X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

lexicon vs Parasound Processors Any input

Has anyone had the chance to compare the C1 or C2 to Lexicon or Krell or Theta ??

I was thinking about other software choices. Something with separate speaker setting for different sources. More choices, better LCD readout, similar price range of the C1

Any input would be greatly appreciated
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Don't forget the Meridian G68

For all I know, Krell is not a good choice if you want software updates. (I've heard that their software updates usually goes into a new model :roll: )

Peter

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Thanks Peter.

I was interested more in choices available in the already stored software, then the ability to update.

What I mean is well thought out running program in the "now" would be great. In other words how the system is delivered. Rotel 1098 was fantastic, well thought out in every way. If I could install the Rotel Software into the C1 I would be a happy camper.

I can't update my Halo because I have Mac anyway. I bought a laptop just for the updates, but for what was offered so far in the update, its not worth it to take a chance as I am not proficient with PC and but am a webmaster with MAC.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by misterdoggy
        I was interested more in choices available in the already stored software, then the ability to update.
        Yes, that's what I figured. I mentioned Meridian for this specific reason. It is packed with features (for instance room correction, etc). Like Rotel, it is also a British make...

Peter

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Peter,

what would you recommend ? 568 or 800 series I don't know a lot about them. Its probably more than I want to spend with the new 800 series. How do you like the 568.2 ? Can they switch 110 to 220 ?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Peter,

what would you recommend ? 568 or 800 series I don't know a lot about them. Its probably more than I want to spend with the new 800 series. How do you like the 568.2 ?
            I was thinking about the G-series. The G68 is priced only a little above the C1 (around $6k-$9k depending on config).

AFAIK the 568, which has been around for MANY years, is on its way out and replaced by the new 800 series. That's expensive stuff...

Peter

Comment

• Rags
              • Aug 2003

The 568 processor was replaced by the G68. The 800 series is altogether a different animal. The G68 is a stunning processor and worth the money over the C1 in my opinion. The room correction does a wonderful job.

In terms of Lexicon I heard the MC8 and MC12 when I bought my C2 and for movie sound both of them were better (the MC8 was a very close run thing). I chose the C2 mainly because of budget constraints and the fact that in terms of performance per $ I felt that it offered more. If the Lex MC4 (which I hear is identical performance wise to the MC8) had been released at the time I would probably have gone with it. Dont get me wrong the C2 is a wonderful processor but to point out the obvious, if you pay more you will get more.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Rags
                The 568 processor was replaced by the G68.
                Your statement is correct if considering a value/dollar marketing scale. However, from a technical standpoint and considering historical aspects, I really have to disagree.

Of course you're right that the 800 is a completely different animal. 10 years of evolution tends to do that :B. However, the 500-series used to be state-of-the-art (=reference) when it was released ten or so years ago. In my world, the 500 is replaced by the 800 series. Both these series are extremely modularized and upgradeable. Very nice, but costly. Please beware that when the 500 series was originally released, it was just as expensive as the 800 series is today if you take inflation etc. in account.

It's my understanding that the G-series borrows a lot from the 500 series and some new-thinking from the 800 series to create a new, less expensive, alternative to the 800 series. AFAIK, the G-series is not nearly as modularized and hardware expandable/upgradable as the 500/800 series. On the plus side, it's less expensive.

Am I wrong?

Peter

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Lexicon vs Meridian. I was looking at the G series and didn't see balanced outputs.

The Lexicon seems easier to understand when reading thru the options. It seems there are lots of possibilities with both. Is the difference between the MC8 and 12 just the extra zone or does it use different quality DAC's and materials. ?

I downloaded the pdf mc8 manual and did a readthru and it was very easy to understand. It seems lexicon has their own proprietary decoder like DPL for Satellite and TV reception whihc is very interesting.

