X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jesse111
    • Jul 2005

JC1's Due to arrive today or tomorrow

Mac MCD/MDA 1000. A pair of JC1's and 20.1 Maggies. A pair of Velodyne 10's to play with as well and all powered through Equitech gear.

This is going to be fun.

Update to follow.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

What preamp? JC-2? Or are you going to run the JC-1s straight off the MDA?

Peter

Comment

• Jesse111
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
      What preamp? JC-2? Or are you going to run the JC-1s straight off the MDA?

Peter
      Straight to the MDA.

I've been playing around for a few hours now and my first impression is actually a bit mixed. The JC1's offer more detail than the Mac 501's. They are very clean and accurate. As of right now though, they are so shy in the bass that unless more bass is realized, I will have to conclude that they don't pair well with the Maggies for my personal taste. The Macs offered significantly more bass but at the expense of some detail. But without the bass performance the music is lacking. Very powerful indeed but Parasound may actually not be my cup of tea.

When the Velodyne 10's are turned on, the bottom end fills in nicely. However I have not problem admitting, the detail produced by the JC1's is really quite astounding. I'm hearing nuances that were previously hidden.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Jesse, did you drive the Maggies with the 501's? I thought you sold those with your B&W's before you got the M20.1's.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Jesse111
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
          Jesse, did you drive the Maggies with the 501's? I thought you sold those with your B&W's before you got the M20.1's.
          You are correct Rebelman. In my dissapointed haste I wanted to make the comparison/reference to my last pair of 20.1's from last year and at that time it was the Classe's not Macs. I was making a comparison but got just a bit confused. I tell ya, I've been through so much equipment that I tend to lose timeline reference. Thanks for the correction. I should be more careful when making comments on fine equipment like this because the last thing I want to do is misdirect anyone.

HOWEVER! I must also make known another blunder on my part. I threw my back out again when lifting the JC1's. It's not the weight of the units that caused it, it's simply a matter of improper lifting. While lying on the floor in agony trying to install the JC1's I happen to connect the low end bi wire of the right Maggie out of phase. That one error took out the entire bass response of both speaker.

I must say, I am much relieved and quite taken back by the bass performance now. The astounding detail that I mention in my earlier post is still there, but now the bass is what I expected. I wanted to rush and point this issue out before too many folks read my negative take on the bass in the early post.

I will now spend a few more hours reviewing. And I don't mind telling you, since the phase correction, the bass and overall (second) initial perfromance has got me smiling... big.

Thanks again Rebleman for the correction. You are definately one of my go to guys for solid, accurate information.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"