X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taylormade2
    • Nov 2005

Vandersteen 2Ces and what amp?

For about 8 years, I have had a pair of Vandersteen 2Ces powered by a Rotel RB-956AX bridged into 3 channels for 100w/c. I have decided to go 2 channel only and am getting rid of the Vandersteen center. I would assume I would hear an improvement in sound with a 2 channel amp as opposed to the Rotel I'm using. I have considered going with another Rotel amp but have been told that Vandersteen and Rotel are not the best match.

Any idea how the Parasounds would be with the Vandersteens? I am considering the Halo A23 or perhaps the HCA 1000A THX. Would appreciate any advice. Also, I have seen a few complaints with heat and the A23. Is this a usual characteristic of the A23?
    Last edited by Taylormade2; 26 November 2005, 22:52 Saturday.
  • r100gs
    • May 2005

I would bypass the A23 and go with an A21. Ideally a pair of JC-1's would really fit the bill. The A23 is a good unit, but the Vandersteen's would do better with a step up on the Parasound ladder.
    Jay

Comment

• ohskigod
      • Nov 2005

vandersteens like alot of clean power. I've heard some complaints about the HCA-1000 seeming a little underpowerred so to speak. I would go at last 150 - 200 WPC. at least that is the case with my Vandersteen 2C (powerred by a Carver M4.0t @ 375/channel)

Comment

• Taylormade2
        • Nov 2005

Forgive my ignorance, but if a speaker is rated at 150wpc, then couldn't the speaker be damaged by going with an amp with a higher rating?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Taylormade2
          Forgive my ignorance, but if a speaker is rated at 150wpc, then couldn't the speaker be damaged by going with an amp with a higher rating?
          No. A speaker is usually damaged when an amplifier is driven to its limit. At this state, some amps are prone to generate a lot of distorition and in the worst case DC components in the output. This may easily destroy the speaker.

I have personal experience of destroying a pair of 180W speakers with a 30W amp this way... Later, I destroyed the same boxes (elements replaced) with a 120W amp... The third amp was a beefy 220W one, and no more blown speakers. Those were the days of the early 80's :B

A more recent experience was when I managed to blow one of my MG 3.6's mid-range fuses with the 400W/channel A51. That's when I decided that I want to upgrade to JC1s rated @ 800W although the MG 3.6 are rated @ 500W only (all figures in 4 ohms since Maggies are 4 ohms). No more incidents with the JC1. They are strong enough to bottom out the speakers without outputting any crap that blows fuses. (I'm guessing that the JC1 really is a bit of overkill, as it is easily capable of outputting 1100 Watts in 4 ohms).

If the amp is too big, you could possibly consider it a waste of money. However, don't worry about damaging the speakers. That's not an issue. On the contrary. A big amp is a safety measure.

Peter

Comment

• starford
            • Aug 2003

I've owned both 2ce Signatures and 3a Signatures (the 3aSigs are the current reference in the HT). My experience has been that these speakers respond well to quality amplification, the *cleaner* the better.

I used a Krell receiver with the 2ce (which was like a velvet-wrapped sledgehammer) and Bryson on the 3a. If you have a choice, go with the larger amp in the line you are considering (A21, in this case). You'll be glad you did.

I once had the rare opportunity to speak w/Mr. Vandersteen on the phone, and in that conversation amplification came up. His opinion was Ayre, if you can afford it, and McCormack if you can't. Personally, I like what Bryson does at it's pricepoint.

Note that Vandersteens are well known to sacrifice absolute dynamic impact for clarity and midrange imaging. If you are hoping to get more 'slam' out of your 2ce pair, more amplification may not be the answer. Model 5s would be.

Heat on the A23: the Halo amps all have some Class A bias, which contributes to the heat situation. It's considered a fair trade (electricity wasted as heat 100% of the time) for having the amp operate in ultra-clean Class A mode at least some of the time. In my opinion, the A23 runs too hot for Class A bias to explain, but the sound is good and the price it right.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Hey, Taylormade, nobody joins our club without a welcoming banana. :banana: Welcome!
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Taylormade2
                • Nov 2005

Thanks for the banana! :T

I think from a price standpoint, a McCormack DNA 0.5 just may fit the bill or perhaps a Bryston amp.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

• hhcan
                  • Mar 2005

Vandersteen would match extremly well with Conrad Johnson in 2 channels music. I've listened to this combo and it's absolutely awesome.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"