X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Next B&W Upgrade. Your opinion?

Ok, im getting the itch again to upgrade my system.

Now I have two choices for the next step.

Upgrade my amp (looking at used rotel 1090s) for the 802s. Currently using an Aragon 4004 200wattx2 amp.

or

Upgrade the center to a used HTM 1 (but the kicker is im currently using a Yamaha 120 watt reciever to power my current center and rears, so im pretty sure the reciever wouldnt do the HTM 1 justice)

Both are almost identical prices on the used market.

So what would you do?
    B&W
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver

Upgrade my amp (looking at used rotel 1090s) for the 802s. Currently using an Aragon 4004 200wattx2 amp.

or

Upgrade the center to a used HTM 1 (but the kicker is im currently using a Yamaha 120 watt reciever to power my current center and rears, so im pretty sure the reciever wouldnt do the HTM 1 justice)

So what would you do?
    Do you have a B&W center that you are selling? I need something to match my DM3000's.

I just received my 550 wpc QSC 3002 today for my 801's. Lots of really clean power for a good price and stable to 2 ohms. They work very well with horns so they definately have clean power.

Chris

Comment

• Fife
      • Apr 2004

Your Aragon is good...but getting something more high current/power is better. The Rotel is very gutsy but Ive never heard that paired with the N802. It might work well together.

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

Go back to the pawn shop/thrift store you got your 802 at - they way your luck is running you will find exactly what you are looking for.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Which is more? Music or HT

Race Car Driver,

Great dilemma. Been there, done that. Ultimately did both (of course), but not at the same time. I think the answer could be had by what you do most. If you are heavily music, the upgraded amp would seem to be the right path. If you watch a lot of HT, the HTM1 is a great choice. I have the HTM1. It is an awesome center channel. There is little comparison between 'regular' but very nice center channels, and the HTM1. It is a major move up. I realize it would be powered by a reciever and that it wouldn't be at it's best. But, maybe even an 'underpowered' HTM1 maybe a very nice upgrade over what you have.

Do you have one of the RXV series Yamaha's? These are pretty good. 120 of those watts is not bad. Another option could be to get the HTM1 and look for a used 2 channel power amp (like a rotel 1070 or something like that) and power the HTM1 (bi-amp could even be fun). Of course, that's more $.

So I guess my final answer is a slight edge to the HTM1. It is outstanding. And I assume you have the space for one. It is BIG.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• akhter
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver

or

So what would you do?
            How much is the Aragon amp? I'd get a pair of Nuforce monobocks if I were you...

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I have ref9's for my N802's and I am thinking very seriously of getting rid of them in about 2 months in favor of either a bryston 6b or a classe ca-3200. I just dont feel the deliver enough.

Id steer clear of the rotel for your 802n's also. go ahead and get the htm1 now, and plan on saving for a good amp that will properly power the speakers. there are plenty of options when it comes to amps. monoblocks, three channel, 5 channel, not sure if 7 channel would do the 802's justice.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• akhter
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                I have ref9's for my N802's and I am thinking very seriously of getting rid of them in about 2 months in favor of either a bryston 6b or a classe ca-3200. I just dont feel the deliver enough.

Id steer clear of the rotel for your 802n's also. go ahead and get the htm1 now, and plan on saving for a good amp that will properly power the speakers. there are plenty of options when it comes to amps. monoblocks, three channel, 5 channel, not sure if 7 channel would do the 802's justice.
                True but when you talk about Classe/Brsyton/Krell etc, you are talking mega bucks here...

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by akhter
                  True but when you talk about Classe/Brsyton/Krell etc, you are talking mega bucks here...
                  I struggle with this myself, but if one can justify $8k speakers (no matter what they are purchased at), they should be able to justify proper amplification and not skimp there either.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Well, I suppose, the HTM1 will happen regardless, an amp upgrade is going to happen, but what amp I get is up in the air, so many choices.
                    I was leaning to the amp side of things, as I listen to alot of music.
                    My current center channel works, but id like more, its a Blueroom Cinepod.

But I suppose since the center is down to one choice, that might be the better decision for now.
                    B&W

Comment

• earwit
                      • Jun 2006

Race Car driver,

To me it's a no brainer, go McIntosh.
                      there is something about these amps with B&W speakers that
                      simply works. The Mac amps, are so clean, musical, effortless,
                      they become addictive, and will bring out the best in the B&W's

Mcintosh are pricey too, but can easily be obtained used, and last forever..

If you use the same amp on a better center the difference will be minor,
                      use a better amp on any speaker , especially B&W's and you will be amazed

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

thats the one thing about a good amp. you really only need to buy it once.

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

Can't go wrong with CA-M400s for the 802s. That's pure bliss.
                          That pure bliss goes for McIntosh as well.
                          Bryston is close, but I think the prior two match a little bit better.
                          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                          -Dan

Comment

• caleb
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sikoniko

I have the Bryston 7B SST for my 802s - it works a treat.

Also don't forget the 20 year warranty with the brystons.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

I'd definitely go for an amp upgrade. If you're into solid state amps, I'd go for something where power doubles as resistance halves. I'd listen to Classe' first. Then try Krell, McIntosh, Bryston, Mark Levinson, etc. Expensive ... yes. But quality amplification is necessary in order to enable your B&W's to perform at their best. Also, your amplification is more of an investment than an expense. It should want to last you for quite a longer time than your source and even your pre-amp/surround controller.

Good luck

Comment

• chinets
                                • Jun 2005

If you are going the HT route get the HTM1 you'll be mesmerized. Now if you are into 2 channel and only Music, upgrade your Amp. All the above Amps are great and the Rotel amps are good too, so don't put those down ,since you are getting clean sound for a good price!!! BTW the HTM1 does not need a lot of power, so 120 watts is more than enough, as I went through that myself. So if it is HT or DVD-A or SA-CD in Multi-Channel then HTM1 is your ticket.
                                Cheers and good Luck!!!!!
                                ARGENTINA CAMPEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Hehe, still waiting for that cash tree to sprout in my back yard.

Yea, ive been listening to alot of DVD-A and SACD lately, and have about 300 DVDs.
                                  But I listen to music alot, so thats why this is tough. I DO want an amp upgrade though. So I guess we will see.
                                  Thanks for the opinions and reasons behind them, gives me something to think about.
                                  B&W

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"