X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

Parasound Amp + Rotel Preamp?

I am considering adding a Parasound A23 Amp to my Rotel RSX 1057 Surround Receiver(using it as the pre for the front two channels). Would this combo sound good together? Does the A23 have a better ability to handle power demands at low speaker impedances than the Rotel RB-1070 or RB-1080 2ch power amps? Thx. Regards, Russ
    Russ
  • linuxtx
    • Apr 2007

While I would absolutely choose the A23 over the RB-1070, I would have a difficult time choosing it over the RB-1080. Simply put that is a lot of extra headroom you are giving up. The Halo series is a step up from the comparable Rotel model, no question, but the A23 doesn't have the power that the RB-1080 has. The RB-1080 is a great sounding amp. If you really want to stick in that budget area, I would give the 1080 a good listen, if you can step up the budget a good bit, give the A21 a listen, but it is also twice the price of the 1080. I think you would be happy with any of them driving your mains.

Comment

• Pookie007
      • Apr 2006

I am using a couple A23 amps in my system. I preferred the sound over the Rotel equipment. These amps have provided plenty of power for my application. At one point I used the amps in conjunction with a receiver. The amp was a huge improvement over the receiver amplification. If you need more power the A21 would be another nice option but price/performance comparison vs the 1080 won't justify the price increase.

A couple things about the Parasound amps I didn't realize when I purchased it, was the trigger is a sub mini connector. I had to get an adapter from Radio Shack to convert from the mini connector every other component in my rack uses. I also had a hum problem at first. I fixed it by filtering my cable line, but I also heard a cheater to remove the ground will also work. The Halo's also run a lot hotter than my Audio Research amp. I haven't had a problem with it overheating, but it does run warm.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"