X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

805s for HT

G'day,

From the first time I heard them, I've always been keen on getting a pair of 805s. I'd be using these as fronts as my budget won't stretch to the 804, 803, etc.

Anyway, I was wondering how 805 owners here rate the 805s for home theatre. I've only auditioned the 805 for 2-channel use, which I loved, apart from bass output. I suspect that 805 fronts + HTM2 centre may sound a little thin, lacking the slam of a full-range floorstander (even with a suitable sub).

So is a setup such as 4 x 805 + HTM2 (or 805 + HTM2 + 705) adequate for home theatre? Or is a full-range floorstander (such as the 804, 803, or Aussie Geoff's choice, the 703) necessary to bring out the best in HT?

I'd hate to spend the $$$ on 805s for 2-channel, then find the multi-channel experience to be underwhelming...

-- Geoff
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

Why would a smaller speaker paired with a good sub sound thin in an HT situation ?
    I don't see any reason why an 805 wouldn't be great for HT if you have a good sub backing it up below 80 Hz.
    I have 804's as fronts, 805's as rears, and the HTM2 centre and I run all of them crossed over at 60 Hz and even that works fine.
    I actually prefer the 60 Hz setting because it makes the sub less audible.
    Ofcourse with 805's in front, I would probably go for 80 Hz.
    Other than that I see no reason why you would need 804's or larger for HT if you have a good sub.
    The reason I got 804's is because I listen to a lot of 2ch music and I don't want to use a sub for that.
    I could've gotten better integration for HT probably if I'd had gone for 4x 805's + HTM2 but 2ch music was too important for me.
    I think you'll be surprised at how good the 805's sound for HT and multichannel, if they're adequately powered and supported by a tight subwoofer.

Comment

• Mark_C.
      • Jan 2003

For music, the 805s sound thinner than the 804s, and the soundstage isn't quite as focused. But for HT, with a good center channel, the 805s are fantastic. I have the 805s and HTM2 for the front, with 601S2s for the rears. I'm using a Velodyne HGS10 SeriesII sub. My power is a Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro with a Rotel RMB-1075 amp. A crossover of 80Hz works best for me. Get the 805s. You won't regret it.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

Dr. Boom, I got a question for you regarding 804 vs 803.
        Did you compare to 2? You think the 804 was enough for 2 channel or would you go with 803 instead?

Comment

• DrBoom
          • Dec 2003

The 803 sounds a bit more relaxed compared to the 804, less forward as well.
          It handles bass a bit better too, due to it's larger woofers and cabinet.
          Overall they sound fuller, and maybe a bit more musical but it's not night and day.
          They take up more space though, and require a bigger room.
          Amp requirements are about the same, if you have an amp that can drive the 804 without difficulties, it'll do the same for the 803.
          Maybe if I'd have had more room, I'd have gone for the 803's.
          Then again, maybe I'd have gone totally mad and bought 802's, now that's an upgrade :B

Comment

• jlee
            • Aug 2004

1. They do take more space, but other than taking up a bit more space, don't really require a bigger room to sound their best like say the 801.

2. They are a bit more efficient than the 804, and therefore as mentioned, if your amp can drive the 804's, the 803's are no problem. It's when you start going 802 and higher that amp requirement becomes a bit more demanding.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

hired goon...I don't think the 805s will sound thin with a capable sub in HT. Just to give you a reference, I have the 601s w/ LCR600 with a SVS PCi-20-39 in a 11.5ft x 30ft room. It's not thin at all, in fact the 805s w/ HTM2 will most likely be what I'm upgrading to by the middle of next year. When money allows I'll upgrade to the 803s w/ HTM1. Like you, I loved the way 805s sounded for stereo, it's just not enough bass, other than that, I love everything about it. Its looks and sounds wonderful, IMO.

Comment

• Cory Cooper
                • Nov 2004

Geoff,

Here is my setup:

Panasonic TH-42PX25U/P
                Denon AVR-5800 (upgraded)
                Denon DVD-2910
                JVC HR-S9900U
                B&W Nautilus 805 (4)
                B&W Nautilus HTM2
                Velodyne HGS-15
                Monster Power HTS 5100 & 3500
                Salamander Designs Synergy
                Monster Cable M Series

It's awesome! i just want a little more power for those hungry B&W's.

Cory

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

I am currently using 4- 805's, a HTM2 and a ASW850 for my HT and I have no complaints, you do have to fiddle with proper placement and deal with the room acoustics to get things to open up.

Good Luck!
                  Robert P.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Norma_S
                    • Sep 2004

I'm currently using four N805s with an HTM1 in my large 17'x25' living room with vaulted ceiling. My receiver is a B&K-507. I have no sub yet (long story). The 805s sound great. I'm dying to add a couple of SCM-1s for the two surround back positions. I'm looking for a pair of pre-owned ones right now in light cherry.

The B&Ws replaced some old CV and Bose speakers (again no sub) last year and I upgraded the receiver from Onkyo to the B&K last month. Since I've never had a sub in my set up, I can only say how impressed I am with how much more bass they deliver than my older and bigger former speakers did. If I can just convince my better half of what he's missing, I may be adding a sub soon.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"