Lastly I noticed the specs for Lexicon power requirements were 90-250VAC 50-60Hz
                  Last edited by misterdoggy; 02 September 2005, 05:25 Friday.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Lexicon vs Meridian. I was looking at the G series and didn't see balanced outputs.
                    It's an option. The G-series lets you choose what output modules you want to purchase depending on your needs. You can get unbalanced, balanced, digital, or a mix of them. There are 5 different standard models: G68, G68D, G68ADV, G68AXV, G68XXV. See the brochure for details: http://www.meridian-audio.com/data/G68_ds_scr.pdf

That's why I said the Meridian is BETWEEN $6k-9k. The lowest price is with RCA only. If I recall correctly, it's somewhere around $8k with balanced outputs.

OTOH, the same goes for Lexicon. The balanced version is more expensive (and unfortunately not as sleek looking since the balanced connectors add an extra "platform" underneath the unit).

FYI, the G68 also has a universal power supply: 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 25W.

Peter

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Peter,

Do you feel that both the lexicon and the Meridian are truly a "step up" from the halo C1. I'm talking audio stereo as well as HT.

It seems the one most suited is the xxv as I have all balanced outputs to my krell Amps.

Do you sell these items ? If so do you come across used ones ?

thanks
                      Bruce

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Do you feel that both the lexicon and the Meridian are truly a "step up" from the halo C1.
                        If you ask me, there is much "air" in the $6000 MSRP of the C1. I purchased the C2 for this reason. At its $4000 MSRP, the price correspond better to the performance you get.

Now, of course this is assuming that you pay MSRP. Brent Huskins (forum sponsor) gave me a good price on the Parasound C2. My Lexicon dealer would only give a minuscule discount and I would have had to pay more than THE DOUBLE for a Lexicon MC-8 without balanced inputs...

So, yes, going with Meridian or Lexicon is a step up, and if nothing else, the hole it leaves in your pocketbook will let you know :B

Oh, and I think the Meridian is a step up over Lexicon when it comes to sound and build quality. However, on the other hand Lexicon is truely the "tweaker's dream". It's very flexible when it comes to programming and integrating into fully automated systems (e.g. Crestron).

Do you sell these items ? If so do you come across used ones ?
                        I'm not a reseller. Used Meridians are scarce. I think their owners love them too much to let them go. FYI, there is one G68 on Audiogon. However, it does not seem to have the balanced outputs...

Peter

Comment

• misterdoggy
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

I saw that one (G68). I also saw a MC-12 and spoke with Lexicon for advice. He strongly recommended going for the 12 over the 8 model as it had an extra DAC that the 8 doesn't have. I would love to "trade up" if I could. Its always the problem of selling one to get the other.

I was less informed about the "high" end of HT and when I bought the C2 I paid 4k for it which was a good deal I guess for a new one. But If I could go back in time I would have added another 2k-3k and picked up a used MC12B.

I have B&W 802D's, Krell Amps, and an Ayre D-1xe CD/DVD player and all those items are a "step above" the Halo C1. So something like a lexicon mc-12b would fit in very nicely indeed.

I have a guy here in France that swears by Goldmund processor as the very best, but at 16k€ ($20K) thats more wood than is interesting for this hobby. There will always be something more, something newer, something around the corner better.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

I have a guy here in France that swears by Goldmund processor as the very best.
                            He's right. Maybe not THE best, but definitely one of the top dogs...

Peter

Comment

• misterdoggy
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

I'm leaning towards Lexicon either the 8B or the 10B. Its a little easier to understand than the Meridian line, which I am having trouble digging up information.

Thanks for all the help Peter !!!

