that if they are going to charge double the retail price difference, I would want to be sure that my upgraded AVP would have no functional differences. Perhaps they'll have more information about this soon and it will end up meaning that things will just be arranged slightly differently.

5) Dealers will be able to install the upgrade. Good, as long as the dealer has a clue (less down time).

6) PAV/PDSD owners will have some sort of upgrade option(s), but Proceed is not yet saying what the options will be (never mind the cost). If I had to guess, I would guess that they have another model in the works to replace the PAV/PDSD between the AVP and the ML No. 40.

I think that was about it - I'm going from memory as I don't have the email with me at the moment.

Geoffrey Reynolds
        Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Geof
          • May 2001

Apparently, the rear panel on the new AVP will be different and they aren't sure what that will mean for differences
          That implies they would have different PC Boards, or maybe they are just located in different locations within the AVP.....hummm.........

I decided to wait until they release the upgrade before making any decision on whether to upgrade my AVP or buy the Lex 12B. Now it sounds like maybe I'll have to consider buying a new AVP instead of upgrading my current model - damn.

I'm very curious to know what surround modes will be available. I agree with Geoff that I would spring for Logic 7 if that is an option.

I also believe the 5.1 analog bypass option will not be forthcoming at the same time as the main upgrade - it will be released sometime later. As I understand it if you're interested in that feature then it would probably be better (cheaper) to wait for that option to become available before upgrading, and that could well mean 2nd qtr '02 (or beyond). Maybe I will buy that new Lex after all......

Geof
          Geof

Comment

• greynolds
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

quote:That implies they would have different PC Boards, or maybe they are just located in different locations within the AVP.....hummm.........

I've been wondering about this myself. Different boards could cause issues down the road for future upgrades.

quote:I decided to wait until they release the upgrade before making any decision on whether to upgrade my AVP or buy the Lex 12B. Now it sounds like maybe I'll have to consider buying a new AVP instead of upgrading my current model - damn.

I'm in the same boat, though I'm considering other processors too, such as the TAG. TAG really seems to be doing something right.

quote:I'm very curious to know what surround modes will be available. I agree with Geoff that I would spring for Logic 7 if that is an option.

I wouldn't expect to see much new beyond the DD, DTS, DPL2, and Logic7 modes (but I would definitely expect all of these). I doubt they'll be adding tons of DSP modes.

quote:I also believe the 5.1 analog bypass option will not be forthcoming at the same time as the main upgrade - it will be released sometime later. As I understand it if you're interested in that feature then it would probably be better (cheaper) to wait for that option to become available before upgrading, and that could well mean 2nd qtr '02 (or beyond).

Todd Sutherland didn't give me any indication whether it would happen at the same time or not. What he did say is that it will use up some of the analog audio inputs. This is obvious as there isn't room on the rear panel to add 6 more analog inputs. Unfortunately, I'm currently using all 8 of my analog inputs, so I would have to resort to an external switcher for at least some of my audio sources.

What Madrigal IS promising is that the sound quality will be the one to beat. Todd stated that the sound will be clearly better than the PAV/PDSD and implied that it will be better than pretty much everything currently available regardless of price. Should be interesting to see exactly what gets delivered.

Geoffrey Reynolds
            Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Geof
              • May 2001

I don’t expect ton’s of surrounds modes either, nor do I especially want them. I owned a Lex CP1 for awhile and never used most of the surround modes other than just fooling around. I suspect you’re right about what will be included tho. I am sure they want to have as much commonality with the Levison code as they can to make it as cost effective as possible but was surprised to read that Logic 7 may be offered as an option.

I agree with your TAG comments.

Todd has relayed much of the same info regarding sound quality to me. Evidently they will be using the same DAC’s in the L&R Front channels as the Levinson.

I suspected they would be using 6 (3 pairs) of the existing analog inputs for the DVD-A/SACD bypass (BTW, that is how the new Lex handles it) but I was informed it would be released several months after the main upgrade……If I decide to upgrade I will definitely want this capability.....

Geof
              Geof

Comment

• greynolds
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I wasn't surprised to see that Logic 7 will be an option. I've been hearing rumors about it for quite a while now. One of my coworkers has a friend who works at Lexicon, which is where I heard it from initially. I really think it will take much of Lexicon's competitive advantage away as it has always been the 1 big thing they've had over everyone else.

I was hoping that they would use identical DAC's all around this time, but from what you say it sounds like that's unlikely.

Given the amount of real estate on rear panels, it's no big surprise that something has to give to offer the 5.1 inputs. My guess is that this feature could possibly be implemented as a software upgrade rather than requiring any hardware changes. I agree that I would want the capability even though I wouldn't be using it for now (don't have a need for it at the moment).

