X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiophied
    • Apr 2006

B&W N802 and Classe upgrade advice

I am currently running my 802s with Classe's CAP 2100. This used to be adequate but I just moved and my new listening area has a 12 feet high ceiling and the area is less enclosed (the room opens up to the right).

So my question is whether it would be better to buy a sub (considering ASW 850/855) or should I spend my $s on a larger amp (CA 2200 or CAM 350s).

I also plan on expanding my 2-channel set-up to surround sound so the sub would be useful from that point of view also.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
  • NonSense
    • Nov 2003

These seem to be two separate issues.

You should audition a more powerful amp to see if it will impove the 802s in this larger environment. Placement and room treatment may also be a consideration since you just moved.

and

If you decide to expand to 5 or more channels then you should get a sub along with the center and surrounds.

If it turns out that your 802's are underpowered, the SUB probably won't be the improvement you are looking to achieve.
    Bruce

Comment

• WI Rotel
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by audiophied
      I am currently running my 802s with Classe's CAP 2100. This used to be adequate but I just moved and my new listening area has a 12 feet high ceiling and the area is less enclosed (the room opens up to the right).

So my question is whether it would be better to buy a sub (considering ASW 850/855) or should I spend my $s on a larger amp (CA 2200 or CAM 350s).

I also plan on expanding my 2-channel set-up to surround sound so the sub would be useful from that point of view also.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
      You need a bigger amp without question. You should at least double your RMS power to 200 watts or more.
      I'm not going to recommend you one since any rotel will cost a fraction of the price of your Classe integrated, thus, you will poopoo it from the get go. In that price range there are fine choices from MC, bryston or of course classe which for a surround system will put you back around 15K or so. Of course, you'll have to put away another 5k or so for your surrounds later on! Since I'm of the opinion that 99% of what you hear depends on the speakers, I would configure my expenditure exactly the opposite 4 K for new amp and processing and 10K for speakers!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"