X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Need your support

OK, this is probably going to sound rediculous to some of you. I feel rediculous for admitting it.

I have N804's and an htm1 in my system. I have been saving the cardboard boxes, because my dealer is allowing me to upgrade annually if I save these boxess.

The boxes are intruding on our space (according to my live in fiance) and they have to go.

I keep telling myself that I have a great system and I shouldn't worry about wanting more. I was hoping to be able to upgrade into a pair of 802's at some point though.

My fiance blew up when I told her that. I know I should be saving for a house, and get out of this apt. That will probably be a big upgrade in itself by getting into a bigger living room.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

Don't forget that although 802's are a really big upgrade, they require much more amplifier power then the 804's.
    I don't know what amp you use, but don't forget that if your current one isn't up to the task, you'll also have to upgrade your amps which will add to the upgrade pricetag.
    A bigger room will benefit the 804's, perhaps you'll have to use a good subwoofer with them if it's a really big room.
    I'd love to have some 802's too someday, but it's a huge investment both in speakers and in amplification.

When your fiance blew up, she wasn't standing too close to the speakers was she ?
    I'd hate to see them damaged by the blast

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I have a cinenova grande 5 which is 300w x 5. Each amp is a monoblock in itself. I know the 802's are 500w, but I was told before this amp should do good for them.

Comment

• Phil Rose
        • Aug 2000

Well... you're going to need some rear speakers that have similar voicing so just keep the 804's for the rear. This setup will also give you great speakers all around for multi-channel audio.

Comment

• gsiokis
          • Mar 2004

When are u sellling your 804's? I might be able to take them off your hands..... :LOL:

BTW - What color?

Gus

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Ya, I've already given in the thought of 804's in the rear. I agreed to get in wall speakers for surround. Im thinkin the b&w signature 8nt's? That way speakers aren't intrusive on the room.

The speakers I have are red cherry.

I should be happy with these. I have considered upgrading the center to signature htm. Anyone have any experience with it? Wonder if would still match ok with the 804's.

If I do not upgrade the 804's, what I might do is just buy a pair of subs for the front. One next to the front right and front left. The ones I am considering is the REL Strata III, the SVS 20-39 or the b&W asw800. I would prefer to spend less money and still have the best integration.

I am not overly concerned with multi-channel music at this point. I have 300 cd's, and have no interest in duplicating my efforts at this point. Maybe when multi-channel becomes available for car's I might consider it. At this point, SACD, DVD-A and DTS-A are too much to be concerned with.

Comment

• aphexist
              • Jan 2004

I'm in a similar situation, I suppose. We proabably have very similar systems.

You have to resist the urge to think about upgrading. If we had unlimited funds and unlimited space, we could do this stuff on a whim. However, it's not really fun if you never sit down and enjoy what you have. For example, you mentioned only have 300 cds! While you may be content to explore the outer reaches of your sound system via demo tracks from a test CD, exploring new recordings and types of music would be more rewarding (especially on such a nice system). People talk about how they heard "sounds they never heard before" on their favorite CD, and that is fun, but if you buy a new CD you are hearing songs and sounds you have actually never heard before.

I want to think about this more, but I am at work. Later.

Comment

• Phil Rose
                • Aug 2000

Oh, another thing to take into consideration is that the N802s need a good sized room for the bass to integrate properly in. If you jam these beasts into a 10x10 room they will most likely sound pretty unbalanced. Also, if you're really not into audio (2-channel) and plan to use the system mostly for HT don't waste your money on the 802s. You'll get more mileage out of a good sub. Be careful about putting two subs in because you can get some nasty room modes but, people have had success with "twins". I think the 8NT in-walls would be great for surrounds. Seems to me if your fiance said you could go with the sub and in-walls, you'd be in "tall cotton".

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"