Besides, it will give me an excuse to make use of the Extron switcher I won on ebay a while back...

I'm beginning to think we should just start emailing each other as no one else seems interested in this. Maybe your name has to be some version of Geoffrey to be interested .

Geoffrey Reynolds
                Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Great info guys, keep up the good work.

Interesting to hear they are bringing 7.1 algorithms to the AVP, but not really surprising, since it's all under the Harman International umbrella. Perhaps, Lexicon pads their pockets from the other division, so for them, it's a good deal?

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Geof
                    • May 2001

You might be right about the SW upgrade to add 5.1 bypass but I was told it will definitely be a "few months" after the initial upgrade and would require replacing the input board. They did mention in the "Future of the AVP" blurb that it would be an option so it sounds like they will have two different versions of the input card - but then again perhaps we'll have to pay extra for the software to enable that feature.

There will definitely be "premium DAC's" on the L&R channels and different ones for the remaining channels (subject to change perhaps). I think this is probably a real estate issue because they will probably use stereo DAC's with the digital filter in the same chip (the same is true in the current AVP). I suspect it will sound fine though and I suspect they'll be 24/192 capable at a minimum.

It sounds like Lexicon has determined they would generate more income from Logic 7 if they [selectively] licensed it. The AVP won't really compete with Lexicon products because it won't have all of the other surround modes available in Lexicon products.

I think it’s possible (and probably probable) that you’ll be able to setup a trigger mode to externally switch between 5.1 bypass and 3 stereo pairs. The Lex MC-12 has that capability and it would ease some of the problems (such as in your situation). I don’t have a need for 5.1 bypass [yet] either but will when they release a DVD-A board for the PMDT. It would really be nice if they implement the 5.1 feature like the Lex MC-12 (the MC-12 can apply any DD surround mode to the 5.1 bypass inputs such as Logic 7).

Geof/Geoff…any Jeff’s around???

Geof
                    Geof

Comment

• greynolds
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Lex,

I was told that the only reason that Logic 7 will not be a freebie is that they have to "pay" Lexicon to use it. I put pay in quotes as it's possible that budgets are changing hands as opposed to actual dollars given that they are under the same umbrella. Logic 7 will be standard in the No. 40, but given the (rumored) cost of the No. 40 it OUGHT to be .

Geoffrey Reynolds
                      Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Oh, this is getting confusing, Geof and Geoff, lol.

Well, outside of Logic 7, there's not a whole lot of special interest to me personally surround mode wise. Sure, occasionally play with Panorama or such, but now with a 2 channel pre-amp, not so much there.

Lex
                        Doug

Comment

• Geof
                          • May 2001

I was recently taken to task - beat up - (in another forum) for mentioning that the AVP might have a Logic 7 optional upgrade. Evidently Lexicon is denying this and saying Proceed is not licensed for the AVP.....It remains to be seen what the outcome will be but I wouldn't bank on having this option...

On another matter, updated AVP Software has been released (It's not yet posted on their site but I received a copy from a dealer friend).

Version 3.31 addresses the following:
                          1) Eliminates a brief noise when beginning to play DTS Music compact discs.
                          2) Eliminates an image shift into the right front or left front channels when the center speaker is configured for full-range and no subwoofer.

Geof
                          Geof

Comment

• greynolds
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Geof,

Next time give me a direct link so I can find it easier and back you up . I found the thread at AVS Forum and have posted a reply naming my source and stating my opinion on the matter. I don't see why everyone over there is getting so upset about it...

Thanks for the info on the new update - I'll have to go see my dealer again.

Geoffrey Reynolds
                            Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

Speaking of links, Geoffrey, ahem, coff coff... interesting thread over there, if this is the one: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88656&highlight=meridia n+logic

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• greynolds
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Yeah, that's the thread.

Just in case someone doesn't want to read through the 5 pages of the thread (it's exciting reading...), here's the latest information regarding support for Logic 7 in the AVP II from Proceed (posted with permission) that I received today:

The information supplied to you was not inaccurate and in fact discussions with Lexicon are still taking place. It isn't set in stone that it will happen at this point, but as was expressed before, the possibility still exists. As with any new product release and the options presented, they aren't in concrete until they happen, so we look forward to providing you
                                with the "knowns" when the new AVP ships and we have the most up to date information.

Todd Sutherland
                                Madrigal Audio
                                As I said over at the AVS Forum, this is a somewhat major change in stance over what I had been told back in September.

Geoffrey Reynolds
                                Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Geof
                                  • May 2001

I'm not sure I'd classify that thread as "exciting reading" but then I guess I would be biased....

Did Todd share any other info (perhaps that is all you asked).

