X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kjell.h
    • Sep 2004

805 signatur vs ASW850

Just bought ASW 850 to match with 805 signature. Should i run filtered or play full range on the 805's. Anybody having any views in this matter?
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Kjell,

Awesome sub..

Do you use a sourrounf processor with a digital connection from your CD DVD player or do you do a lot of direct stereo listenning via analog?

The reason I ask is that if you are using the surround processor with digital connecitons you are 99% likely to be better off crossing over from the 805s to the ASW850 at 80 Hz or so - less strain on the 805s and their amps giving clearer overall sound.

However if you are currently using a pure analog path for stereo then the issue becomes a little more complex - since the bass processing for the sub is likely to require re-digitising the sound... In this running the sub much lower and out of phase if needed (arround 40Hz and using the natural filter on the 805's can work well... However for HT use this is not a good solution - too much bass for too small a speaker!

Geoff

Comment

• kjell.h
      • Sep 2004

No, i am doing stereo listening in my upstairs living room on this system running balanced cables all the way through. The reason why i am asking is that i am afraid of coloring the sound on the 805's by running through the filter on the 850 (keep as little electronics in the signal path as possible) and i also feel that the sound is more balanced running full range on the 805's. Currently i am filtering at 50 hz. A bit high perhaps?
      By the way, i am using my old 801 series3 with a sunfire mkII sub on my home cinema located in the basement (90% of the time occupied by my son). That is awesome!!!
      THKS
      Last edited by kjell.h; 21 September 2004, 00:15 Tuesday.

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

I would never run my main speakers filtered through a sub - nomatter how good it is. Two filters, one after another is a potential can of worms. But let your ears be the judge of it - and it sounds like you already have made up your mind..

Brings me back to one of my long time requests for subwoofers. When will they start putting two line inputs on them? One for HT and one for stereo/Multichannel sound, with different settings?
        Just hope somebody from B&W will read this and suggest it to the product development guys..
        Should be fairly easy to do..

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Kjell,

Also - here is an interesting thread on the subject of 805s and bass crossovers.... LINK. Food for thought

Geoff

Comment

• greggz
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by aarsoe
            Brings me back to one of my long time requests for subwoofers. When will they start putting two line inputs on them? One for HT and one for stereo/Multichannel sound, with different settings?
            They have (well for stereo and HT at least), they are called REL subwoofers.
            Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• jlee
              • Aug 2004

REL rules... I started with 1 Strata III, and now have 2 Stadium III's and 2 Strata III's... 2 for the front, 2 for the rear... 1 for each corner... I run the Stadiums for 2 ch and HT... and the Stratas for the rear for HT only. Sound is very clean and perfectly integrated... I run the center as "small" to divert the bass to the front subs and speakers... sound is like running 5 full range speakers.

Go for REL, you won't regret it...

Comment

• kjell.h
                • Sep 2004

Thanks all.
                I am currently running full range on the speakers, but i think i need to experiment a bit with the frequency setting on the sub and also the phase setting.
                The sub also need to "settle in" so 50 to 100 playing hours from now and it should start falling to place .
                The fun is not to get there, it's beeing on the way!!!!

Comment

• ekkoville
                  • Aug 2004

Yeah, I have an older REL Strata and they reccommend a LFE connection for movies and connecting the High level input to the front speaker terminals on the amp and setting the front speaker setting to large. This way you get LFE for HT and a full range signal for two channel. The sound is accurate and well integrated for every application, and I have only one sub.....Jlee, you're lucky man!

Erik

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

Still doesnt give me seperate volume adjustments, cut-off freq etc... and thats what I want..

Comment

• DrBoom
                      • Dec 2003

Eh, yeah it does.
                      REL has a high-level input, with a separate volume control and crossover setting for stereo use.
                      And they have a low-level LFE input, which uses the crossover from your receiver/processor, and also has it's own volume control.
                      So both have a separate crossover and volume setting.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"