X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Westly197
    • Aug 2000

What new music CD to try on my maggies?

I was wondering what CD I should buy to experience the detail the maggies offer? (I have MMG's connected now and 1.6QR's on the way)
    Most of my music collection is alternative rock. For example: bands like Creed, Eve 6, Live, STP, and the type. I also have some other types of music like Metallica, Jewel, etc. I'm sure I should try some classical, but what? I have never really listened to this type of music and have no idea what to try. What other types of music will impress me? I remember when I first got DTS and listened to the Eagles - When Hell Freezes Over, and how impressed I was. I feel most of my current collection is missing some of the musical beauty and detail that other CD's may offer.

So what do you suggest?

(Ok, so it a bit off topic)

- Wes

My Home Theater
    - Wes

My Home Theater
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

hey great to see a fellow maggie fan on the board. As you likely know I'm running 1.4's as mains and MMG's as rears and am in heaven. Anyway back to the point of your post...there are lots of great recordings out there that may sound stunning on the maggies but they won't do much for you if you don't like the music! That said maggies do a very good job on any acoustic music so live albums are a good starting point. The eagles hell freezes over CD is a good disc, eric clapton's live disc is amazing and pretty much anything by people playing acoustic instruments (try Jesse cook's new CD "free fall")

Jazz tends to sound esp nice so try some Diana Krall, Holly Cole etc.

For classical I'm not sure what to recomend but maybe pick up one of the many samplers that are out there to get a feel for some of the various composers etc.

Female voices are IMO where the shine. I guess its mostly to do with the imaging the maggies give you but a good song is a good song no matter what system its played on so don't be affaid to let the maggies play something of the wall like pink floyd or something hard like metalica etc

The MMG's and the 1.6's for that matter can be bottomed out if you try to psuh loud low bass through them so I receomnd setting them to small with a good sub playing the low stuff.

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

We need to "ease" you into some jazz.

Click on Amazon, top 100 CDs on our site, and search for:
      Christian McBride, Gettin To It'
      Great CD. It ws 9.99 some time back. Maybe it still is.

Also:
      Joshua Redmon (sp :?) Moodswing, and Live at the Beacon.

Diana Krall too.

Lex

Comment

• Markj
        • Aug 2000

If you what to try some classical I would suggest Bach Brandenburg concertos 1-6. The planner speakers will make you think that the string quartet is in your room. For full orchestra try Berlioz Requiem that is a great one. Sounds great loud. Also Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique will work your speakers. This symphony has some unusual techniques use on the strings.

Comment

• migliore
          • Nov 2000

Roger Waters Amused to Death has some great imaging, also, some DMB discs.

Reviews and System
          Reviews and System

Comment

• gil
            • Dec 2000

Try James Taylor Live at the Beacon DVD. You can set it to play PCM stereo and get the nicely done video. I absolutely love this disc! The audio is just fantastic.

For female voice, my favorite is Martina Mcbride. I don't think there is a bad track on the Emotion CD.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well, I'll go to the beat of a different drum here. While I applaud you for being open minded the long and short is, if you don't like the music being played, you still will not hear the gains from those great speakers of yours.

I say: Play what you like and you will get the "Max" from your speakers

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Westly197
                • Aug 2000

I know what you are saying John, but just because I don't know it's name or haven't heard it before, doesn't mean I don't like it. It's more likely I will like music of the type I usually listen to, but I don't want to limit my self only to that. Much of what I listen to was determined by what friends had as I was growing up and what came on the rock station I listened to. I'm sure there is a lot of good music out there, hidden in with the not so good. I just wanted a little help finding the jewels.

- Wes

My Home Theater
                - Wes

My Home Theater

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Wes,
                  There are sum nice suggestions in the "In Tune" section of the forum. Hope this helps!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
                    • Aug 2000

Look into obscure guitarist named Monte Montgomery and his 'Mirror' album. It is a reference work in good rock/funk with a 12-string guitar. Great speakers allow you to hear his fingers popping and sliding along the strings. Coincedently, it can be had at one of our sponsers, Amazon.

Ken
                    Ken

Comment

• Learning
                      • Aug 2000

Neil Young's "Silver and Gold", zydeco (try "Zydeco Essentials"), Over the Rhine's "Good Dog / Bad Dog", earlier Joni Mitchell if you like. All hit some of the maggies' sweet spots. Another interesting one is Traffic's old "John Barleycorn Must Die" album.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

If you like Diana Krall, use her "When I look Into Your Eyes" Album. It's one of those that have a good amount of detail and her vocals have so many nuances with a lot of presence.

I find Female vocals really bring out my system, and if I may borrow a phrase from a fellow member, "when I feel my system sounds like crap, I put in Diana Krall and all is better"

I really like Dire Straits Water of love, Wild West end (Dire Straits), Once Upon a time in the West (Communique)...etc, Knoppler's gritty vocals, offset with his distinctive guitar, seems to provide a nice contrasting sound that always pleases me.

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

• Huskerduck
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2000

well If you like Metallica and want to try classical then get "Metallicas S&M" ( Metallica with Micheal Kamen and the San Fran Orchestra), I have the DVD and its incredible and you can listen to the Band only , Or the orchestra only as well,
                          They have this on CD as well but Im not sure you can break the band and orchestra apart because theres songs that plain ole need no Orchestra to mess them up Like Master of Puppets, Fuel, and One while others benefit like No Leaf Clover (very cool), Battery, Wherever I may Roam, and Sad but True.
                          This isnt the "classic" live Metallica where you have to run off children and Grandparents for foul language ( I think they were keeping it kinda clean for the symphony goers)
                          if you have a DVD player I would get that instead of the CD for many reasons
                          Same cost
                          Pro Logic
                          DD5.1
                          extras
                          ability to listen to all/part(band or Symphony)of concert
                          watching Lars beat the living heck out of his drum kit in front of an Orchestra is classic

I crank this DVD and the louder , the better

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
                          Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• Crimson
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I second the Waters 'Amused to Death' album. Incredible.

Q.
                            Q.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"