X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sskim
    • Sep 2007

Bi-Amping 805S

I recently picked up a pair of 805S. I'm currently running them on Rotel RSX1057 as mains for 5.1 surround but thinking about using them on a music only system. I have a Hafler Amp (9130) which is rated 60w per channel that I have not used since I bought Rotel receiver. The question is if I were to pick up a same series Hafler Amp but maybe 100w, can I use both 60w and 100w to bi-amp 805S? I was thinking 60w to drive higher freq and 100w for mids. Would anyone recommend this setup? Or is it better to use 2 same wattage amps?
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by sskim
    I recently picked up a pair of 805S. I'm currently running them on Rotel RSX1057 as mains for 5.1 surround but thinking about using them on a music only system. I have a Hafler Amp (9130) which is rated 60w per channel that I have not used since I bought Rotel receiver. The question is if I were to pick up a same series Hafler Amp but maybe 100w, can I use both 60w and 100w to bi-amp 805S? I was thinking 60w to drive higher freq and 100w for mids. Would anyone recommend this setup? Or is it better to use 2 same wattage amps?
    I would use the same amplification for top and bottom otherwise you will hear funny sounds!

I am thinking of getting another CA5200 to bi amp my speakers!
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Bi-amping won't give anywhere near as good a result as a larger single amp, and bi-amping with dissimilar amps, even less so. If you're looking to buy a new amp, get one big enough to comfortably drive your 805's alone.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I would look for quality from the source to the speaker over 2 amps, particularly for the 805s. Its a speaker that will respond nicely to a finely detailed quality signal. B&Ws like power but you can get away with less with the 2 way designs.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Tommy
          • Dec 2006

Passive bi-amping won't get you much. If you want to bi-amp, go for an external cross-over device. Or you can just get a bigger amp to simplify things and get better sound.

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Try this Electrocompaniet Nemo 600! Of course this might be overkill
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Tommy
              • Dec 2006

Don't worry, there's no such thing as overkill. The 805S would LOVE you for that much power.

Comment

• sskim
                • Sep 2007

Down the road, I'll save some $$$ and get a nice amp for 805S. I was just looking for a quick inexpensive short term solution. Thanks all for your replies.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"