Comment

• Adz
                                • Jan 2004

There's a new review out on the Merdian G68 in Widescreen Review Magazine. Stellar as always. Here is an excerpt from the conclusion of the article:

From WidescreenReview Issue #99 (john Kotches)
                                "The G68 is a superb replacement for the 568 and 561 processors that came before it. It definitely surpasses the 861 in a few key areas, most notably in its front panel user interface and the power of user defined soft keys. The aesthetics of the G Series line (thanks to co-founder Allen Boothroyd) is also a dramatic leap forward. Meridian cannot get the new front panel design and soft key capability moved over to the 8xx series soon enough. Sonically, I find the G68 to be an outstanding performer, although the switches between G68 and 861 showed me that it is not up to the sonic level of Meridian’s flagship. I have read some reports that the sound of the G series is both forward and bright in comparison to others, but I do not hear these things. What I hear is wide open sound, delivered with precision, clarity, and even passion! My criticisms of G68 are more to do with improving an already outstanding user interface and simplify the day-to-day operation for an ordinary user."
                                Adz

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

I've heard good things about both. It might be a tossup. Or it might be a preference of taste.

Comment

• bhuskins
                                    • Aug 2003

Personally dealing with all 3 - Halo, Lexicon and Meridian...it is somewhat of a toss up. You have to pay substantially more for just a few mild features. Also, the overall sound may not be that much better if at all depending on the environment. Another SSP that should be on the short list is the Halcro Logic SSP-100 seen here. It performs exceptionally well and has an enormous feature set. It also has the best 2 channel sound from an SSP I've ever heard. Absolutely stunning. It really all boils down to what features are worth the extra $$$.

Brent Huskins
                                    Media Design
                                    HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• bhuskins
                                      • Aug 2003

Halo C1

Meridian G68

Lexicon MC12-V5(EQ)

Halcro Logic SSP-100

Take your pick...

Brent Huskins
                                      Media Design
                                      HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• Rags
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                                        Your statement is correct if considering a value/dollar marketing scale. However, from a technical standpoint and considering historical aspects, I really have to disagree.

Of course you're right that the 800 is a completely different animal. 10 years of evolution tends to do that :B. However, the 500-series used to be state-of-the-art (=reference) when it was released ten or so years ago. In my world, the 500 is replaced by the 800 series. Both these series are extremely modularized and upgradeable. Very nice, but costly. Please beware that when the 500 series was originally released, it was just as expensive as the 800 series is today if you take inflation etc. in account.

It's my understanding that the G-series borrows a lot from the 500 series and some new-thinking from the 800 series to create a new, less expensive, alternative to the 800 series. AFAIK, the G-series is not nearly as modularized and hardware expandable/upgradable as the 500/800 series. On the plus side, it's less expensive.

Am I wrong?

Peter
                                        Peter not sure about wrong but the G68 definately replaced the 568. When the G68 was launched the 568.2 was withdrawn from sale. Prices went up but were comaprable. The 800 series was always in a different price league.

I have heard all three and if money was no object would take the G68 in balanced configuration over the others. Together with a G98DH so that everything is upsampled you have an awesome setup. For music nothing from Parasound or Lex can touch Meridian Trifield. Even for stereo its a winner.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

I have heard all three and if money was no object would take the G68 in balanced configuration over the others. Together with a G98DH so that everything is upsampled you have an awesome setup. For music nothing from Parasound or Lex can touch Meridian Trifield. Even for stereo its a winner.
                                          :agree:

However, as Brent so wisely says, it's a matter of cost. Halos can be had for a lot less than Meridian. I'm sure the same thing goes for Lexicon. The reason I don't own a Lexicon is because my stubborn (or should I say stupid?) Lexicon dealer could NEVER sell me a Lexicon with his 0.00% discount :B

Parasound really owes Brent for selling me 9 JC1s, an A21, an A51, and a T3. Brent's agressive pricing is a major selling point...

Peter

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

The Halcro looks great and would go nicely with my Ayre D-1xe (same look), but price ??

Its probably down to the Meridian G68XXV (balanced) against the Lexicon MC-12B.

I have a friend in Asia who has had both and says either one is great. He also said the weak link in my setup was the Halo C1.

