X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sskim
    • Sep 2007

Pairing 805S's with 805N's

Even though I've never heard them side by side, I've read that 805N and 805S are quite different. I currently own a pair of 805S's and I like the idea of having the same 5 speakers as a 5.1 HT setup. Due to the budgetary constraint I'm thinking of perhaps buying used 805N's as surrounds. Has anyone listened to or tried mixing these two speakers in a home theater setup? Assuming the center will either be an 805S or HTM4S, is running 805N's as surrounds a 'money well spent' strategy?
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by sskim
    Even though I've never heard them side by side, I've read that 805N and 805S are quite different. I currently own a pair of 805S's and I like the idea of having the same 5 speakers as a 5.1 HT setup. Due to the budgetary constraint I'm thinking of perhaps buying used 805N's as surrounds. Has anyone listened to or tried mixing these two speakers in a home theater setup? Assuming the center will either be an 805S or HTM4S, is running 805N's as surrounds a 'money well spent' strategy?
    A lot of people mix Nautilus and Diamond or S for surrounds to save money.

I noticed a difference between Signature's and Nautilus speakers. Not huge but there is a difference. The signatures seem to have more attenuated highs.

Comment

• Marco Lisi
      • May 2008

Hello sskim

I have owned both speakers and can tell you a little about the difference between the two speakers...

The 805S is ofcourse the better speakers as in more refined, more output power, smoother midrange and high frequencies that don't stand out as much.

The 805S is also able to produce more of a 3D sounstage with more air.
      These differences are mainly the result of another type of filtering. In the 805S B&W uses 1st order filtering.

These are the differences I've noticed when using the speakers as full range speakers in a stereo setup.

For you, I think the 805N will blend in very nicely in a home theater setup.
      In my setup I mix 800D's and HTM1D with DS8S and SCMS. That works just fine. I was also worried that I would hear a difference between the diamond tweeter and the metal dome tweeter...

So, save yourselve some money and expand your system with some very nice 805N speakers from the 2nd hand market!

Greetings

:T
      Diamond Room
      Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"