X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

A21 amp definitely needs warm up time

I was getting very frustrated with my a21 amp because I could get the sound to center consistently. Sometimes the sound would come from left center, other times right center, and sometimes in the center. I would of course constantly adjust the gain pots that are on the back of the a21. No matter what I did, I could get the sound to consistently come from the center.

Finally, I figured out that when cold, the a21 exhibited the behavior I described above. I guess when not warmed up, the amp was not producing even power to the left and right channels. When I leave the amp on for about 1 hour before use, the do not have the wandering sound stage problem. I guess this is another reason to just leave the amp on all the time.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Uhhh... I'd talk to Parasound about this one. Haven't heard this from anybody else, and mine doesn't do this.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

I bet your old 1080 never did that to you Tommy.

Comment

• jonia
        • Apr 2005

I have an A21, I have never experienced this behaviour from my amp.....

I think something must be wrong with your system..

Comment

• NMyTree
          • May 2004

I've never encountered that progblem with my A21, tboooe.

But then again, I either leave the A21 on 24/7 or I always give my components a good hour or two to warm up; on those occasions when I do shut it down.

Usually, I leave mine on 24/6 and then shut it down late Sunday night. Then, I turn it back on Monday morning and let it everything warm up for a few hours before playing music. Even when I do play the music, I let it play through a whole CD before actually listening.
          Tony

Comment

• tboooe
            • Jun 2005

Thanks guys. I definitely think its a problem with the amp (see my other post). I will be sending it back to Parasound.

Nigel: you are going to haunt me until my dying days (or at least until when I switch back to Rotel)
            Last edited by tboooe; 26 September 2005, 19:27 Monday.

Comment

• nicholtl
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by NMyTree
              ...Even when I do play the music, I let it play through a whole CD before actually listening.
              Damn, that's pretty hardcore! I just fire up my amps and let them warm up for about 10 minutes before I settle down to listen.

Comment

• psychdoc
                • May 2005

I agree. For the money spent, I would insist that the amp work as advertised shortly after turning the power on. For some people a warm up period is necessary but I think that goes along with the discussion where cables and other things need a break in period. I, for one, need to see some mathematical representation or some other scientific proof that all of that 'warm up' or 'break in' is necessary. It does, however, come down to your own subjective experience and what makes you happy in this hobby. But, if you can clearly hear that the amp is not working properly...send it back!

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

It sounds like you might have a bad component, or bad solder joint in your unit. The difference between a cold and warm A21 should not be that obvious...

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Doc, I think the best "scientific" support we're going to get about necessary Halo break-in periods is that so many of us have reported it. As for a "warm-up" period, I really don't think that's characteristic of Parasound, as I haven't heard this from anybody else.

On that note, though, have you found the New Classic units requiring a break-in?
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• NMyTree
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
                      Damn, that's pretty hardcore! I just fire up my amps and let them warm up for about 10 minutes before I settle down to listen.
                      Well, I do it just for the sake of doing it and getting everything warmed up. And the routine also works well with my early Monday morning routine of coming into my office, booting up my computer, writing my morning reports and tackling my early Monday morning tasks with my work.

My Halo will be set back up early next week. I'll try shutting it down every night, and powering up in the morning to see if I notice anything. But I can tell you I have never noticed anything in the past. Even when I deviated from my set routine.
                      Tony

Comment

• psychdoc
                        • May 2005

Hey Chris,
                        With Parasound Classic I have had nothing but an exceptional sound as soon as I turn it on. I am very happy with it! I am counting the days until I hear from Brent that my 2250 is on the way...one more day down, hopefully not too many more to go.
                        FYI: I went to the Hickam AF gym the other day and I wanted to let you know that there are some huge new buildings being constructed near the runway with signs saying C-17 squadron on them. It seems Hickam is rolling out the red carpet for you guys. Why didn't I join the AF, what was I thinking???? Matt.

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
                          Nigel: you are going to haunt me until my dying days (or at least until when I switch back to Rotel)
                          Switch back tboooe! The ride is starting to deliver more excitment that I think you'll not want to miss. Heck, you are already living without your A21 (I know that was a cheap shot). :W

Just thought I would seize the moment to influence you with the Rotel spell once again.
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• tboooe
                            • Jun 2005

rebelman...i may have to take your advice into serious consideration! Believe me, I am following that particular thread VERY closely.

Here's a thought, why dont you get the Rotel 2 ch digital amp when it becomes available and I will come over and listen to them. That will be your ultimate opportunity to once again sway me to the dark side!

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Here's a thought, why dont you get the Rotel 2 ch digital amp when it becomes available and I will come over and listen to them. That will be your ultimate opportunity to once again sway me to the dark side!
                              You're on! "The digital side of the Rotel force can be a powerful influence over the Halo minded." LOL :lol:

Comment

• bigburner
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

Good idea, but it may take a pair of 802D's to get the best out of the 1091/1092.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                  • May 2004

If I may make a suggestion, tboooe.

If you are considering moving on from the Parasound Halo series.

