I just purchased P7 headphones, and C5 ear buds!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I just purchased P7 headphones, and C5 ear buds!

Ok, are you ready to know what I got? It's big, really big!!!

I am kidding, it's small, really small:

B & W P7 over hear headphones dude!!! :T These are truly a work of functional art. I love them, right down to the leather case.

Go down to 10 Hz on the low side, these really are speakers on your ears.

I removed the leather cup and changed the cable out to a replacement cable that is silver coated copper. But then I had to put a aftermarket volume control on it, at least for some functions. But they fit so comfortably, these are the best!!! The factory installed cable is compatible with all things Apple, great if you do Apple, I don't. But will keep it just in case I convert later to something. With the magnetic leather ear cups, cables are really easy to swap out.

More on this review later...

Some assembly required. Just kidding!

I also have an in ear ear bud coming first of this week, so I will have options at work. I just have to have something in my ears at work, the guy next to me is a huge distraction, and KILLS me with his horrible cube habits. Coughing, hole punching, notebooks opening and closing all the time. huffing and puffing when I have visitors. I get so irritated, I just have to zone out, and my old Seinnheiser phones, the cups are wore completely out to the point the inner structure is hurting my ears.

I will probably rotate between the two, ,what I have coming later this week is: C5 S2: These hopefully will round out my complete listening package.

FYI, I use both my own music online to listen too, as well as listening to a portable XM radio. I had no volume control on the portable XM radio below a certain volume that would get fatiguing after a while, so, I will use the add on volume control whenever plugged into XM.

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Fascinating!! Did you get a chance to audition them before buying? I find most headphones nowadays are tweaked to be way too bass heavy. My older Grado SM80's are sonically perfect and I base (tweak) my whole sound system at home off the sound these cans produce. I would kill to audition the Oppo PM line of Planar headsets!! Of course, those cans cost $400-700 kicks in the head but I have a feeling they sound just heavenly !
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

horrible reason to buy headphones, I saw them at BB, and loved them. I did not audition them unfortunately. But I read reviews, and I sort of trusted that if B & W put their monikor on them, they would likely be pretty good. I'm not interested in Grado 1500+ phones, too rich for my blood. I required full ear enclosure phones, the P7s fit the bill, and I felt like that even though they were not noise cancelling with power, they would fit well enough to envelop the user in sound, and diffuse most surrounding noise pretty darn well. I was able to save $50.00 buying from a company on Amazon with Amazon fulfillment. That means the dealer left the product in their hands for sale and shipment at one of their regional distribution centers. Since my local tax is 10%. Blowing the tax on a $400.00 item is 40.00, also they were marked 10.00 off, lol. 390. I think I paid about 250 for my Seinheiser.

I also wanted replacable cable. With the ear cups being held on magnetically, they pull off to make cable changes, though they are not standard size plug inside the ear cup, they are smaller than 1/8" But after buying 1 extra cable, I have 3 on hand. I did not realize they came with 2 cables, and I wanted longer than 1.3 meters, so I got a 1.8 meter cable for 36.00 from Amazon, it's silver coated copper. Twisted pair very nice quality.

They were good for a long time, but this past year or two have been a downhill trip They were the noise cancelling variety. My ear cups basically disentigrated slowly with little bits of cheap thin leather coming loose, and flaking off. It got so bad, I finally just sat down and started ripping it all off. They served me well for a number of years, however, I found those thin ear cup materials unacceptable. The B & Ws are much better grade leather.

I would not call these bass heavy, though they will deliver the bass! They will also deliver highs very well. I would say it's the best value in a $300-400.00 set of phones, IMO.

They are just wonderful.

Doug
      Doug

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
        horrible reason to buy headphones, I saw them at BB, and loved them. I did not audition them unfortunately. But I read reviews, and I sort of trusted that if B & W put their monikor on them, they would likely be pretty good. I'm not interested in Grado 1500+ phones, too rich for my blood. I required full ear enclosure phones, the P7s fit the bill, and I felt like that even though they were not noise cancelling with power, they would fit well enough to envelop the user in sound, and diffuse most surrounding noise pretty darn well. I was able to save $50.00 buying from a company on Amazon with Amazon fulfillment. That means the dealer left the product in their hands for sale and shipment at one of their regional distribution centers. Since my local tax is 10%. Blowing the tax on a $400.00 item is 40.00, also they were marked 10.00 off, lol. 390. I think I paid about 250 for my Seinheiser.

I also wanted replacable cable. With the ear cups being held on magnetically, they pull off to make cable changes, though they are not standard size plug inside the ear cup, they are smaller than 1/8" But after buying 1 extra cable, I have 3 on hand. I did not realize they came with 2 cables, and I wanted longer than 1.3 meters, so I got a 1.8 meter cable for 36.00 from Amazon, it's silver coated copper. Twisted pair very nice quality.

They were good for a long time, but this past year or two have been a downhill trip They were the noise cancelling variety. My ear cups basically disentigrated slowly with little bits of cheap thin leather coming loose, and flaking off. It got so bad, I finally just sat down and started ripping it all off. They served me well for a number of years, however, I found those thin ear cup materials unacceptable. The B & Ws are much better grade leather.

I would not call these bass heavy, though they will deliver the bass! They will also deliver highs very well. I would say it's the best value in a $300-400.00 set of phones, IMO.

They are just wonderful.

