X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fabio Stief
    • May 2012

805s to 805 Diamond:Should I upgrade?

Hi,
    My name is Fabio and I'm from Brazil. That's the first time thai I post something and I must apologize for my poor english...
    My system set-up is: 1 pair of B&W805s,1 HTM4, 1 ASW 825, 1 pair of CWM6160, 1 Rotel RMB -1075, 1 Rotel RSP 1069 and 1 Rotel RCD - 06. I use the Playstation 3 as my blu-ray player.
    They are placed in a small room (12m2).
    I'd like to know if is it worthy to change my front speakers for the diamond series.If so, will I have to buya new power and processor? I ask that because these equipments are very expensive in my country. For example: one pair of 805 diamond cost about $14.000 (fourteen thousand dolars).
    I'd appreciate any help.
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Fabio,
    Hello and welcome. The 805 is a wonderful speaker and with your 825 to supplement the lows it is a good combination. personally, I do not feel the 805Di, as good as theya re, are worth the cost in your country. If you ae wanting to upgrade, keep/save your dollars and upgrade your front end; Rotel is great mid-fi equipment but I think you will get so much more enjoyment (music) out of upgrading your electronics first. JMHO, worth about 2 cents.

Comment

• Fabio Stief
      • May 2012

Miner,
      Thank you for your reply! I understood your opinion but I didn't get the meaning of the sentence "JMHO, worth about 2 cents". Could you explain to me? So, in my country, these equipments are imported and we have to pay a huge amount of taxes. And we don't have so many choices as you do, unfortunatelly. For example, you can't buy a MacIntosh or a Krell here. You have Marantz, Dennon,Yamaha etc. The best brand that I saw here was Classè. Can you give any tip (if it's permited in this forum).

Comment

• Antus
        • Apr 2008

for the price difference, perhaps u can buy a plane ticket to US and carry them back.

i like bryston, moon, ayre, classe amp for b&w. Check the price difference between ur country and US, if the differenct is too big, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer are just as good.

Comment

• dan87951
          • Nov 2005

The 805S is a very good speaker and for the price the 805D is not worth the upgrade. Yes the 805D's are better -- better imaging and bass but are almost double the cost! If you can get a used set of 805D's at a better price than new than definitely upgrade if you want improved bass and highs. The 805D is a phenomenal speaker but B&W should have priced it at $4k pair IMO.
          dan87951
          audio guru

Comment

• Fabio Stief
            • May 2012

Antus and Dan,
            Thank you for yours insights. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about traveling to the US (Miami probably) and buy a new equipment. When I come back, I' ll have to pay an import tax that costs about 50% of the equipment's price. I think it is still worthy. I'm curious about one thing: how do you buy such products?Through the internet or in a specialized store?

Comment

• scanido
              • Apr 2006

I wouldn't do it.

Then if HT is important to you, then you'll want to upgrade the HTM4 and surrounds.

I would look at upgrading your rears to match your front/center speakers. Also you may want to upgrade from Rotel to something like McIntosh, Classe, bryston, Athem. The electronics will have a tangible difference! You may also want to add a second 825 sub and run your subs in stereo with both doing the LFE.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

I am with everyone else. Based on the pricing you are posting it wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion. You could still likely squeeze more performance out of what you have with upgrades to other areas (electronics, room treatments etc.).

Cheers

Stuart
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Pio
                  • Nov 2005

Fabio

Welcome!! For that amount of money, could you buy a used pair of 802Ds and have them shipped with insurance? The tax has to be less on used equipment, right?

Anyways, I agree with what they guys have written, $14k just seems like too much money for 805Di's.
                  Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• Fabio Stief
                    • May 2012

I thank you all for your help. Nevertheless, I must confess that I'm a little skeptic about buying an used 802d. I don't know, I guess that i'd have to put a lot of trust in a seller that I never met. So I'd rather buy a newone, when I get enough money. Just for you to know: a pair of new 802d cost almos $40.000 (forty thousand dolars) in Brazil. That's why not many people, in my country, know much about hi-end systems. Thank God that there is internet!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"