X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Music4Life
    • May 2006

Bookshelf Speaker Recommendation

I sold my ATC SCM7 (used it for more than 2 years). I want another bookshelf speaker that will go along with my A21. I scrapped the idea of "digital thing". I just need speaker similar price to the ATC. Any recommendations? Thank you.
  • Mike_Schmidt
    • Mar 2009

Proac studio 110's or for something a little fancier there reference range.

Comment

• JBM
      • Sep 2009

My dad and I each got a pair last year and we haven't looked back.

Comment

• Music4Life
        • May 2006

Originally posted by JBM
        http://www.thelsagroup.com/lsa1.html#statement

My dad and I each got a pair last year and we haven't looked back.
        It looks like an interesting monitors but they don't have an int'l dealer here.

Comment

• Music4Life
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Mike_Schmidt
          Proac studio 110's or for something a little fancier there reference range.
          I am looking at this monitors for awhile but I still need to consider some more.

Comment

• blownrx7
            • Dec 2004

Totem Model 1 is an excellent choice

I had the Totem Acoustic Model 1 a while back and I regret not holding on to them. Silky smoooth with amazing bass esp. for their size.
            The Model 1 Signatures are supposed to be even better but I always had a hard time with the premium they charged. Others didn't though as you'll see if you surf around.
            Another one to consider that I never had the opportunity to audition is the ProAc 1SC. Another well reviewed compact speaker.
            hth

Comment

• Music4Life
              • May 2006

Originally posted by blownrx7
              I had the Totem Acoustic Model 1 a while back and I regret not holding on to them. Silky smoooth with amazing bass esp. for their size.
              The Model 1 Signatures are supposed to be even better but I always had a hard time with the premium they charged. Others didn't though as you'll see if you surf around.
              Another one to consider that I never had the opportunity to audition is the ProAc 1SC. Another well reviewed compact speaker.
              hth
              I called the Totem's showroom today. I book myself for a demo sometime this week. I haven't heard this speaker before. Not so popular here. Audio enthusiast here are mostly, B&W, Dynaudio, ProAc, PMC, Focal, ATC, KEF owners. The model 1 signature's woofer looks like a dynaudio focus 140. Any relationship between them?

I heard ProAc 1SC before, it's a bit bright for my liking. It is paired with the CA840 int amp and CDP when I heard it in a showroom. Very good focus though.

Comment

• Music4Life
                • May 2006

I have narrowed down my choices, I haven't got a chance to demo it though. ProAC 1SC and ATC SCM19. Thoughts? Thanks.

Comment

• blownrx7
                  • Dec 2004

I'd go with the ProAc 1SC. If nothing else, the resale value on that holds up better than most other bookshelf because of it's reputation.
                  I've never heard the ATC's so cannot comment on them good or bad but the one thing I do know is the popularity of the ProAC is higher by my observation. Now that is never a true measurement of quality (think VHS vs Beta etc etc) but like I said before, if you are unhappy, you'll be able to get out with a lot more cash in your pocket.

Comment

• jbreezy5
                    • May 2009

Maybe consider the following:

Usher Be-718 ($2800)
                    Aurum Cantus V2M ($1900)
                    Mark & Daniels Ruby ($1800; these will make good use of your power amp)
                    Wharfedale Opus 2 ($2200; these are very large bookshelves)
                    AAD Reference Silver-1 ($1550)
                    Energy RC-10 ($500; shockingly good)

The thing w/Proacs is they typically are designed to work well w/tube amps, having a high impedance, so they will be easy to drive. You have waaaay more power than they will ever crave. This could result in having to turn the volume up pretty high before the music comes alive. I would recommend staying w/a bookshelf speaker that reaches to 4 ohms, has a rather low sensitivity of 87dB and below, or has both a low impedance and sensitivity.

The ATC SCM 19's you mentioned should fit the bill nicely too!

-JBreezy-

Comment

• Music4Life
                      • May 2006

Thanks guys. I will let you know later what I got.

Comment

• Music4Life
                        • May 2006

There are 2 seller on our local second hand hifi online shop that sells the ATC 19 and 1SC for similar price of US$1,300. I am deadlock right now.

Comment

• Jon SS
                          • Oct 2002

I use Monitor Audio Gold Reference with my Halos, sounds great.

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
                            • Mar 2009

I drive my Proac D28's with a A21 and your right they dont need much power and you need some volume but they do sing at any level. These speakers are designed by ear. So many butts, LOL the ATC does eat power up and will take that amp

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"