• Show
Clear All
  • frasse74
    • May 2004

Automatic calibration?

Hi :T

I have read that the automatic calibration dosent messuare correct
    when they has manually checked it with a sound level meter
    and corrected it they had a much better "sweetspot".
    Has anyone tested it here,if so how much did the correction
    improve your "sweetspot"

frasse74 8)
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

The automatic level calibration is decent, but not perfect. A professional SPL meter will let you do it better. The speaker distance settings almost always need to be manually corrected (especially for the subwoofer, which usually won't be correct after running the automatic calibration).

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

We have several threads here about the auto vs manual calibration. I myself personally use the auto calibration as a starting point, and then manually tweak the settings to even them out and make them more accurate.

The thing about the subwoofer calibration has also come up before--that's the one channel where the distance isn't quite the actual MEASURED distance, but the auto cal will do a much better job of figuring what value to put in there to make it sound most accurate.

Do some playing - you might find something works for you!
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
        We have several threads here about the auto vs manual calibration. I myself personally use the auto calibration as a starting point, and then manually tweak the settings to even them out and make them more accurate.
        Chris, did you ever notice an audible difference between your settings and the C1/C2 automatic calibration setting?

Not counting the subwoofer calibration (which I feel always needs a personal touch), I never bothered to adjust the automatic calibration further. (I probably did it a few times when the C2 was brand new, but I soon got the feeling that the minor auto calibration post-adjustments that I had to do really did not make an audible difference. Disregarding the sub, the software does a very good job IMHO.

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

By and large, no, I didn't notice a huge difference. I agree, that the software seems to do a very good job. Every once in a while, I'd notice that a setting would come back with a larger value deviation, but that was pretty rare. To be honest, no, I'm not someone that can really notice a difference between distance settings of 10 feet vs. 10.5 feet. I can notice gain differences a little more. So while my "tweaking" of settings to even them out did seem to produce a slightly more balanced result, it's been mostly academic.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"