X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcsun
    • Jan 2012

803DI problem

My 803's are now 4 years old and I am loving them, however I have noticed that both the rubber flow ports at the bottom of the speakers have gone "sticky" I do not think anything has been spilt on them and it would be highly unlikely to be on both of them. It could be the spray polish that my wife has used over the years although she is careful and none has ever been on or near the cones of the speakers.
    Everything else seems perfect just the rubber flow ports????

I have tried wiping them with a damp cloth and then a slightly soapy damp cloth although they both remain sticky

Has anybody else ever had this issue?

KC
    Last edited by kcsun; 24 February 2017, 08:59 Friday. Reason: spelling mistake
    Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
    B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

I have seen *some* 800 series before but all have been second hand so not sure of what has been done to them. So I suspect environmental effects. Possibly the polish, or have they had direct sunlight perhaps?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I was going to say I'd try a little bit of dawn (see if it's is some type of greasy buildup), or try something like goo gone in just a little spot to see if that cleans it.

I thought all the B&W flowports were a hard plastic... maybe I'm wrong on this?
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

Ah for some reason I misread this and thought the OP was talking about the driver surrounds. Again, I think my points stand.

@PewterTA it seems to be a hard plastic with a slightly rubberised texture on some of them IIRC. I have had 802s for a while now so can't remember what they feel like on the front facing ones (the 802s are definitely hard plastic but I think 803 and down are different so they look/feel a bit nicer)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• kcsun
          • Jan 2012

Sorry for delay in getting back to you, I have been away for a few days

The flow ports are a hard rubber/plastic. I do not think it is anything we have done to them as it is on both speakers and all round the port. If fluid had been spilt or dropped on the speaker it is highly unlikely it would be on both speakers and on the whole of the surface of the flowports

Think I will give B&W a call and then report back to you all

KC
          Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
          B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub

Comment

• dan87951
            • Nov 2005

I had a pair of 803D's (first gens) and had them for 3 years and never experienced anything like that on the rubber flow port. I never used any polish or cleaner on them just the microfiber cloth to dust them.
            dan87951
            audio guru

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"