X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farbs
    • Jun 2004

Damage to speaker

I recently had a friend visit with his baby girl.
    While we weren't watching her she managed to get little fingers and press in the metal dome over the tweeter :M
    Boy was I mad, but what can you do. I know what I felt like doing :a>
    Now I can't really seem to hear the difference, but I was wondering what you would suggest is the best fix. Should I just pull the speaker apart and push it back out or is that a no no?
    BTW the speaker is a lcr 60.
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

Don't bother taking it apart and pushing it back out.
    Your friend should just offer to pay for the damages even without you asking him to.
    Those tweeters aren't that expensive, shouldn't set him back more than $50 so if he hasn't offered paying for them I'd go talk to him
    No point in trying to fix an aluminium dome, and since you didn't break it you shouldn't even try to fix it, just have your dealer order a new tweeter and install it for you at your friends expense.
    Anyway that's what I would do, and he would be lucky if I wouldn't go out and buy a whole new LCR60 and charge him that :B

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

if it is just the silver stuff, it is really just a protective cover that serves no other purpose. Im sure it isnt something you really want damaged, but it isnt the end of the world as long as the tweeter behind it isnt damaged.

I do agree that your friend should work something out with you to get it taken care of.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• theMaximus
        • Jul 2004

I had a similar problem before with a B&W CC2. The aluminum dome is basically a protective cover (at least that is what my dealer told me). I do agree that your friend should pay for the repair. However, if he doesn't, go to a B&W dealer order the aluminum dome and install it yourself. You need to take the plastic cover for the terminals and go in from the back. It would be tough if you have big hands though. You can buy the dome for about $25 + shipping. Your dealer may charge about $30~40 for labor if you ask them to do it for you.
        Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• farbs
          • Jun 2004

Thanks guys,
          I already tried talking to him about fixing it and all he said was she is just a baby and didn't mean it. :M
          He couldn't believe I was asking him to pay for the repair. Needles to say I was pretty Angry. Anyway that's another story, Back to the speaker, I called the distributer for B & W and they don't like the idea of replacing myself because it could void the warranty, so they told me to bring it down and they will only charge me for the part not the labour. arty:
          Also it will cost me about $65aus and it is a 15 min drive.
          By the way my friend hasn't been round since and won't be getting another invite in the near future!!

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

This may be a dumb question, but would your insurance not cover this? Up here it would be covered as long as you state that it was as accident and un-intentional.

Comment

• theMaximus
              • Jul 2004

Ditch your "so called friend." What a irresponsible SOB. If his little girl burns down someone's house, it would be OK because she didn't mean it? That is just bad parenting.

Back to the issue on hand, I originally meant $25 American for the part. I guess if your dealer is willing to do the labor free of charge, no point even thinking about doing it yourself. Good luck with the repair and may God protect your speakers from any future accidents :T .
              Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• farbs
                • Jun 2004

Jyst a quick update,
                Drove down to B & W distributor yesterday, they had the part waiting, the tech took the speaker in straight away, brougth it back about 15 min later all fixed. What service, they even offerred me a coffee while I was waiting!! :T
                All up it cost me $ 57 AUS for the part and they didn't charge me for labour.
                Jeez it's nice when people are nice!!!
                Except for my so called friend.

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

He shouldn't be your friend, anymore.

Comment

• Rags
                    • Aug 2003

TBH if the same happened to me I wouldnt ask my friend to pay - I definately would be annoyed but I just regard it as part and parcel of life when it comes to kids. Maybe its because I have two little kids of my own.

However unlike your friend if my kids did something like that at a friends house I would definately offer up payment for the damage (but I know it would never be accepted or at least I think it wouldnt).

Little kids occasionaly do things like that because they are two young to understand and clearly your friend was distracted at the time as he was talking to you. If your uncomfortable with kids in your house dont invite them and if your not put your speaker grills back on !

Comment

• farbs
                      • Jun 2004

Hey Rags,
                      Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming the kid one little bit!!
                      I understand thet kids do things, shit happens all the stuff.
                      MY point was that my mate didn't seem to care!
                      Does that make sense?

Comment

• Rags
                        • Aug 2003

Yes I do understand. Your mate should at least have done the decent thing and offered to pay.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"