X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Digital or Analog XLR pass thru CD player on C1/C2 2 channel

I curretly have a rcd 1072 cd player that plays both cd and hdcd.

I am trying otunderstand why "top" quality CD players have the optional unbalanced analog outputs. When you look at top stuff $3000 and up they all offer balanced outputs. The C1 also has the possibility of accepting a pair of balanced inputs.

So the question is: Is it better to run a quality Cd player with the balanced analogue or is it better to come in to the C1 using a quality digital cable. The C1 manual recommends using the C1 for digital processing and if you had a quality cd player that could just 'pass through' the Halo using those XLRs would defeat what it can do.

I am confused.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

If the D/A converter in the CD is better than the one in the Processor, then you would want to run analog.

If the D/A converter in the Processor is better, then you would want to run digital.

If the CD is located 100 ft away from the processor, then you would most likely want to run balanced analog. (Unless you could somehow make the digital connection work).

When it comes to balanced/unbalanced, the only "real" advantage with balanced is that you can run LOOOONG lengths of cable without problems. As long as you keep it below 10 ft, unbalanced generally work great...

Peter

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
      If the D/A converter in the CD is better than the one in the Processor, then you would want to run analog.

If the D/A converter in the Processor is better, then you would want to run digital.

Peter
      Ok, I'm getting closer.

The C1 Has great DAC's, so if we had a CD player that was a real good model (better than the 1072 Rotel) how can you decide which is better. listening ? or is there an evaluation (mathematical) or are the benefits of running into the C1's DACs advantageous for other reasons (using dplII music).

Lastly, If one had the Parasound, he might search out a CD that was more analog than dac's.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by misterdoggy
        listening ? or is there an evaluation (mathematical)
        Listening, I guess :roll:

Being an engineer, I woulld simply figure out what DACs the units use, and go by the specifications. If the DACs are almost the same, the logical choice is to make the DA conversion as late as possible, i.e. in the C1.

Then we of course have the psychological effect: If you spend $10,000 on a CD player, then of course you would want to run XLR and use the refined/expensive DACs you paid for (even though they really may not be significantly better than the ones in the C1) :B

Peter

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

If its similar or better I would go with listening. Now I need to think about what upgrade would be ideal. The Rotel 1072 isn't bad but......

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

What I do is hook up both ( well, in my case all three) . Therefore I can select which sounds best with any given disc. I do find that discs that appear to be light in upperbass weight (which is some early digitally recorded CDs) sound better using the DACs in my CD, yet others (the more recently recorded) sound better using the DACs in my pre-pro.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• misterdoggy
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

DrJRapp
              Wow that adds another layer of contemplation. I don't think I can refine it to that level where some Cd's here and some Cd's there. Its already difficult with Sacd's in the Dvd player and Cd's and hdcd's in the cd player. I know there are good cd palyers that do both sacd, hdcd, cd and have great DAC's so you just put in the Cd and let it rip. Interesting that earlier recorded CD's and newer CD's sound different thru different DAC's. A new realm.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"