X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benxx
    • Aug 2004

602 S3 vs 602.5 S3 vs 603

Looking for a HT system for a relatively small living room. The listen area is 12X11, with the kitchen and walk way adding another 12X10 to the right side. Music/video 50:50

I think I would get a Rotel 1056 and a pair of 601s as rear speakers. Was wondering should I pick 602 or 602.5 or 603? Is a 602 a better speaker than 602.5? otherwise, it seems make more sense to pay for the cabinet than a pair of stands. I am not sure that saves any space, may look better to some people though. How much better is 603?

I am still debating whether I should go ASW600/LCR60 or ASW650/LCR600. Any thoughts around that would be very much appreciated as well.
  • gostan
    • May 2003

When I organized my first B&W HT system, I went with 602's in front, 601's in rear and LCR60 as center. My dealer has a 3 year full credit trade-up policy and a used consignment room. I hated to spend $$ on stands, but I could not afford the 603's so I puchased some cheap no name stands(I personally do not think that the 602.5's are worth the extra $$ over the 602's). I very quickly (when I had a little more $$) upgraded the LCR60 to a LCR600 - there is a great sound difference between the two. I added the sub at a later date. Selling 602's or 601's outright or trading them is never an issue, because of its' entry price-sound point in the B&W speaker line.

If the initial outlay of $$ is an issue, I would opt for the 602's, 601's and a LCR600 (the center channel is so important in HT) and whichever sub you can really afford. You can then trade in or sell the sub or the 602's and upgrade in the near future.
    Stan

Comment

• benxx
      • Aug 2004

Thanks Gostan

In this case I should probably go for the LCR600 then. Just curious, Where do you position the central channel speaker? is it too heavy to be wall mounted? I see a lot of people put it on the TV stand shelf below the TV. I am not sure if it will affect sound quality or if the viberation it creats will casue DVD players, CD players on the same shelf to skip...

I really like the B&W silver stand for the 602s. The local dealer said the best he can do is $275 per pair... . Dealers in our region normally offer 10-15% off the whole setup but the full credit upgrade time goes from 0 to 6 month.. So I am thinking I should probably go for something I can use for a few years. Actually this full credit upgrade time makes me a little bit nervous. How do we know we are getting a brand new speaker instead of a returned one?

Seems I need to go listen to both ASW600 and ASW 650 to make a pick.

Any suggestion on speaker wires for an entry setup like this?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I'd say if you don't have any objections to floorstanders over boofshelfs/stands visually and they're about the same price... go for the floor standers! Better cabinet, more bass etc. Definitetly get the bigger centre, very important for movie soundtracks and SACD/DVD-A. As for wires, vheck out the link at the bottom of the page for Cat Cables, Doug will hook you up with awesome product at very reasonable prices :T

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

Benxx:

No question that floor standers will sound better, but economics for a first time 5.1 system may not always allow the purchase of the same at one time. I started with 601's and 602's and recently completed my 3rd upgrade to 803's. If you have to go for bookshelves, skip the b&w stands and save a lot of $$.

Stan
          Stan

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

Have you listened to the speakers in you own room? I was in your shoes couple months back, contemplating between the 601s/602s/602.5s. I picked up the 601s first and used it in stereo mode, a week later I picked up the LCR600, so far I have the LCR600 as center and 601s as L&R. My room is about 14x12 that connects to other rooms as well. To be honest with you, I think you'd be amazed at how much bass these bookshelves can bring out in smaller rooms like ours. Of course I'll still probably pick up a pair of 602s and put the my existing 601s in surrounds later. But as of right now, the need for a sub is delayed til I got a bigger room.
            My suggestion to you...get the LCR600 instead of LCR60, with your room size I think the 602s will give you plenty of impact if you set them as LARGE in your receiver and hold off on the sub til you got some extra funds. Good luck.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

benxx...let me know what you end up getting. I actually just found a new townhome and will be moving in towards the end of the month. The newer living room dimensions will be 13x25 much longer than the previous one. I finally have enough room to get the surrounds in a more optimal placement. I have the 601s right now as fronts, which I'll move to the surrounds. My center is the LCR600. I'm deciding between the 602s/602.5/603s also myself. I'll be doing more demos the next couple months. Find a dealer that'll let u demo the speakers at home for at least over-night. I've done enough business with my local B&W dealer that, I think I can talk them into letting me bring a pair of all 3 models home to test them out myself. What a busy night that'll be...hehehe....Good luck.

Comment

• benxx
                • Aug 2004

I went with 603s/LCR600/601s/ASW650 and Rotel 1056. It sounds great

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

Congratulations! as the speakers break in, it is only going to sound better.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• brendon
                    • Aug 2004

how do 601's perform in rear wall placement?

Hi All,I too have a very small home theater room and am looking at a simular set up to those dicussed above.
                    My main concern is how imaging would be affected in my setup which due to space considerations would have a couch (the only Listening position) directly under the rears ,requiring speakers to be sharply angled down to get tweaters poiting at seating position.Should I consider Dipoles? my budget is extremely limited and the only B&W one I have seen was too dear and from another range.
                    My usage for the system would be 75% music(some SACD and DVD-A as I have just bought pioneer DV667a(DV-563a eqv)) and 25 %HT.
                    Does any body have experience driving this set up with Marantz SR 5400/SR6400 amps?
                    Thanks Brendon

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                      • May 2004

Brendon....I just moved into a bigger place with bigger living room. I now have the 601s slightly wider apart and the old room dimensions was 14x12 with 12 ft ceilings to 12x30 with 9 ft ceilings. The speakers seems like they got more room to move in the newer place. I'll be picking up a pair of 602s in a couple weeks. And the 601s will be plenty for a smaller room, unless you are moving soon in the future. I'd go with the 602s if I were you.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"