X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Aguilar
    • Jun 2001

Sent friend to get Rava, he buys Sadhara

I have been helping a friend put together a new system for his home. They had a very limited budget they wanted to spend. They did not want to spend over $300 for a receiver and not over $300 for a sub to be purchased at a later time.
    I did talk him into going for the Outlaw 1050 at $499. While setting up the Outlaw for him we realized that his former sub was a really, really cheezy RCA passive sub. I told him that he to enjoy the .1 of his system he needed to invest in a different sub. He asked my opinion and I convinced him to spend $399 on a rava sub.

Yesterday he decided that since he could not enjoy his system without a sub, that he would drive up to Lynwood, Adire's new location, and pick up a Rava sub. So he calls me on the way there and asks me if I could look up directions and a phone number for Adire! I mentioned to him it probably would have been wise to call them BEFORE he started up there to see if they had any in stock. Well, since he was already almost there, he said "They'll have one, I'm sure of it!"

So, he called me after he and his wife left Adire. They did not have any in stock because of their move to the new location and it would be about 2 1/2 weeks before they would get one ready for him. So, he decided he would not be leaving Adire until he had a sub. I do not know who was at the store, but they did a GREAT job of UPSELLING my friend and his wife. They walked out with the Sadhara sub. If you are not familiar with that sub, it is a cyclinder sub made out of BEAUTIFUL rosewood! The wife gave the ok on that sub, simply because it is so beautiful. 8O

I cannot believe that my friend spent so much more on a sub than he had planned too! I will be going to his home tonight to set it up. I can't wait to see it! Or to play with it! Good job Adire!!!

Jeff Aguilar
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Cool! Nothing like coming home with a better sub than originally planned.

Make sure to post a review after you have a chance to hear it.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Cool story Jeff! Keep us informed.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Uh, pretty cool, I guess, but the picture on the Adire site doesn't do it justice- it looks more like stained mahagony than Rosewood! Or maybe that's just my LCD display! !

Whereas this is what I expect Rosewood to look like...

Probably just need a new photographer..... :W

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
          • Jun 2001

Well, I went to his home last night to help him set up his sub.

The sub looks much better than what the picture shows it as. It does not have the deep reds like those beautiful speaker that Jon posted. But let me just say, it was quite beautiful!

Just so you know what I am comparing it to, I have dual 16/46pci's.

His sub stands about 40 inches tall. It has a beautiful slip cover with a rosewood veneer that literally slips over the entire sub!
          We removed the slip cover to check out the inners of the sub. They were quite surprised to see the inners of the sub. I am not sure how they do this, it has to do with their new venting technology, but there is not a port on top of the sub. Looking at the inside of the sub, all we could see was the speaker and the area surround by the sub. I could not see any type of port. I am sure if you needed the venting explained to you, you could go to the Adire site and read about it.
          It took a couple of minutes to calibrate it. We threw it in a corner at the front of the room. His family room is open to the kitchen and dining area. I could only turn up the sub about half way on the amp and to -6 on the Outlaw. This thing sure did push quite a bit of air. I set the sub to about 5 db above the speakers. It still seemed way to hot. I turned it down to be at the same 75 dbs as the mains.

This sub really pushed a lot of air. We were testing it with the movie Dinosaur. In the opening scene where the egg makes its journey to the island, there are some very good bass scenes. You could feel the bass through the air as the pterodactyl flew threw the air. It was quite cool.

The sub is incredibly beautiful and truly looks like a piece of furniture in their room. That is why his wife liked it so much in the showroom. It does not stick out like a large water heater sub in the room. It truly looks like a nice piece of furniture. They are very, very happy with their purchase.

Before we dialed in the sub, my friend asked me if this was too much of a sub for his setup and his house. We scared his little girls and his dog when trying to get it setup! I had to slap him silly for that comment! I explained that his remark was uncalled for and that it should never be repeated again! After setup, he and his wife had that big giddy grin we get when we realize how good our rigs sound. That is what this hobby is all about!!!

Jeff

Comment

• dsmith
            • Jan 2003

That sub may sound much better if he moves it out of the corner. I had the same problem with my SVS - way too much sub for a corner. Now it sounds very smooth and natural moved about 1/2 way down the longest wall in my listening area. Even so I have to turn it down about half power and -6 on the processor.

Don

Comment

• eddiem67
              • Jun 2004

What amp was he using to push that sub, cause I have a QSC1450 and sometimes it seems that the sub isnt even there. Gains maxed out on it too
              My Car Audio

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"