X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msasseville
    • Aug 2008

Halo A51 or A52?

Hi there!
    I am new here! And quiet happy to discover this forum because I am in the process of upgrading my system. I have an ARCAM avr 300 and I would like to get more punch and nuances while I am listening movies or Music. And I thought that adding and Halo A51 or A52 would be a great update, using my Arcam only as a pre avr amp (well the Arcam could take care of the 6 and 7 channels back surround at least for a while before I get an Halo A21 or A23). My speakers are B&W serie 700 (for front and center and serie 600 (for surround left, right and back left and right). My room is 10 feet large by 20 feet long but is open partly on one side to an other room that makes about the same size (in other words, my living room where I listened music and movies) is connected to the dining room.

Now, given this context, my question to you all good experts in this domain: Should I go with the A51 or the A52. From what I read here, it seems that more power is always better! I am tempted to agree with this opinion, but I wonder if the improvement will be really noticeable (given the $$$ it implies). Will it makes a big difference? I have to say that I like to listen at high level. I think I have a little deaf problem that will come worse and worse with time! The saler of Parasound in Montréal (Canada) told me that the A52 will be enough for my needs, but I still wonder and hope you can help me with nuanced advises!
    I do hope that some of you had a chance to compare in situ the two amps!

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English writings. French is my mother language!
    All the best!
    Michel
    Michel

Arcam AVR 300, B&W serie 700 front, B&W serie 600 back, DVDO Scan HD, Pioneer Elite PLasma 42", DVD player Rotel, CD player ARCAM 9
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Heya, Michel, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

Yes, this question has come up multiple times here in the club. It may give you more info if you do a search here, or scroll back through threads. Several years ago, when the Halo line came out, I wondered about the same thing, whether I should buy the A21 and A51, or the A23 and A52. At the time, my theater was smallish/medium-sized, and I used highly efficient Klipsch speakers. The A23 and A52 would have been more than enough for me.

For many reasons, though, I decided on the A21 and A51, the higher powered amps, and I'm very, very glad that I did. A couple of the reasons-

- I've had some high-powered, all-out performance sessions with my system, and have never had power problems with the higher amps

- I've moved, and now have a noticeably larger theater, requiring more power

- (perhaps most important) I no longer use my Klipsch speakers in my theater, and have moved on to less efficient speakers requiring more power. (and am considering even higher speakers that require MUCH more power) If I had bought the A23 and A52 years ago, I would have to sell them and spend the money all over again for the A21 and A51, losing a lot of $$$ in the process. But I'm covered, because I bought the more powerful stuff to begin with, which has made me much more future proof.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• msasseville
      • Aug 2008

Dear Chris!

Thank you so much for your reply. If I understand you correctly, Halo A52 will be more than enough for the type of speakers I have right now but might be not enough if I change them in the future for something that need more power. Well, have you get a chance to try the A52 with speakers B&W serie Nautilus? If so, do you think the A52 will make it?

I agree that it is always better to try to see in advance what could be the needs in the future. Is there any way i could figure out at what point the A52 will not be enough? For example, concerning the speakers, what do you mean by «less efficient speakers»? If I buy in the future B&W serie nautilus, would you say that they are less efficient thant the series 700. How do we know that a speaker is more or less efficient than an other). Concerning the size of the room, would you say that a 10X20 feet room is adequate to th A52 or it would be better with the A51 already?

Thanks again, when you have time (os someone else) to continue to give me some advices.
      All the best!
      Michel
      Michel

Arcam AVR 300, B&W serie 700 front, B&W serie 600 back, DVDO Scan HD, Pioneer Elite PLasma 42", DVD player Rotel, CD player ARCAM 9

Comment

• Vince Helm
        • Mar 2006

Hey Michel,

I have an Halo A21 on the fronts and A52 on the surrounds in a room that is about 18 x 20 with 10ft ceiling. Speakers are all 85-87db. Works well but I can run out of dynamic headroom. I wish that I could have purchased the A51. If I could, I would upgrade to the A51. You'll really appreciate the extra power reserves on your center channel!!! Do what you can afford and if that allows for the A52 then it will work very well as mine does for me; if that alows for the A51 then you're set for a very long time with no "what if".
        Kind regards
        Vince

