• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lbstyling
    • Oct 2008

halo a52 -second hand wanted!

hello,
    ive just found this forum-fantastic!
    i desperately want to buy a halo a52 power amp-second hand.
    i cant find any in the uk, so i was hoping someone might know of one for sale somewhere else? i would rather it was in the EU as imporing from the US is rather expensive for us here because of import taxes.
    unless of course the US price was very good!

thanks in advance people :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, lbstyling! Welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

You may want to post a wanted ad in our "Pawn Shop" area. That's the area of the Guide that people go to, to buy and sell.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• brodricj
      • Aug 2008

I suspect you'll find that the Parasound amps sold in the US are 110v only. You'll need to have it converted to 230v or use a step-down transformer.

Comment

• stevefish69
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by brodricj
        I suspect you'll find that the Parasound amps sold in the US are 110v only. You'll need to have it converted to 230v or use a step-down transformer.
        IIRC my 1205a and 1500a are easily converted internally by changing a link on the main transformer wiring. I have the instructions somewhere if anyone ever needs them BTW.

Not sure if the A52 is the same, but a quick mail to Parasound will confirm either way :T

I'm keeping an eye out in all the english classifieds for you BTW :B
        Audiolab 8000AP, Parasound HCA-1500a & 1205a, Toshiba HD-XE1, Playstation 3 (60GB) , Marantz CD52MkII, Sky+250, Kef Reference 3.2, XQ2C (Bi-amped), 2005.2 Eggs for Surrounds, SVS PC-Ultra 13 with BFD & Gramma, Panasonic TX36PD30 & PT-AE500E, Sapphire 6ft electric Screen, Mark Grant cables

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by brodricj
          They can be rewired. You need a new US-style fuse (1x1/4" Slow Blow fuse with correct rating for the amp you're converting) and you may need an M4x10mm machine screw depending on what model you're converting (at least the A21, A51, and JC1 need the screw).

Peter

Comment

• lbstyling
            • Oct 2008

i cant post in the pawn shop area yet-i havnt been a member long enough!-what else could i do??

Comment

• stevefish69
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by lbstyling
              i cant post in the pawn shop area yet-i havnt been a member long enough!-what else could i do??
              Why not put wanted posters out on all the english sites - Mods please don't shoot me for posting the links but here goes (Please remove if i've broken and site rules regarding links)

This website is for sale! avtalk.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, avtalk.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

http://www.adverts.hififorsale.com/home.asp (Just seen your ad on here :T )

Plus keep a look out on here and the Ameriacan sites as well - HT Guide, Spot, shack and AVS

You have PM with a link to one in the Uk
              Audiolab 8000AP, Parasound HCA-1500a & 1205a, Toshiba HD-XE1, Playstation 3 (60GB) , Marantz CD52MkII, Sky+250, Kef Reference 3.2, XQ2C (Bi-amped), 2005.2 Eggs for Surrounds, SVS PC-Ultra 13 with BFD & Gramma, Panasonic TX36PD30 & PT-AE500E, Sapphire 6ft electric Screen, Mark Grant cables

Comment

• lbstyling
                • Oct 2008

ive posted wanted ads on many of these previously and have recieved some responces but all at just out of my price range-

so ive temporarily accepted defeat and bought a Pioneer VSX-AX2AV-S as a stop-gap till finances allow me to get the amp i realy want- a halo a51. it will also do as a processor/pre for a (when i get one) halo to play hd audio -at least till i can afford a lexicon or somthing!
                £120 wasnt bad for the pioneer though! (by the way-170w rms x 7.....i think not.)

while im on here -talking to people with a REAL understanding of hifi-
                (ive found many of the members of forums for av are in a bubble where they think that somehow if there reciever has 200wpc and 10 channels, and they attach 10 x $20 speakers-as long as they have 'master audio' on the front and its connected via hdmi its better than anything else)

is the pioneer as a processor/pre into a halo going to be a serious bottleneck?- i assume its a 5channel dac as apposed to 3 stereo ones?
                is there a processor with hdmi conectivity available for reasonable mone s/h i should look out for? idealy i would plug my sb3 into it for stereo aswel.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Well, you wouldn't be the first one to use a receiver as a preamp, output to separate amps. That's definitely a step up from using the receiver by itself. Matter of fact, I myself use a Denon HDMI 1.3 receiver as an outboard HDMI 1.3 HBR decoder, output via multichannel through my C1 pre/pro to Halo amps.

HDMI pre/pros are becoming more available, although HDMI 1.3 options are still moderate prices and up. It depends on what you consider "reasonable". You can get a Denon or Onkyo HDMI 1.3 receiver, to use as a processor, for $700 or more. Or, of course, you could wait for the new Parasound controllers which are going to be "under $2500" and up.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• lbstyling
                    • Oct 2008

i just got me a halo a51-took quite some time all in all but i got one now :E ;x( this things good.- thats quite a step up from a rotel 1062 isnt it!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"