X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Walton
    • Oct 2006

Amp Break-in?

Hi

I've got a new A21 that I'm trying out, and wondered how much difference I should expect after 'burning in'?

To my mind it seems to lack significant resolution compared to my 100wpc Arcam P35 I've been using previously. The midrange sounds less 'precise' but more natural, and the topend seems "cloaked" - One possible reason is the bass is so dominant - way too boomy in the small room I'm temorarily in using floorstanders.

On the plus side, it is more mellow to listen to than my P35, and has a much wider soundstage - It just doesn't seem to have that 'high fidelity' thing.

I'm using RCA unbalanced with

Meridian G07 CD
    Arcam C31 Stereo Preamp
    Arcam AV8 AV processor
    Ruark Prolouge II floorstanders

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Richard
  • nopat
    • Aug 2005

After a proper "burn in" and somewhat halfassed setup on the pre, I noticed a marked improvement in overall extension and resolution. 80 hrs? plus 15-minutes into playtime from cold.

I always thought of my setup as being more "bright" than anything else, and find myself tuning it out to "unwind" some of the top-end. Then again, I have no real basis of comparison, so my comments can be taken with a grain of salt.

Comment

• kfr01
      • Jan 2006

Try room treatment next.

For my system, 6 GIK acoustics panels helped smoothed things out in my long narrow room and took my system to the next level.
      Karl
      My Chain: PC Audio (EAC + FLAC) --> USB --> PS Audio Digital Link III USB DAC --> Exodus XLR's -->
      Parasound Halo P3 --> Exodus XLR's --> Parasound HCA3500 --> Custom Exodus Audio 2641 Speakers

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Heya, Richard, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

Yes, a significant improvement in Halo performance after break-in is well documented, by owners and reviewers. Offhand, I don't think I've ever heard Parasound themselves remark on it officially. Do a search for break-in here in the Club, there are other thread(s) here about it.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
          Yes, a significant improvement in Halo performance after break-in is well documented, by owners and reviewers. Offhand, I don't think I've ever heard Parasound themselves remark on it officially.
          Yep. The amps need a minimum of 100 hours. At ~250 hours they are usually fully broken in...

Peter
          Last edited by Chris D; 13 November 2016, 17:01 Sunday.

Comment

• Walton
            • Oct 2006

Thanks everyone.

Comment

• mikepinkerton
              • Jun 2004

Has anyone ever graphed changes in frequency response before and after "break in"? Seems like a myth to me, I like science.

-Mike

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Good question, Mike. I'd be interested in the science answer to it. I was just glad to find out that I wasn't the only one that thought I was hearing improvement in my Halo gear as I used it for the first many, many hours.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mikepinkerton
                  Has anyone ever graphed changes in frequency response before and after "break in"? Seems like a myth to me, I like science.
                  Hmm... The difference is not necessarily in frequency response. It's mostly the capacitors that require a very long break-in time. The electrical difference will probably mostly be in "response time" and not in frequency response. I noticed a clear difference in how the JC1 was able to deliver bass transients. A new, out-of-the box unit sounds a bit "harsh" compared to one that has been broken in. (I guess a not-too-out-of-line analogy would be to compare a capacitor with a battery. A battery that is not charged is sluggish compared to a fully charged one. The same goes with capacitors. Even though capacitors do not remain charged like batteries, a brand new capacitor is not at 100% efficiency until it's burned in a few hundred hours).

Peter

Comment

• mikepinkerton
                    • Jun 2004

but isn't "harshness" something that can be seen on a graph? It's generally used to describe pronounced highs in the 5 KHz "presence" range. I agree there is a dimension of time and transience that is missing from a 2D graph, but I'm not sure how much can be attributed to the extra dimension.

Not trying to flame...honest!
                    -Mike

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"