X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joawen
    • Mar 2006

2200 switch balanced to unbalanced?

Is there a way to program the remote to switch a 2200 between balanced an unbalanced mode?

Reason, i use another brand pre for multichannel which is connected unbalanced, (turns on fine with trigger) and the CP-500 for 2channel listening, now i turn off the 2200, crawl to the floor and do the select/mode/select/mode/select thing every other listening...

Would be great if i could just press F1 or something to put the 2200 to balanced and F2 for unbalanced?

/Joakim
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

No, unfortunately. Not at this time. I execute the same procedure between my CP-700 and SSP-300 and thus could use the same convenience feature if it were available. I suspect the CANBUS software could be programmed to include the ability to toggle between both active connections. However, enabling it without having to dig into the nested CANBUS menu system could be challenging to the developers. It's one of the topics I'll be bringing up at CES. CANBUS has the potetial to do many great things if it was exploited by its maker.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

Joakim,

Why don't you use the SSP feature on the CP-500? That way you don't have to use two inputs on the power amp. The preamp will just be a pass through for the surround processor. If that doesn't work, you can switch the inputs on the amp somewhat remotely. If you have a control processor (like a Crestron, AMX, Universal Remote) you can use an RS-232 command to the amp to switch from balanced to single ended.

Eric

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Eric,

I didn't like the SSP pass-through feature on the CP because of the much higher noise floor that this arrangement created. Plus the mix of balanced and single-ended connections threw off the gain adjustments by too wide of a margin. It worked, but I didn't care for the results.

Your controller processor suggestion is a good idea that I never bothered to pursue because it requires dealer involvement. If you can think of a "convienient" solution for the DIYer then that would be helpful, to me at least.

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Guys, if you have a universal remote like a Logitech or Philips Pronto that uses RC-5 protocol, how about finding out if Classé has an IR code for switching between unbalanced and balanced modes that can be programmed into the universal remote, at least until Classé comes up with a CANBUS solution ?

My new Marantz Reference SACD player has phase switching available on the front panel but not on the remote. I was able to obtain an RC-5 phase toggle code from the manufacturer and program it into my Pronto TSU7500 Remote. Now I can toggle between normal and inverted phase from the listening position with my Pronto.

Comment

• Joawen
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
            Joakim,

Why don't you use the SSP feature on the CP-500? That way you don't have to use two inputs on the power amp. The preamp will just be a pass through for the surround processor. If that doesn't work, you can switch the inputs on the amp somewhat remotely.
            Eric
            Thank you for your reply! Already i have trouble tuning the volume on the right remote and choosing right source for right Pre/amp.

My SO, without knowing, did the adjusting volume on the wrong pre (nothing could be heard as it was the one not in use) which led to unbelievably strong volume when i put the other one in use...

I like to have the CP-500 off when it's not needed.

That code suggestion Glen mentioned is what i'm hoping for!

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

The command to switch inputs is RS232 only. It cannot be done with a remote. If you look at the RS232 protocols on Classe's web site you can find them. It could be done with a PC, but it would be as big a pain going to a PC to do as it is changing it from the front panel. Items like the Universal Remote MSC-400 are the easiest way to do it (it would require one of their remotes as well) and those are only programmed by a dealer. At this time that is the only easy way to do it with out using the SSP feature in the CP-500.

Eric

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Glen, the Delta's use RC-6. I would have to check with Classe' to see if they have a code to toggle between both inputs and get a compatible universal remote to go with it. However, Eric says that only the RS-232 port will work which I have toyed with before using my laptop as a console but it was a pain.

Eric are you 100% positive the IR interface will not work?

Comment

• Glen B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2004

The Pronto remotes also work with RC-6.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

It cannot be done with IR because an IR code doesn't exist to do it. It's an RS232 command only.

Eric

Comment

• joetama
                      • May 2006

Interesting...

So, rebelman, you tried running the SSP into the CP and running the CP in HT Bypass and had issues?