Comment

• Adz
                                              • Jan 2004

The Halcro looks great and would go nicely with my Ayre D-1xe (same look), but price ??

Its probably down to the Meridian G68XXV (balanced) against the Lexicon MC-12B.

I have a friend in Asia who has had both and says either one is great. He also said the weak link in my setup was the Halo C1.
                                              I'm sure most anybody in this hobby would be ecstatic with either the Meridian, Lexicon, Theta, Goldmund, Halcro, Tag McClaren (which certainly deserves a mention in this class) as they are surely at the top of the highest end surround sound processors (along with a couple of others I'm forgetting). At the same price point, most (not all) would put Halo, Anthem, Bryston, Arcam, Integra etc. in the same tier at least a step or two below. Where is Krell? I've heard great things and not so great things so maybe its in the middle? Edit added: Might as well throw in Classe and MacIntosh as well somewhere at or near the highest end

I plan on beginning an aggressive review of the Lexicon and Meridian and whatever else I can demo at home in my current set-up and compare to my about to be newly upgraded Bryston 1.7. Should be fun and interesting too!

By the way, here is an interesting newcomer at the $10k price point which company is one of the leaders in digital room correction technology. http://www.tactlabs.com/Products/TCS/TCS_Frames.htm
                                              Last edited by Adz; 05 September 2005, 19:55 Monday. Reason: Added in MacIntosh and Classe'
                                              Adz

Comment

• mikepinkerton
                                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Adz
                                                I plan on beginning an aggressive review of the Lexicon and Meridian and whatever else I can demo at home in my current set-up and compare to my about to be newly upgraded Bryston 1.7. Should be fun and interesting too!
                                                Whatever you decide, you better post that review! Enquiring minds want to know!

-Mike

Comment

• Adz
                                                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by mikepinkerton
                                                  Whatever you decide, you better post that review! Enquiring minds want to know!

-Mike
                                                  Definitely, and again it's whatever a dealer will let me take home for a weekend and demo so I can do some real a/b testing only swapping in and out the processors. Since I live in the NY Metro area where there are lots of dealers of high end stuff on display within a few minutes drive and if a dealer is interested in sales, then I'm hoping it will be even more than those two! If anyone lives around the tri-state area and wants to swing by, just let me know.

Oh and my opinions won't mean one is necessarily better than the other on a standalone basis, it means it will be better in my system, that's all.
                                                  Adz

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2005

Yeah Keep us posted. I am interested in the A/B Lexicon/Meridian comparison

Comment

• Rags
                                                      • Aug 2003

I did say if cost was not an issue.

There are dealers in the NY area who will give you 10-20% of Lex or Meridian for that matter. Heck I live in London but can give you a couple of names (not publically!).

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • May 2005

I did say if cost was not an issue.

There are dealers in the NY area who will give you 10-20% of Lex or Meridian for that matter. Heck I live in London but can give you a couple of names (not publically!).

Rags,

I sent you a PM

Bruce

Comment

• phansson
                                                          • Oct 2004

I upgraded from a Lexicon MC-1 to a C2 about 5 months ago. I purchased the C2 from Mr. Huskins. Great deal by the way.

Anyway, I asked Brent the same question. He stated that the C2 would be a step up from the MC-1. He was right. The two channel is no comparison now. The C2 beats the MC-1 hands down. As far as home theater is concerned, I really do not see as much of a gap. I would personally really like to buy an MC-12 but the price point at the moment does not fit my pocketbook. I haven't listened to the Halcro or meridian pieces.

Comment

• smalone
                                                            • Aug 2003

What about McIntosh?

Last edited by smalone; 17 September 2005, 00:12 Saturday. Reason: Damn keyboard....

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

I must say, that Halcro Logic unit has always looked very pretty to me. It looks real nice stacked with the other Halcro Logic units, too. IMHO, the Halcro Logic and Halo processors are the best looking just in terms of aesthetics out of all those posted on this thread so far.
                                                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                                • Aug 2003

I have the whole Halcro Logic stack in house right now...

