X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CPALIU
    • Jun 2006

Speaker recommendation for small rom

I would like to put in some stero speakers and possibly a center and sub later down the road in a room that is 13x10.5 ft. Should I be considering bookshelf or floor stand speakers for a room of this size and also which model? The speakers will be used primarily for Movies with some use for music.
  • JKalman
    • Nov 2005

Since you can't do anything about the size of your room... If you can afford to get 803D speakers, I would go with those. If not, then possibly the 803S or 804S. If you don't want floorstanders and prefer monitors, then 805S. Considering how small the room is, the 805S may be the best choice, but a room that small will distort the sound from any speaker, so I would just get the best one possible without getting into huge bass output from models like the 802D-800D (thus my initial recommendation).

If B&W isn't your only choice and considering the size of your room, I would look into electrostatics or magneplanars . The Magneplanars will probably be the easiest to place in a room of that size, and can be closer to the walls than most speakers, the electrostatics as well, but likely not as much so as the magneplanars. You could also consider the B&W customs, they have a bunch of in-wall models on their website you can look at, I've been considering replacing my Niles speakers in the more important (not as important as my listening room though) rooms of my house with them (WAF problems...). I would look into Maggies and customizations for their electronics, since they are a little dated now.

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

More importantly, what's your budget?
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

Save a few hundred for room treatments.

Comment

• CPALIU
          • Jun 2006

I would like to keep it under $2500 for the two front speakers only. My primariy concern is getting a speaker that isn't over kill for a room of this size. It is possible that all this equipment maybe moved to a larger room (about 2x bigger). The speakres will be used mostly for DVD movies with some partial use for music. The low end freq. isn't a major concern to me but I would like to have speakers that arn't totally lacking in the low end freq. area.

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by CPALIU
            I would like to keep it under $2500 for the two front speakers only. My primariy concern is getting a speaker that isn't over kill for a room of this size. It is possible that all this equipment maybe moved to a larger room (about 2x bigger). The speakres will be used mostly for DVD movies with some partial use for music. The low end freq. isn't a major concern to me but I would like to have speakers that arn't totally lacking in the low end freq. area.

if your like me and want to save square footage then maybe look at the B&W FPMs. You can get the largest FPM which is the FPM6s for under $2500. They do need a sub, but the quality in this series is fantastic...very under rated. B&W rates the FPM series "slightly better then the 600 series".

Hang them on the wall and you have only lost 3.5 inches of space in your room, and they look like pieces of art.

Comment

• RH Customs
              • May 2006

Some probably will not like this, but I would recommend the 300 series.

RH
              "Yes, but these go up to aleven" Spinal Tap

RH
              :-y

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"