The new Lex is a nice piece (on paper at least) and if it sounds like it should for that price it will be a killer piece. I agonized over getting one for quite awhile but I "grew weary" of the Lexicon crowd and "re-realized" I still like the AVP. I own the PMDT and those pieces integrate nicely. So far it appears the update will bring forth most of the stuff I've wanted and upgrading is surely cost effective compared to ditching the AVP and buying something else. The new Lex has some features that I just don't need (i.e., 3 zone's, component switching, etc). From what I''ve read DPLII compares favorably to the Lexicon surround mode with the edge going to one or the other depending on source. I think the Lex may be better suited to "tweekers" because one can fine tune each surround mode till the cows come home and I'm sure the Proceed piece won't offer that capability.

Since I don't need some of the features of the high end Lex, and can't see spending huge amounts of money on one surround mode, and I like the AVP/PMDT integration, the choice seems clear....YMMV and if you do get the Lex I'd be anxious to hear your comments...

Geof
                                  Geof

Comment

• greynolds
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Geof,

No, Todd didn't share any other info - I only asked about Logic7 and he doesn't seem to be the type to offer info that isn't asked for (probably a wise move on his part ).

The MC-12 definitely looks to be an excellent piece of equipment. The first round of reviews is extremely favorable and it seems to pretty much address the biggest complaint I had about the Lexicon processors when I got my AVP (no analog bypass).

The MC-12 certainly has some features I don't need (or perhaps want is the better term here, as I don't need any of this...), but it also seems to offer a lot of what I want. Lexicon has clearly been better about supporting new formats as they come along than Proceed has, though their upgrades usually cost something (while Proceed's have been free till the AVPII).

The other huge consideration for me is that it looks like I'll have an oportunity in a few months to purchase a MC-12B at an excellent price (I don't want to discuss details of this in a public forum, as I'm not yet sure of specific disclosure terms, etc.) such that buying the MC-12 and selling my AVP would be the rational thing to do from a financial standpoint, so I'm VERY tempted. I also like to tweak things, so the way the Lexicon processors work is probably better suited to someone like me than the Proceed line (as long as I don't have to give up my favorite AVP features). I also don't have a PMDT, so the integration issue isn't a consideration for me at this point.

If I decide to jump ship, I'll be sure to post my impressions.

Geoffrey Reynolds
                                    Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Geof
                                      • May 2001

If you can get a good price on the MC-12B then I think it makes sense to make a move (Assuming it sounds decent of course). I agree that Lexicon is much quicker to embrace new technology and provide updates than Proceed. Heck, I (and other early PMDT owners) waited over a YEAR for them to solve some of the most basic usability issues with the PMDT - and that was software only (and I am still sorta pissed at them about that). I also think there might be something more in the future for the MC-12...It's got room to expand to an inordinate number of DSP's and it also has those 4 Mic jacks on the rear panel..... Could room EQ be in the future? I don't know and I don't want to spread rumors or I'll get jumped, but the future worthiness of the MC-12 seems decent at this point in time.

Like I said above I'm planning on doing the AVP upgrade but if it costs too much or comes too late or doesn't fulfill my needs or even if I get a whim for a new toy before it's released, I may start looking around, and the MC-12B is on the top of that "look around" list. Too, if there is a difference between an upgraded AVPII and a new AVPII then I think I'll move along....

Geof
                                      Geof

Comment

• htaholic
                                        • Apr 2001

It has been a long time since anyone has posted to this thread. Is there any recent news or gossip regarding the future of our beloved AVP, or the upgrade path to the AVP2?

Regards,

Richard S
                                        Richard S

Comment

• Geof
                                          • May 2001

The upgrade is supposed to be coming this quarter. I understand the new AVPII will released first and then the upgrade for existing AVP's will be released a month or so after that. I do not know if there will be any differences between a new AVPII and an upgraded AVP.

There will be no Logic 7 option. In fact Madrigal pulled Logic 7 from the Levinson No 40 as well.

Geof
                                          Geof

Comment

• greynolds
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Geof
                                            There will be no Logic 7 option. In fact Madrigal pulled Logic 7 from the Levinson No 40 as well.
                                            Are both of these confirmed from Madrigal? I know the version of the No. 40 manual that's available makes no mention of Logic 7, but I'm wondering if you've received additional confirmation.

Geoffrey Reynolds
                                            Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Geof
                                              • May 2001

Are both of these confirmed from Madrigal? I know the version of the No. 40 manual that's available makes no mention of Logic 7, but I'm wondering if you've received additional confirmation.
                                              Yes, consider it confirmed. Will it always be the case? Who knows. Madrigal wanted consistent surround modes for both the AVPII and the No 40 and the only way to do that was to eliminate it on the No 40.