SSP80 with the MC70

and the

SSP100 with 2 MC20's and 1 MC30

They are quite remarkable!

Brent Huskins
                                                                Media Design
                                                                HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Dec 2000

Here's the small picture from Halcro's website of their stack. It's even better in larger size:

Brent, what's the quick comparison between the HL performance and Halo? From what I remember, HL prices were quite beyond Halo. Am I remembering right?
                                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• IntegrateMe
                                                                    • May 2004

I had the Halcro logic brought into my showroom 2 weeks ago with the aim of converting me over to a Halcro head.

Short answer, it worked. While I did not discern a noticable difference on DD/DTS sound (SSP100/MC30/MC20) versus my current showroom equipment (Anthem D1/P5), 2 channel sound was cleaner and more natural.

We signed up yesterday.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by IntegrateMe
                                                                      I had the Halcro logic brought into my showroom 2 weeks ago with the aim of converting me over to a Halcro head.

Short answer, it worked. While I did not discern a noticable difference on DD/DTS sound (SSP100/MC30/MC20) versus my current showroom equipment (Anthem D1/P5), 2 channel sound was cleaner and more natural.

We signed up yesterday.
                                                                      You're killing me! :W

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Dec 2000

Well, congrats, IntegrateMe! (since you're surfing here in Club Parasound, I'm curious... have you been able to make comparisons to Halo gear as well?)
                                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003

Anybody wanting an opinion between Halo and Halcro feel free to email me or PM me. I'm going to be very careful how I present my findings and I'm not quite ready to post it in a public forum what I think. I have a lot of opinions about it though and I have all of it set up currently in my shop and home as well (I've actually had all of it set up for the past couple of months now.)

Brent Huskins
                                                                          Media Design
                                                                          HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                            • 16877

No worries, Brent. Go ahead and zap me a msg!
                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 504

#39
                                                                              emails sent to people that asked.

Brent Huskins
                                                                              Media Design
                                                                              HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• Lex
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Apr 2001
                                                                                • 27461

#40
                                                                                Hmmm, asking for Lexicon opinion here. That's sort of like going into LSU stadium and asking about the polularity of Tennessee's second half quarterback Rick Clausen after last night's 30-27 OT upset win over the 4th ranked Tigers. Vols were down 21-0 at half.

Anyway, Lexicon is a fine product, and this may well not be the place to discuss that anyway, but yes, you'd pay a premium for a product that may or may not be worth it when the lights go down and the sound goes up.

It's no secret that I am a longtime Lexicon user. As such, my bias precedes me. I will just say that while I've not always been happy with how Lexicon has done the user base, (example, promising the MC-1 as the end all cure all to processors, only to find out that less than 2 years after introduction, it was obsoleted for the MC series.) The one saving grace for me has been the trade in programs that Lexicon always offered in the past. Will that trend continue? I can't say for sure given that now Harman owns Lexicon. But I did like the fact I could trade my DC-1 and MC-1, ultimtately to the MC-12, which frankly, I'd probably not bought had I had to do it in 1 full swoop due to $. Yes, the MC-8 could have taken care of me. It just happened that an area dealer had the 12 in stock, made me a deal, the rest as they say is history. I'm still a happy Lexicon user, but I wouldn't be upset of they ditched the current remote control I got with mine (if it's still current). never liked it.

Lex
                                                                                Doug
                                                                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• vincepoy
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2003
                                                                                  • 4

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by bhuskins
                                                                                  emails sent to people that asked.

Brent Huskins
                                                                                  Media Design
                                                                                  HTGuide Sponsor
                                                                                  You can PM/email me too!
                                                                                  Cheers,
                                                                                  Vince

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 504

#42
                                                                                    Email me at huskins@charter.net and I'll add you to the list.

Brent

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                    Search Result for "|||"