X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Offloading low frequencies from your floorstanders

For those of you who have floorstanders and a subwoofer, how many of you offload the low frequencies from your floorstanders so that they only play through the sub when you are listening to 2-channel music?

In my system my ASW750 subwoofer is wired in between my preamp and my amp so that I can use the 80Hz filter in the sub to send frequencies 80Hz and above to my CDM9NT floorstanders.

I do this because I think the sub does a much better job with those low frequencies and it protects my floorstanders from damage when I listen at high volume.

I've often wondered what I'd do if I had high end floorstanders - for example, 803D, 802D, 800D. I've always assumed that offloading low frequencies wouldn't be necessary with the 800D, but the answer is not so obvious to me with the 803D and the 802D.

What do you guys think?

Nigel.
  • William
    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
    For those of you who have floorstanders and a subwoofer, how many of you offload the low frequencies from your floorstanders so that they only play through the sub when you are listening to 2-channel music?

In my system my ASW750 subwoofer is wired in between my preamp and my amp so that I can use the 80Hz filter in the sub to send frequencies 80Hz and above to my CDM9NT floorstanders.

I do this because I think the sub does a much better job with those low frequencies and it protects my floorstanders from damage when I listen at high volume.

I've often wondered what I'd do if I had high end floorstanders - for example, 803D, 802D, 800D. I've always assumed that offloading low frequencies wouldn't be necessary with the 800D, but the answer is not so obvious to me with the 803D and the 802D.

What do you guys think?

Nigel.
    Never, I have all speakers set to large (803D's, HTM1D, and 804's) and only use the sub (15" Velodyne servo) for the dedicate LFE channel (.1).

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

Hi Bigburner,
      I guess I am like William, where I have all my speakers set to large, and use my 2 subs for the dedicated LFE channel .2 ,in my case ,and .4 VERY soon !! :T
      In 5 channel music or for satellite viewing ,I put my Subs to Max ,which doubles and replictaes the bass of my 2 800D and my 4 802D, HTM1D ,and therefore I get extra bass ,which sounds great, but for HT in DD or DTS or even for SACD or DVD-A I leave it on YES for large floorstanders ONLY ,so I only get the dedicated LFE channel which in this set up sounds amazing !! :T ;x(
      Same for my Stereo set up too!!!
      God Bless!
      Cheers Bigburner

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

I generally use the 802Ds/804Ss full range but, lately, I have been experimenting with using the JL f113 sub for the low range because it is equalised to be flat from 100Hz down while I do not want to put an EQ in the circuit of the 802Ds, for many reasons.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• KEF
          • Aug 2004

This is a topic that will always elicit hot debate on both sides...

I started with the N804s, then moved to the 803Ss and will migrate to the 802Ds shortly.

For two channel audio, I have never used a sub - I took the stance that the DAC in my source was higher quality than the one in my processor, and hence chose to go that route.

For movies, I set crossover in the processor to 50Hz and use the sub.

Regards,
          Keith

Comment

• dmccombs
            • Sep 2006

Nigel,

That is a good question. I have debated the same thing.

By taking the lowest frequencies off of the floorstanders, they do seem to have a bit more headroom. At the same time, you are putting the lower frequencies onto your sub.

I think you will get varying answers depending on how the quality of your sub compares to how your floorstanders generate low frequencies.

I have the 803s up front. My sub is a SVS PCI 20-35. In short, the 803s produce better quality lows down to about 30-35hz. My sub does better from 30-35hz to 20hz.

Currently, I run the 803s as large on most music. But if I know it has a lot of sound in the 20-30hz range, I will kick in the sub, having the fronts crossover at 40hz.

I do plan on putting an EQ on the sub. Once I do that, I may be able to just leave the fronts crossed at 40hz.

Regards,
            Darrell

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

This is indeed a good question, Nigel.

What I am doing, is this: I deem the DACs in my Krell Showcase Processor to be of better quality than my source (Marantz DV7600). So I am running a digital out from my source (essentially rendering it as a transport only) and incorporating the processor for conversion duty. At present I've set the 5 speakers (fronts: 803D's + HTM2D; surrounds: Nautilus 804's) to roll off at 60Hz. I've set the DD15 sub (which is equalized) to kick in (and man, she kicks :nutkick: ) at 80Hz.

I still need to experiment (which is what everyone should do, imho) and try various settings (including setting the 2 fronts to full range & eliminating the sub for 2-channel sources - which would likely be a better option with a good quality standalone cd player).

Right now though, I simply can't help putting a cd in the tray ... turning down the lights ... and sending myself to "Dreamsville" - [Stacey Kent]. It's still summertime here. Hot as hell. Will do some more tweaking in winter.

Comment

• boxer82003
                • Apr 2006

i was going to ask a very similar question

i have 4 602.5s3 asw 650 and lrc60 with a RSP-1068 pre/pro and an RMB-1075 i have the speakers set to small and my crossover set to 80Hz or 100Hz

would this be the correct setting for my setup? i do plan to get some 703 soon for my mains but not right away
                Main Linn Ninka
                Center Linn AV5120
                Rear Linn Ninka
                Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
                Amp Rotel RMB-1075

Comment

• caleb
                  • Aug 2004

Has anyone tried to switch off their fronts when doing this and just listen to the sub??

I tried it several times and was shocked as to how LITTLE information was apparently being given by the sub.

However, when I take the sub off line - it is quite noticeable.

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                    Has anyone tried to switch off their fronts when doing this and just listen to the sub??

I tried it several times and was shocked as to how LITTLE information was apparently being given by the sub.

However, when I take the sub off line - it is quite noticeable.
                    I have tried this caleb, and I was shocked too. I experimented because quite a few members of this forum have the crossover to their sub set at about 40Hz - 45Hz. I tried this setting. I concluded it was pointless when listening to music because so little comes out of the sub. At 80Hz it's a different story, with the kick drum and double bass being prominent.

I guess it's a different story with explosions and dinosaur stampedes, but these don't feature very often in my music DVDs!

Comment

• pbarach
                      • Feb 2007

I added a sub to my 2-channel system (B&W 704's). I didn't need the headroom, but I did need the bass. Music sounds much richer now, e.g. acoustic bass in jazz, classical orchestral, piano, organ.

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
                        • Apr 2006

Here is an interesting article on this topic I have run across- it's a little (OK a lot) promoting of Vandersteen, but many of the points are universal.

For me the real trick has been how to integrate the sub while using 2-channel by-pass (I don't have seperates; your wiring schematic would solve my issue). Still a work in progress.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"