Just wondering because I am looking at running my RSP-1098 single ended into a CP-500 (HT Bypass on) then to my RB-1080 balanced.
                      -Joe

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Joe, using the SSP pass-through feature on the CP-700 (CP-500) sets the unity gain to full output which raised the noise floor to an unacceptable level, IMO. At the time my two-channel configuration was using all balanced connections whereas my multi-channel system was using a mix of both balanced and single-ended.

I also noticed a weird feedback anomaly when the SSP pass-through option was enabled on the CP and when I adjusted the volume control on the SSP. It was very slight but I didn't feel comfortable taking chances playing Russian roulette with my two main speakers.

By using both input types on the monoblocks, with the SSP going to the RCA's and the CP going to the XLR's I circumvented the SSP pass-through feature on the CP which reduced the noise floor to an acceptable level and captured more control over calibrating each channel's gain levels in the processor.

Balanced connections are "effectively" 6dB higher than single-ended connections. This must be compensated for in the processor to maintain proper levels across all channels when "hybrid" (RCA and XLR) connections are used simultaneously. Compensating for the 6dB increase in gain reduced the amount of gain control available in the processor for the L and R channels. It worked okay but it was pushing the SSP's limits of scale.

My two channel system is still using all balanced connections but now my multi-channel system is using all single-ended connections. Perhaps if I were only using single-ended connections in my entire system then the pass-through feature might have been more rewarding. After all it is a whole lot more convenient to use than manually toggling the inputs on the monoblocks. I didn't try to experiment because I have a preference for using balance connections over single-ended whenever possible. If I upgrade my SSP-300 to the SSP-800 instead of the SSP-700 it will be primarily for this reason.

Comment

• joetama
                          • May 2006

Interesting... Thanks for the info...
                          -Joe

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                            • Apr 2005

hifiguymi,
                            Are you saying that this can be done with an RS232 connection to a computer using, say, hyperterminal?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007

I'm not fimiliar enough with using a hyperterminal to tell you yes. Someone else here would probably know more about that than I. I do know that there is an RS232 command that will switch the Delta series amps inputs. Here is a link to where you can find the RS232 command.

Eric

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                I'm not fimiliar enough with using a hyperterminal to tell you yes. Someone else here would probably know more about that than I. I do know that there is an RS232 command that will switch the Delta series amps inputs. Here is a link to where you can find the RS232 command.

Eric
                                Thanks Eric, that all seems pretty straight forward.

I am an engineer and one of my many jobs is programming. At the moment I do not have any Classe gear, but I am seriously thinking about the SSP-600 and the CA-5200. If and when I do I will give this a go.

Mark

Comment

• RebelMan
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

HyperTerminal is how I did it. But it's uch easier to use the buttons on the face of the amplifier instead. Herein lies the problem in search of a better solution.

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                    • Apr 2005

Ah yes, but what i mean is i will create a tiny app - click a button and it will:
                                    - turn the amp to standby.
                                    - change the input type (for as many channels that there are)
                                    - turn the amp back on.

Comment

• Joawen
                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                      (snip)
                                      My two channel system is still using all balanced connections but now my multi-channel system is using all single-ended connections. Perhaps if I were only using single-ended connections in my entire system then the pass-through feature might have been more rewarding. After all it is a whole lot more convenient to use than manually toggling the inputs on the monoblocks. I didn't try to experiment because I have a preference for using balance connections over single-ended whenever possible. If I upgrade my SSP-300 to the SSP-800 instead of the SSP-700 it will be primarily for this reason.
                                      My first evaluation of trying out the Pass-thru (again) was surprising, as i use only single ended connections i gave it a second try... (fingers crossed for noone turning up the volume on wrong pre again!)

I might be just relieved but is there a chance that the balanced input on the 2200 is so much better than the single one?
                                      First impression is a MUCH better sound from my multichannel source inspite letting the signal through an additional path (the CP-500).

I will listen more carefully when i get the time, 2 channel is still the important thing for me but i have a load of good music on multichannel.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"