X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhuskins
    • Aug 2003

New Member/Halo Aficionado

I just wanted to let everybody know that I joined up at HTGuide. I really like the idea of a dedicated area for Halo users. I'm sure I'll find myself at home over here.

For those of you who don't know me from AVS, I happen to be one of the largest Halo dealers in the states (located in Texas) and use the C1/A51/A21/T3 in my personal home theater. I couldn't be happier.

I've compared this setup to many other top competitors and I have yet to see anything that makes me want to swap it out.

Anyway, it's good to be here and everybody feel free to ask me questions in this thread - that way I'll get notified.

thanks,

Brent Huskins
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey Brent, good to see you here. We've batted around your name already in Halo discussion. We're seeing more and more Parasound users show up here to discuss units.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Brent, welcome to The Guide. It's nice to have a user that's also a retailer active in a dedicated forum! My planned Halo purchase will have to wait until bonus time (end of February), but between now and then, I've got LOTS of questions. Might as well get the ball rolling, eh?

Here's my situation - I have one system for HT and music (50/50 usage). I'm driving a new pair of Aerial Acoustics 7B's which isn't the most efficient speaker (adding a CC-5 ASAP) and need better/more powerful amplification than my Yamaha RX-V1 can give. I'm looking at the Halo line primarily. Ideally I'd buy 3 JC-1's for the mains and center, but at $9,000 MSRP that isn't going to happen this year. Alternatives are buy 2 JC-1s now and another later, or go with the A-51.

So, the $64,000 question: What will I be losing sonically from the JC-1s by going with the A-51?

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hey Brent, you around?

P.S. What is it with HT/music people and carpentry, cabinetry, woodworking? You, me, dave, Erik. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• mahadave
          • Aug 2003

I am also a new member. I have found a lot of great info both here and at AVS. I am one of the people left behind with the implosion of Madrigal/Proceed into the HK group. I have a 1998 vintage design AVP with current firmware and an Amp 5 as my main equipment right now which I was looking to upgrade. I use ProAc for my surrounds (Response 1.8s (LR) and 1SCs (rears) with a CC1 for center and a ProAc sub). I had originally planned to stay with this line until it was abandoned by Madrigal and the new AVP will apparently be rebadged and released this fall under the Levinson line.
          Anyway, I had looked very seriously at replacing this unit (at least the processor) with the new Parasound C2. I have scoured the boards and seen all the great comments and reviwer's articles. Also, was positively inclined due to J Curl's important role with the early Levinson stuff.
          Anyway, I went to Good Guys yesterday to see the C2 and it is beautiful. The craftsmanship and level of aesthetic is stunning.
          I sat down for a quick listen and heard an SACD through the C2 and the companion A51 from a Philips source. It was good, with excellent taut bass and reasonable highs. I have to say I was a bit disappointed after all I had read, as to my ear the highs were on the brittle side and the imaging fair at best. Granted setup has a lot to do with it and they were running the equipment through an Energy surround setup (total for speakers was about 4-5000), so this was not junk..I have no idea re the cables..I assume Monster, but I don't know.
          The result is now I have to find another source to audition this equipment, so I can hear it with a different setup. Also, to be fair I will go listen to the Anthem AVM20 to see if its more in tune with my preferences. I would be interested in others commments on hearing the Parasound at GG vs. other locations and equipment.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

mahadave, I'm very interested to hear your feedback if/when you do more auditioning! If anything, the opinions I've heard about the Halo equipment have been in the direction of not being "bright" ENOUGH, not overly bright. I'm wondering if it was the speakers, or room. Keep us in the loop--I like hearing objective opinions!

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• netarc
              • Jul 2003

The result is now I have to find another source to audition this equipment, so I can hear it with a different setup. Also, to be fair I will go listen to the Anthem AVM20 to see if its more in tune with my preferences. I would be interested in others commments on hearing the Parasound at GG vs. other locations and equipment.
              Hey, Dave...noticed you're in Northern CA ... if you're in the Bay Area, you're welcome to come by and take a listen to my C2 setup.

It may/may not suit your purposes, though, since I'm currently running it thru and Adcom 7605 (had a demo A52 for a bit, but had to return it ) ... anyway, also have a friend/client who has the full C2/A51 setup who may be up for giving an audtion.

If you're interested, give me a shout...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"