Options for 5.1 speakers? ($2000-3000 range)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmr15
    • Jun 2004

Options for 5.1 speakers? ($2000-3000 range)

What speakers do you guys like in the range of $2000-3000 for a 5.1 set up? I will listen to 75% HT and 25% music. I really want the fronts to be good for 2 channel music. Unfortunately, due to room set up, I'll have to use bookshelf size speakers. The room is approximately 14x23 ft.

For the fronts I've listened to Paradigm studio 40's and did like them. I've also heard the B&W 805's and loved them but they are out of my range for a complete set up. I was hoping that I would like the 705's, but they just seemed muddy in the midranges to me. The store owner did an a/b test for me with the 805/705's. I'm planning on listening to dynaudio 52se's as well.

Btw, the above price range is exluding the price of a sub. I'm considering the Hsu Vtf-3. I do want a sub that is "musical" but still can deliver with HT. The vtf-3 seems to get great reviews and supposedly has the sound of $1000+ subs for much less cost.

Any info/opinions regarding the above would be greatly appreciated. :T

Thanks
  • Bob Santos
    • Mar 2001

cmr15, Welcome to HTG!!
    Definately give the Dynaudio's a listen.
    I myself haven't listened to many bookshelf speakers. Maybe some of the other people here will have more expirience with the bookshelf's.
    However when shopping for my current front towers, and center I listened mainly to B&W. Paradigm, and Dynaudio. I ended up with the Dynaudio's.
    Thier sound was a perfect match for my ears. You ofcourse will have to listen, and decide what sound is for you.
    It would definately help to know what you are going to use to drive them, as some amps match better with certain speakers than others.

Comment

• cmr15
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Bob Santos
      cmr15, Welcome to HTG!!
      Definately give the Dynaudio's a listen.
      I myself haven't listened to many bookshelf speakers. Maybe some of the other people here will have more expirience with the bookshelf's.
      However when shopping for my current front towers, and center I listened mainly to B&W. Paradigm, and Dynaudio. I ended up with the Dynaudio's.
      Thier sound was a perfect match for my ears. You ofcourse will have to listen, and decide what sound is for you.
      It would definately help to know what you are going to use to drive them, as some amps match better with certain speakers than others.
      Thanks for the response Bob. I currently have a marantz sr7000 (5x100w). I was thinking of getting the outlaw combo pre/pro 950 and 7x100w 7100 amp. However, I have spent some time in the Club Rotel area and am now considering a Rotel receiver 1056 (5x75W) with a Rotel 2x130W stereo amp dedicated to drving the fronts... apparently, I would be able to redirect 2 of the 75w channels from the Rotel receiver to another room. I'll be listening to the Rotel's soon locally. As for the Outlaws, unfortunately, you can't listen the Outlaws unless you purchase them. I have also read mixed reviews of the outlaw 950. Either way I'm looking to have 5.1 in the den and redirect 2 channels of power to the adjacent living room as "multi room."

Someone also recommended that I use my marantz AS a pre/pro for now, buy a better amp than I would otherwise be able to afford, and get a new pre/pro when I have the funds. I have (at most) $1500-2000 to spend on a receiver and/or separates.

BTW, what are you driving the Dynaudios with?

Comment

• Bob Santos
        • Mar 2001

I have heard the Rotel, and Dynaudio are a good match.
        I have the Dynaudio Audience 82's, and the 122c center.
        I am driving them with a Citation 7.1 amp. When I bought the Dynaudio's I was running a Lexicon MC-1 pre/pro. The past year and a half I kinda layed off the audio/video a bit to due some work to the house. So I sold the MC-1 while it still had some value knowing when I got back to paying attension to my system it would need to be replaced ( well maybe not need, but want).
        So at the time I sold it I bought a Outlaw 950 to use until I had the time and money to do some changes to my system.
        Thats where I am now. I still have the 950 in there, and I am gonna start doing some processor shopping.
        The 950 is not a bad preamp, it definately isnt in the same league sonically as others I have had in my system ( Theta, B&K, and Lexicon ) . Oddly enough my all time favorite has bee the B&K Ref 30 I had. So I am definately considering the Ref 50 with the low prices they can be had for nowadays.
        I wont buy It until I give Rotels a listen as well. The 1068 is a bit less expensive, and has a nice feature list, and I am im in love with the idea of the screen on the 1098. We'll see.

OK back to you :B ... I like the idea of using the Marantz as a pre/pro, and getting a better amp alot. That said even though the Dyn 52se's are 4 ohm, with a sensitivity of 86db. They recommend only 65watts power for a medium size room. So the Rotel receiver with the 2x130 watt amp for the mains should be ok.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Also check out B&W's, Energy, Kef, Paradigm, Polk, PSB, Totem etc.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• leeda2
            • May 2003

Originally posted by cmr15
            Someone also recommended that I use my marantz AS a pre/pro for now, buy a better amp than I would otherwise be able to afford, and get a new pre/pro when I have the funds. I have (at most) $1500-2000 to spend on a receiver and/or separates.

BTW, what are you driving the Dynaudios with?
            i'm confused about your budget. do you have an additional $1500 to $2000 to add to your original $2k to $3k? if so, that would provide some more options.

anyhow, i second the suggestion that you use your current receiver as a pre-pro and use the money on a better amp. you could consider a higher powered outlaw or even look at sherbourn, ati, or the b&k amps.

as for speakers, i auditioned b&w's (601) and paradigms (studio 20) and ended up with the paradigms. i'm running a b&k ref50 with an ati 7 channel amp. cannot complain about the sound at all. for my ears, the studio 20s provide enough crispness without being overly harsh.

whatever you decide, just research a lot and audition as much as possible. you'll ultimately have to be your own judge regardless of what others claim sounds better.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"