X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pdmonty
    • Nov 2014

B&W 703 damaged tweeter question???

First let me say I'm so glad I found this forum. I am brand new to the world of B&W and am blown away by both the speakers themselves as well as the loyal following they garner.

So here's my dilemma...

...I was recently gifted a pair of 703's, a HTM2 center and two dipole/surrounds (you heard right..."gifted") in near perfect condition from a "very" good friend. Only issue is that one of the tweeters on a 703 has invariably fallen victim, probably to the finger of a curious toddler who likes to push "buttons". It does not appear to affect the sound adversely (although I'm sure it has to be) but I have still been looking at ways to "pull" the tweeter diaphragm out. One person references trying duct tape on the end of a pin...doesn't work on a metal tweeter. Another said to try the really sticky tape that's used to hold up pictures on the wall but this sometimes leaves tape residue.

So here finally is the question. Will it do any good in the end, other than asthetically, to bother pulling out the tweeter? If the sound has been affected is there any true way to get it back to near normal functioning in this manner...or is it better to just buy a new tweeter period. I am very picky about my equipment so I will probably, eventually, get a new tweeter assembly but for now if the sound isn't two badly affected I'd take a temporary fix.

Thanks!
    Paul...

Current Modest Equipment:

B&W 703's (MAINS)
    B&W HTM2 (CENTER)
    B&W 686's (REAR SURROUNDS)
    DS7 (SIDE SURROUNDS)
    B&W ASW750 (SUB)
    B&W AS6 (SUB)
    MARANTZ AV7701
    MARANTZ MM9000 (2) (5 CH AMPS)
    MARANTZ MM7025
    MARANTZ MA6100 (2) (MONO AMPS)
    MARANTZ UD5007 (SACD/BD/CD)
    MARANTZ CD67SE (CD)
    PANAMAX M4300-PM (POWER CONDITIONER)
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Gum, tape, rare earth magnet, all will work to some degree. Forgetting about it and enjoying the sound will ultimately cause the least collateral damage, but if you're like most of us that's not possible.

Lucky for you the diaphragm is reasonably priced direct from B&W and the only thing damaged (be glad you didn't get gifted some diamond speakers!)

703 TWEETER DIAPH ZZ14137 703 TWEETER DIAPHRAGM $104.26

Kevin D.

Comment

• pdmonty
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Kevin D
      Gum, tape, rare earth magnet, all will work to some degree. Forgetting about it and enjoying the sound will ultimately cause the least collateral damage, but if you're like most of us that's not possible.

Lucky for you the diaphragm is reasonably priced direct from B&W and the only thing damaged (be glad you didn't get gifted some diamond speakers!)

703 TWEETER DIAPH ZZ14137 703 TWEETER DIAPHRAGM $104.26

Kevin D.
      Great! thanks Kevin. Yeah I love the speakers and the sound is amazing. Before these I owned a set of Definitive Technology BP20's their original flagship speaker. I "thought" they were amazing too...until I started listening to a pair of 802's at my buddies house (same buddy that gifted me my 703's) and immediately became dis-enchanted by my BP20's...no comparison..BP 20's are already on craigslist! My 703's invoke a similar feeling.

Anyway I took your advice and ordered a new tweeter diaphragm from B&W...$119 shipped! Very reasonable considering the speakers original cost. Thanks a lot for the response. Great forum!
      Paul...

B&W 703's (MAINS)
      B&W HTM2 (CENTER)
      DS7 (SIDE SURROUNDS)
      B&W ASW750 (SUB)
      B&W AS6 (SUB)
      MARANTZ AV7701
      MARANTZ MM7025
      MARANTZ CD67SE (CD)

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I have heard (But never tried it!) that a vacuum cleaner hose carefully moved towards the tweeter dome can pop it out. I would imagine that this would have to be done SLOWLY and CAREFULLY to actually work but I can see it working!

I reality, you have nothing to lose if you are prepared to replace it anyways right?
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

Cut the top off a plastic bottle and place the small end over the tweeter and suck the other end with your mouth, worked for me and is far less aggressive than a vacuum cleaner

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
          Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• pdmonty
            • Nov 2014

Thanks for all the help

Thanks! I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. In the end, after trying many of the suggestions, I bought a new tweeter from B&W....I guess I feel that speakers like these deserve to be whole....great forum...thanks
            Paul...

B&W 703's (MAINS)
            B&W HTM2 (CENTER)
            DS7 (SIDE SURROUNDS)
            B&W ASW750 (SUB)
            B&W AS6 (SUB)
            MARANTZ AV7701
            MARANTZ MM7025
            MARANTZ CD67SE (CD)

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"