You may want to consider the Odyssey Mono Extremes to match your speakers. The Mono Extremes make a wonderful match with most B & W speakers.

The Odyssey are high quality amps and sound beautiful! I think you would be amazingly pleased with the results.

You may be able to find a Mono Extreme owner that would allow you to audition his amps.

Also, Klaus would give you plenty of time to burn in the Extremes and come to a conclusion. He always says if you're not happy, he'll take the amps back and refund your money. Very few (if any ever take him up on that).
                                  Tony

Comment

• tboooe
                                    • Jun 2005

nmytree: thanks for the advice. I am not seriously considering switching from Halo. bigburner and rebelman are rotel diehards who take every opportunity to remind me how great rotel gear is. that being said, i am always looking for better equipment and upgrades. I will look into your suggestion. Thanks again.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

...rebelman are rotel diehards who take every opportunity to remind me how great rotel gear is.
                                      How right you are tboooe. But if I ever make the switch from Rotel chances are pretty good it will be to Bryston, which also pairs very nicely with the B&W 800s. It maybe a little presumptuous to say but I believe Bryston can go toe-to-toe with some of the finest equipment made.

Comment

• tboooe
                                        • Jun 2005

i definitely dont disagree with your assessment of bryston. my a21 and p3 preamp could not recreate the awesome wide sound staging of the bryston I heard at the dealer. of course some of this could be the room. regardless, there is no doubt that bryston gear is top notch. i am not sure where i am along the slippery slope of upgraditis but if i ever get kinda whacky and spend that level of money for an amp, bryston will be on the short list.

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Rebelman, just a question... I'm wondering why you participate in these threads, when all I read you post is "Use Rotel instead".

Do you have some constructive information to add? If so, we'd all like to read it. Just remember, this is Club Parasound, where we discuss and compare Parasound with other products. We've got a dedicated forum for Rotel if you'd like to focus only on your Rotel gear in comparison to Bryston, etc.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

bigburner and rebelman are rotel diehards who take every opportunity to remind me how great rotel gear is.
                                            Not entirely true in my case Tommy. I'm very unfairly taking advantage of a chap who has a serious case of upgraditis. Your enthusiasm is infectious. You are on a crusade to find musical nirvana, and I admire that.

In my own case I support Rotel simply because it offers the best price performance available today. There are plenty of Rotel diehards who love the way that Rotel amps look. I don't particularly. I think that the cosmetic heat fins on the front are just plain silly. If something better comes along, I'll walk.

Having said that, I do consider myself to be quite loyal to B&W.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                                              Rebelman, just a question... I'm wondering why you participate in these threads, when all I read you post is "Use Rotel instead".

Do you have some constructive information to add? If so, we'd all like to read it. Just remember, this is Club Parasound, where we discuss and compare Parasound with other products. We've got a dedicated forum for Rotel if you'd like to focus only on your Rotel gear in comparison to Bryston, etc.
                                              Valid question Chris. Actually, I try to frequent many of the other "manufacturer" boards for a couple of reasons. One, I love the hobby and I don't believe in one solution for everyone. Two, if comments about the brands I like are discussed in general or comparatively speaking, especially when innocent eyes maybe reading, I feel compelled to share my opinions also.

No harm intended. If you look again you will noticed that my posts have been fairly balanced with respect to Parasound and Halo in particular. Believe it or not I actually considered Halo BEFORE I jumped onboard the Rotel bandwagon.

You are more than welcome to visit us at Club Rotel and add your thoughts when the topic of Parasound comes up anytime! Were not intimidated.
                                              Last edited by Chris D; 15 February 2013, 18:29 Friday.

Comment

• tboooe
                                                • Jun 2005

Nigel:
                                                i hope you are not offended by the "die hard" comment. I only meant it in jest and as "retaliation" to your ribbing! I and my wallet did not like your comment about the 802Ds. You know now that you have planted that thought in my head I will seriously consider getting it! Dang you bigburner! You are that little voice in my head pushing me to madness!

Chris Detour:
                                                good point. i personally like hearing rebelman's as well as anyone else's comments about the gear they have. i am under no illusion that Parasound is my last stop in my quest for musical nirvana so it is good for me to hear about other brands and experiences. additionally he and i (and a few others) like to banter back and forth all in humor.
                                                Last edited by Chris D; 15 February 2013, 18:28 Friday.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

Thanks for being mature about this guys--that makes being a moderator easier!

I visit the other brand forums, too, and contribute with the knowledge I have of their brands. However, you won't see me post in those forums "no, get rid of your stuff and buy Parasound instead". If I have a recommendation for Parasound for a particular person's setup, I'll do it in either a neutral forum or invite them to Club Parasound for a good discussion.

ANYONE is more than welcome to visit and post here! I'd just like to keep the posts that are focused on other brands, in the other forums where they're more appropriate.

Thanks!
                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2005

i hope you are not offended by the "die hard" comment.
                                                    Absolutely not! You never offend anyone, not even your wife when you bite her, I'm sure. (Loved that story Tommy. Reminded me of me!!).

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"