Geof
                                              Geof

Comment

• mikefung
                                                • Mar 2002

The last time I emailed Todd Sutherland, he mentioned the AVP2 will be available late March, which is 3 weeks away. The AVP upgrade will be available 4-6 weeks afterwards. This is consistent with the previous schedules that he gave. I guess we will see in a few weeks.

Comment

• htaholic
                                                  • Apr 2001

:cry: Sorry to quote another forum...

From the AVS board

" AVP Upgrade Info:
                                                  I recieved this E-mail from Madrigal
                                                  There are a number of options these are U.S prices
                                                  AVP TO AVP2 Dealer upgrade $2,500
                                                  AVP TO AVP2 Factory upgrade $2,800
                                                  Plus six channel analog input option for the AVP or AVP2 add $1000.00 to the above for dealer upgrade. Plus six channel analog input option for the AVP or AVP2 add $1300.00 to the above for factory upgrade. New faceplate with AVP2 logo add $300.00 factory only. The performance of the upgraded unit will be identical to a new AVP2
                                                  These will include a new manual"

Here is the link for those interested.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132128[url]

Regards,
                                                  Richard

Richard S
                                                  Richard S

Comment

• greynolds
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by htaholic
                                                    :cry: Sorry to quote another forum...

From the AVS board

" AVP Upgrade Info:
                                                    I recieved this E-mail from Madrigal
                                                    There are a number of options these are U.S prices
                                                    AVP TO AVP2 Dealer upgrade $2,500
                                                    AVP TO AVP2 Factory upgrade $2,800
                                                    Plus six channel analog input option for the AVP or AVP2 add $1000.00 to the above for dealer upgrade. Plus six channel analog input option for the AVP or AVP2 add $1300.00 to the above for factory upgrade. New faceplate with AVP2 logo add $300.00 factory only. The performance of the upgraded unit will be identical to a new AVP2
                                                    These will include a new manual"

Here is the link for those interested.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132128[url]

Regards,
                                                    Richard
                                                    Yikes - they want $4500 for a full upgrade at the factory, including the new faceplate and six channel analog input. To me, it sounds like they're asking a bit much, assuming the retail price for the new unit will be around $6000 like they had been saying. You would be better off selling your existing AVP on ebay or audiogon and then buying a whole new unit It looks like the going price for a used AVP is still a little over $2000.

Geoffrey Reynolds
                                                    Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Lex
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Apr 2001

Yikes, that's a substantial upgrade if that holds true! Who wants to be first given Madrigal's track record with the AVP to date? I would sure hate to spend all that money and wind up with yet more issues down the line. Gets to be like continually buying virus protection software, none of which works, so you just keep buying and buying. I certainly hope that's not the case.

When I upgraded from the DC-1 to the MC-1, it was like 1900 bucks. That's a lot more reasonable than this nearly 5K upgrade!

Lex
                                                      Doug

Comment

• torbenibsen
                                                        • Oct 2008

Mark Levinson 360S DAC

Hi

I own a ML 360S DAC. Do any one know if somone have made a patch so I can use the build in volume control??

From ML website

**********************************
                                                        The superior processing power in the 360S may also prove to have virtues beyond the bounds of straight D/A conversion. The multiple SHARCs not only give it greater ability to deal with existing compression/decompression algorithms ? such as Dolby Digital, DTS, and MPEG ? but also endow it with the potential for DSP control of volume and equalization. The 360S I reviewed did not have these software features because Madrigal is still evaluating them, but the hardware is there. (Eliminating the preamp and the extra interconnects really does make a difference in improving the sound quality of high-resolution systems. Such features are certain to become more important as studios push the noise floors of their recordings down.)

Best regards Torben Ibsen

Comment

• Lex
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Apr 2001

ok, boy this is an old thread, Proceed has been a defunct brand for years. not sure what the ML has to do with it other than both being from Harman International anyway?
                                                          Doug

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by torbenibsen
                                                            Hi

I own a ML 360S DAC. Do any one know if somone have made a patch so I can use the build in volume control??

From ML website

The superior processing power in the 360S may also prove to have virtues beyond the bounds of straight D/A conversion. The multiple SHARCs not only give it greater ability to deal with existing compression/decompression algorithms ? such as Dolby Digital, DTS, and MPEG ? but also endow it with the potential for DSP control of volume and equalization. The 360S I reviewed did not have these software features because Madrigal is still evaluating them, but the hardware is there. (Eliminating the preamp and the extra interconnects really does make a difference in improving the sound quality of high-resolution systems. Such features are certain to become more important as studios push the noise floors of their recordings down.)

Best regards Torben Ibsen
                                                            The Mark Levinson No. 360 was launched in 1998, the last available software update I ever saw was in 2003 and it was a bug fix

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"