X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allen M
    • Jan 2004

Parasound Amps

I am in the process of evaluating new amplifiers for use in my home theater. My current set up includes a C-2 processor, Paradigm Studio 60 v3s, CC-570 and ADP-470s.

As for use, my best estimate is about 60% HT and 40% tereo/mutichannel music.

Anyway I've been reading and comparing amps for about two months and have narrowed it down to
    1.) Parasound A51/A52,
    2.) Amplifier Technologies (ATI) AT2000 series,
    3.) Anthem MCA50
    4.) Lexicon LX-5

In general I have found that all the above amps to pretty pretty close sonically, with slight harshness in the ATI. The only thing that I think has prvented me from moving in on the Parasound is that the NJ dealers (I haven't visted them all) have been pretty negative on the Amps. Specifically they point to the lack of musicality of the amps and pointed to weakness in the high frequencies.

So I wanted to get your take on the A51/A52, more specifically what you like and don't like about your amps.
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Hi Allen,

I've used pretty much all Rotel amps from a RB1070 (2x120 watt) till the RB1090 (2x 330 watts). The last one I had was the RB1090, which is more bucks per channel than the A51 that I have now, but on stereo I find the result a lot more pleasing.

Note that I have about 90% stereo and 10% surround, but still have the 5 channel A51.

Its an overall good performer, that can extend deep into the bass, but has lots of detail in all other regions. I don't really agree on the high being bad. But like anyone, those dealers can have their own opinions. I've learned not to really judge by the dealers opinions, but just listen to things myself.

Also, I've had an amp shootout a while ago with some people from a dutch forum and we compared two Vincent Monoblock (full class A), a Krell KSA (2x70watt, 10 years old) and a Chord SPM1200E (2x350watt). All of those amps are priced higher per channel. Final conclusion was that all are good amps and all come with the specific charactistics. The Chord is an incredible amp (at a high high price), the Krell is true high end which is easily noticed, the Vincents are typical class A amps and very good, the Parasound A51 is a amp which sounds correct although not special in a particular area.

So, in my opinion I would go for the Parasound (but surely I'm a bit biased ). If you have a wife or girlfriend, she will appreciate the same looks of the C2 and A51

Ow yah... if you have the money, definitly go for the A51 and not the A52. The extra power you will notice

Comment

• Omen
      • Jan 2004

Allen,

I upgraded my amp from a B&K 7250 to the Halo A52. To be quite honest, I didn't expect such an improvement in sound. I thought I was quite happy with the B&K amp paired with my Sonus Faber Grand Piano Homes until I heard the A52. Simply, the A52 brought out the best in my GPH's - tighter bass, smooth detailed midrange, and clear (not bright) highs. Also, the extra available current in the A52 really helped with the music dynamics.

I really don't know where those dealers are coming from. But the A52 is definitely more musical (to my ears, of course) than my old B&K. My usage is aound 75% 2-channel music/25% HT, so I'm always looking for ways to improve the music (within budget, of course). From my listening over the last 2 weeks, I've concluded that the A52 is fantastic for music (and no slouch in HT) and is a great match for my GPH's.

Good luck with your auditions.

Comment

• nicholtl
        • Aug 2003

Allen, I was able to do a comparison between two of the amps on your short list. First off, I own the C2 along with the A51 and A21. I run Klipsch RF-7 speakers with them. I've had this setup for about 6 months, so I am very familiar with how it sounds.

After I convinced my dad about moving up from his 20 year old stereo system to something to-date, he purchased the Lexicon MC-12 Balanced and the LX-5 amp. Then, by some miracle of God, I persuaded him and mom to get the B&W Prestige Series Signature 800 speakers. In other words, these speakers will reveal every little thing the Lexicon seperates can deliver.

Anyhow, I spent about 2 weeks back home in Hawaii a month ago for Christmas Break (college). In that time, I was able to correctly tweak and calibrate his system. Then, of course, I spent most of the day each day listening to my favorite music and watching DVD's. Though I didn't have the Parasound components right there, as I stated earlier, I know it's sound like the back of my hand. While playing the same CD's and DVD's on this system -- and I sh!t you not -- the Parasound is smoother, wider, and just ever so slightly more refined. I found it quite hard to believe being that my dad's components cost several times what mine do. But it's true. John Curl knows his stuff, and there's a reason why it ranks among the top in DVD Etc, Hometheater Magazine, etc.

As everyone is saying, sound is purely subjective. However, Scarp and Omen have told you how they think the Halo amps compare. I can only add to their testament in their greatness.

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Lexicon is more neutral and clinical in many ways. They will reveal most things in the sound (especially together with B&W 800's ), whereas Parasound still has more of its own sound.

Obviously its everybodies own choice what he/she likes in sound, but my preference goes to the Parasound stuff.

Compared to Rotel, the Parasound equipment takes my B&W N804's deeper where Rotel could not come. In detail they are equals in many ways, but in richness and fun to listen the Parasound beats them.

But the only good advise I can give for anyone choosing a system: listen, listen, listen and listen.

There is no bad equipment in the price range from Rotel and up. All well known (and many less known brands) will deliver a good product that will last a long time. Its up to your preference of sound and style that makes you choose one.

Comment

• Allen M
            • Jan 2004

Thanks for all the comment. In the end I did opt for the A52 which I felt provided the best match for my system.

The decision came down to this. I had the dealer set up a replica of my system (paradims all around) and then did a blind test of the A51 versus the A52. After spending about 2 hours (yes the dealer was very patient) listening I - well and my wife - concluded that the A52 provided all the qualities we were looking for.

If I were running the studio 100s or B&W sig. line (804,803 etc.) then I would have considered the A51. Then again - quite frankly, I probably would have gone with JCFs.

Comment

• Scarp
              • Mar 2003

Congrats on the A52. Excellent value for money

JCF's? You mean JC1's? The monoblocks from Parasound They are cool.

Comment

• nicholtl
                • Aug 2003

I wonder if anyone on this forum owns the C1/C2 and has a 9.3 setup going on, with each of the 9 speakers and 3 passive subs run by 12 JC1's? Now THAT would be cool!!!

Comment

• smalone
                  • Aug 2003

7.3 is what I am currently running. Two front subs( just off one amp and the sub output), one rear sub (Programable channel), and bass shakers(Programable channel).

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"