X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigasa
    • Jul 2010

805Di / 804Di with 2 subs..... or 803Di or 802Di

Hello

First post, stumbled on this forum yesterday - Seems to be alot of talk recently about the benefits of having subs for stereo listening.

Im going to be getting something from the new BW range, but wondered what your thoughts are on 805Di with 2 subs, or even the 804di with subs (would that be pointless over the 805di?)

Or is it still better to put the money into the speakers themselves, say 803di with no subs or even 802di and no subs, or girlfriend probably.

This is for a stereo system only.

Ive been fairly impressed with my current system in stereo, with a REL B1 sub, but i want more and better...plus even though i have a surround system i use it for stereo 99% of the time - so makes sense to upgrade and downsize...

Interested in your opinions....

As i side note im reading alot on the forum about JL subs... seems they arent available in uk tho?
  • Pedro
    • Jan 2006

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-W-801D-speaker...-/280538762982 :T

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

Hallo bigasa,

how much is your room? is a dedicate room?

for only stereo you can have a very good system with the 804Di with a velodyne...(i have a HT sytem with 803di and asub B&W)

what for ampli/electronic do you use to powered the B&W?

personaly i'm for a system pure audio with the 804Di or max the 803di.,
      a TT, CD player. stop. (maybe a great dac extern :W )
      more money for a good (and more equalibrated system) is to see for the power cables and your electricity line....

Style

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

My 2 cents would be that it does depend on two things:

A: How big is your room? Small rooms would make it difficult to integrate bigger speakers well without a lot of acoustical treatment.
        However small speakers can be difficult to seamlessly integrate with sub woofers as well, so no easy answer there.

B: Are you running a two channel or multi-channel setup?
        If you're running a multi-channel setup then it may be easier with the sub solution as your processor will take care of all the integration for you. If running a dedicated two channel setup then that does become a bit more tricky as you will most likely be running back to and from your sub making a lot of adjustments for a long time before you get it just right..

Guess the hifi nut in me says go big - but it is a lot easier to live with something smaller that does look nice.. but ultimately your call

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Welcome to the club, Bigasa! :T

Your decision depends on quite a few factors such as:

Finances you are willing to spend;
          Size of your 2-Channel listening room;
          Very importantly ... what your own ears really prefer.

If it is of any assistance to you, my preference would be to do acoustic room treatment firstly, followed by top quality speakers and then top quality components (source player, pre-amp, amp) to eliminate as many weaks in the audio quality chain to arrive at the best possible sound to MY liking (which might be different to YOUR liking). Of course, you need to determine the acceptable quality level for yourself.

For 2-Channel dedicated listening sessions, I prefer NOT to use a sub (in any case, if I were to use the sub, there'd be additional re-routing and processing of the audio signal and I don't want that). So, if I were in your shoes, I'd most likely be looking at a pair of 802Di's.

The ultimate test would be for you to demo the new B&W "Di" range yourself, prefereably with some of your own music pieces.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

• bigasa
            • Jul 2010

The room is a standard size uk living room.. by that i mean 6m by 4m

Its going to be stereo only....

price is quite important obviously... but rather get what works....

and re amp.. was thinking of a mcintosh integrated?

cheers..

a

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

I am currently using 802D's in a room near the size you mention - and boy do I have issues with the acoustics. Not anything that cannot be solved - but not real easy and not in a way that makes me love the look of it...

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Hallo bigasa,

go see :

B&W 804 Diamond playing Royksopp - Trentemøller Remix What Else is there (mobile camera)

:T

Style

Comment

• Charlieu
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by bigasa
                  Hello

First post, stumbled on this forum yesterday - Seems to be alot of talk recently about the benefits of having subs for stereo listening.

Im going to be getting something from the new BW range, but wondered what your thoughts are on 805Di with 2 subs, or even the 804di with subs (would that be pointless over the 805di?)

Or is it still better to put the money into the speakers themselves, say 803di with no subs or even 802di and no subs, or girlfriend probably.

This is for a stereo system only.

Ive been fairly impressed with my current system in stereo, with a REL B1 sub, but i want more and better...plus even though i have a surround system i use it for stereo 99% of the time - so makes sense to upgrade and downsize...

Interested in your opinions....

As i side note im reading alot on the forum about JL subs... seems they arent available in uk tho?
                  I have 804S' and 805S' along with a couple f113's. While I'm set up for home theater, I mostly use it for listening to music. I dumped a couple of ported subs for the f113's for that reason. In my experiments, I found the 804S easier to integrate with the subs. Also the FST driver in the 804S is fantastic. The mid/bass driver in the 805S can't hold a candle to it.

If I was in your situation looking for just a stereo solution, I would be torn too. The 804S/f113 combo takes up more space than a larger speaker would. However, the sub and speaker combo gives you some flexibility to get the best sound out of each. I've listened to some pretty nice speakers at audiophile shows and dealer showrooms and I didn't hear anything that made me think I was missing something by staying with my current setup.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"