X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Music4Life
    • May 2006

What will I buy first for $3000+?

I am planning to upgrade parts of my system. What shall I buy, a brand new DAC (PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC - $3,000) or Second hand Speaker (Dynaudio C1-$3,000+)?

PS Audio
    PS Audio is a company specializing in high-fidelity audio components equipment for audiophiles and the sound recording industry. It currently produces audio amplifiers, preamplifiers, power related products, digital-to-analog converters, streaming audio, music management software and cables.

C1

I need an expert advise before the purchase. Thank you.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

The speaker is definitely the better "investment" if you ask me...

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

+1
      Dynaudio is great stuff! I love their sound.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• lofi-ear
        • Jan 2009

Depends on what you want. If you want better sound, buy the Dynaudio (I've only heard 52SE and it was great for its size and price). If you want a hi-tech gadget with a lot of technologies to boast to your friends, get the DAC.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by lofi-ear
          Depends on what you want. If you want better sound, buy the Dynaudio (I've only heard 52SE and it was great for its size and price). If you want a hi-tech gadget with a lot of technologies to boast to your friends, get the DAC.
          And hope to get lucky. There's a good chance that the DAC is outdated before you even get a chance to boast.

The speakers, on the other hand, won't get outdated for many years. Much better to buy these first...

Comment

• Space
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
            And hope to get lucky. There's a good chance that the DAC is outdated before you even get a chance to boast.

The speakers, on the other hand, won't get outdated for many years. Much better to buy these first...
            This is a good point. Speaker design technology evolves but not overnight like digital devices. Plus what good is it a having high-end DAC when you can only HEAR what's coming out of your speakers? I'll quote another post from earlier today--your speakers and listening room probably have a mile of potential upgrade path for every ten yards with your disc player/DAC.

If you're trying to weigh "bang for the buck", consider a larger 3-way speaker from a less expensive line than this Dynaudio. IME this will do more to light up the room, make the music come alive.

Comment

• brodricj
              • Aug 2008

The PWD is a killer piece of gear, and it will be even better when the bridge is available. At it's introductory trade-up pricing it would have been a no-brainer decision.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"