X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Parasound and Martin Logans

I was in Seattle this past week, and just happened to see that Martin Logan was doing their US premier of their new flagship model, the CLX, at a Magnolia Hi-Fi there in Seattle. So I went, and was TOTALLY blown away by the performance. For a while now, I've thought that my next (and last) speaker upgrade will be either Martin Logans or Magnepans. Well, I want these pretty bad, but of course they're $20,000+. 8O

Well, the president of the Martin Logan fan club got invited to the Martin Logan factory in Kansas to hear the new CLX models, and he was blown away, too. That's his picture. I found it interesting that ML chose to use a Parasound Halo A21 for their demo! With a large electrostat, I would have assumed that you would need a massive amount of power. At my demo, though, the ML design reps that were there recommended either tube amps or a tube pre/pro to warm the sound, but said that even solid-state, 250 wpc should be sufficient.

So, kinda cool that these high-end speaker manufacturers keep using Parasound gear to demo their stuff.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • timztunz
    • Jul 2008

I have a JC-2 and D3 coming thru 8 yr old ML reQUESTS powered by a vintage McIntosh MC2500 and the sound is just magical. Of course nothing compared to the new CLX's but IMHO just fantastic. Well, it WAS magical until the fits I'm having with the D3 (you can follow that saga in the D3 problem thread). But I have every confidence that it will get resolved and I'll soon be back to sonic nirvana.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Magneplanar speakers needs an amp that can provide a lot of current to drive a purely resistive load. As long a the amp can provide lots of current its no problem.

Electrostats demand an amplifier that can drive an inductive load. Some amps may sound bad, others may even let out the smoke... Electrostats don't need a brute like Magneplanars, but they need an amp that can handle the inductive load without bad side effects. ( Electrostat+Digital amplifier sometimes equals fire and smoke :B )

Peter

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"