Comment

• msasseville
          • Aug 2008

Hello Vince,

You wrote:

I have an Halo A21 on the fronts and A52 on the surrounds in a room that is about 18 x 20 with 10ft ceiling. Speakers are all 85-87db. Works well but I can run out of dynamic headroom. I wish that I could have purchased the A51. If I could, I would upgrade to the A51. You'll really appreciate the extra power reserves on your center channel!!! Do what you can afford and if that allows for the A52 then it will work very well as mine does for me; if that alows for the A51 then you're set for a very long time with no "what if".
          Kind regards
          Vince

Thanks a lot for your comments. The more I think, the more I read, the more I am tempted by the A51. Of course it is more expansive than the A52, but from what I understand, I might buy this amplifier for a long time... So... I'll take an other day to think about it (and maybe read some other advices)
          Thanks again!
          Yours.
          michel
          Michel

Comment

• yellowbalt
            • Sep 2008

Anyone has compared A51 with any ICEPower Amps like Wyred4Sound or D-Sonic? I was reading their forums but there was not direct answer to it at all. I was so interested with A51 vs 500ASP/1000AS

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by yellowbalt
              Anyone has compared A51 with any ICEPower Amps like Wyred4Sound or D-Sonic? I was reading their forums but there was not direct answer to it at all. I was so interested with A51 vs 500ASP/1000AS
              That's two very different technologies. The ICEPower amps are cheaper to own (electricity bill) and hardly output any heat at all. The A51 runs warm and requires proper ventilation. If you live in a warmer climate and have noisy airconditioning, you will probably like the ICEPower better as they let you listen to the music/watch the movie without interference of the AC rumbling away to keep you cool...

Peter

Comment

• yellowbalt
                • Sep 2008

I understand and have read those kind of attribute between the two but can you give any idea regarding SQ between the two just for comparison? I understand its not easy since very rare people will own both at the same time.

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                That's two very different technologies. The ICEPower amps are cheaper to own (electricity bill) and hardly output any heat at all. The A51 runs warm and requires proper ventilation. If you live in a warmer climate and have noisy airconditioning, you will probably like the ICEPower better as they let you listen to the music/watch the movie without interference of the AC rumbling away to keep you cool...

Peter

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

I understand and have read those kind of attribute between the two but can you give any idea regarding SQ between the two just for comparison? I understand its not easy since very rare people will own both at the same time.
                  They both sound good. To get a meaningful result you have to audition both amps with the speaker you intend to use. (Amps may behave differently depending on what speaker is used).

The 1000W ICE amp drops a bit above 16kHz. The 500W is better in this respect.

If you have highly efficient speakers, idle noise may be an issue. Again, it's best to audition both amps to see which one works better with your speakers...

If you don't have the luxury of trying both, the Halo is a better bet. It is guaranteed to sound good with almost any speaker. However, you get a heavy amp that is difficult to install because of ventilation and size requirements. Pay attention to the fact that the A51 is too deep for many regular racks - often a rack with open back is required.

The ICEPower is lightweight and not so deep and you can often stack equipment directly on top of it (contrary to the Halo that requires 6" of space for ventilation).

Peter

Comment

• yellowbalt
                    • Sep 2008

Thank you for your very honest comment. Though not too much information I'm looking for but at least I have found another honest person who can give a fair comment.
                    Have a nice day.
                    Danny

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

That's Peter--quite a standup guy. :T
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• yellowbalt
                        • Sep 2008

I'm actually in the process of ordering a wyred4sound too but trying to get more detail interview with the owner of having both, I still can't get a direct answer of why the owner thought that ICE amp will "destroy parasound A21"
                        see post #291 here.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

I'm actually in the process of ordering a wyred4sound too but trying to get more detail interview with the owner of having both, I still can't get a direct answer of why the owner thought that ICE amp will "destroy parasound A21"
                          Could it simply be a power issue? The ICEpower 1000 can deliver 2.5 times the power compared to the A21. That's quite a difference...

Those wyred4sound amps are priced very agressively. Seems like a very good buy!

Peter

Comment

• mattburk
                            • Feb 2003

Any one try the axiom amp or know how it compares to other amps?
                            www.mycstone.com
                            www.coverednow.com
                            www.biarenton.com

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"