Doug
        I had to replace the ear foam material on my Grado's a few years back. They cost $40 bucks which I thought was excessive for a couple of pieces of foam. It's likely that you could find replacements for your Sennie's as well.

I'm glad you like the sound of the B&W's Doug. I'm curious to hear your review of the ear bud one's when you get them. I find the in-ear head sets better for mobile listening because they are designed for that kind of mobile power output. My Grado's don't like the power that my smart phone offers them and they don't play loud enough or anywhere near to their potential. I use a headphone amp for them when listening to CD's and they gobble up the power and produce magic!!

I use a set of $60 buck pair of in-ear Sennie's for my smart phone and they sound wonderful with some EQ adjustments.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Ok Dan, I will give my evaluation when they arrive. Sometimes, I like to go stealth looking, you know, not sit at my desk with big phones on, but still isolate myself from the background noise of my environment. It's a lot in Cube City you know, and our cubes are as full as ever. We go from extremes of a guy that makes zero noise about, two cubes up, to a guy next to me that is the bain of my existence at work. Thus, the headphones and plugs all the time. He's so annoying, I have considered moving cubes, but have to be careful where move too, can loose space, or get to a spot that gets a lot hotter. I had an offer to trade a while ago, and passed it by, as I did not want to get into a "hotter zone".

60.00 got Seinies is probably a pretty good set. Seinheiser usually represnsts a good value, tough to spell without looking up. lol...

I recommended a set to a woman at work, she bought from BH and has been very happy with them. They appear to be an upgrade over mine. I wondered about cup replacement, but I have not figured out how they would come off. I may soon put them into the what have you got to lose category and see if they can be replaced.

I am a little surprised no other BW guys have a thing to say about either of my purchases. You know it is hard to wear a pair of 803's on your ears, haha.
          Doug

Comment

• JürgenW
            • Jul 2004

I bought the P7 a few days ago, for using it mainly with an iPad and iPhone. I like it. The sit comfortably on my head and the sound good. I read that they must break in to get their potential, so I wait for a real qualification. (And with me it takes a while; I prefer speakers.)
            Last edited by JürgenW; 03 December 2015, 12:15 Thursday. Reason: them -> it

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by JürgenW
              I bought the P7 a few days ago, for using them mainly with an iPad and iPhone. I like them. The sit comfortably on my head and the sound good. I read that they must break in to get their potential, so I wait for a real qualification. (And with me it takes a while; I prefer speakers.)
              Just like speakers, I believe that headsets 'break in' as well. Both my Grado over the ear and in ear Sennie's sound way better now than they did when I bought them!

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Well, I've had a few days to enjoy my headphones and ear buds. I of course, love the headphones more. I listened to XM radio on them for at least 6-8 hours now, detailed, full audio spectrum, nothing "too heavy", very articulate and voice well. The audio could probably not be much better in this price range.

The phones are so heavy, they are a little bit mobile on your head sometimes. In other words, they don't plant hard on your head to stay put. I find that if I move around too much, they can start to move on me, the topsection. The cups seem to fit pretty snug, they are comfortable for I would say up to 4 hours listening, then I want to come out of them. The Ear buds make a nice option when I want to free my ears of full coverage, and go lighter.

They don't sound quite as full as the over ear phones. The isolation is not quite as complete. I have some different rubber tips that came with them that I may try, it may allow a better fit by my ears. When I push them real snug, I seem to get fuller audio, but I can't hold them in that position, and they tend to back out if left there on their own. It takes a real suction fit to get everything there is for these phones to offer. But I like how the loop makes them fit, it's just a little more time consuming at first to get them positioned. Very well made. I am using a separate control for volume on both sets since I don't do apple stuff. It would have been nice if they'd come with cables for general 1/8" audio. Not crazy about the suedette case for the ear buds. I would have preferred leather, and at the price they cost, seems like I paid for it, however, if I had to give up sound quality to get leather, that wouldn't be a good trade...

Nothing is going back though, all keepers.

Doug
                Doug

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

I've had the P5 (v1) for a few years now and I'm very satisfied with them. I'd probably have gone with the P7 if they'd been around at the time, but I'm in no hurry to change yet. I do have plans to give myself a present for my 50th birthday (still a couple of years away), so I've already started auditioning some headphones in the 800-1200$ range. But they would be strictly for at home use. The P5s will remain my everyday on the go headphones.

One caveat is the shortish cable (same issue appears to afflict the P7, I see). I'm not much for "break in" and "cable swapping" (unless damaged) but I'll take a look at the longer ones you found (especially useful for my desktop system with the Schiit DAC and headphone amp I have--the P5 cable is a touch short to be truly comfortable, though I've managed so far).

Enjoy.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Ovation, I don't know if you are one of the Applephiles. But if you are not, I added a Volume control between headphones and source. What this gives me is just enough length to make the P5s comfortable. I swear, listen to the 400.00 BWs before spending 1K or more on phones, you may save some coin! I love mine, the spatial placement of instruments is mind blowing with the P7s. I hear music behind where the actual cup for the phone is, and they are VERY comfortable. Of course like any full coverage phone can be a little fatiguing at times.

Rock on.

Doug
                    Doug

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Well, in part, the budget is a bit of a "statement" (that I can afford--my brother in law, upon reaching 50, bought himself a 30,000$ Harley Davidson--I'm aiming a bit lower. ).

I'm also thinking of going open-back for home use and, as I usually do with speaker/headphone purchases, I've already started to audition some in that price range. The planar-magnetic phones I've tried are definitely on a re-audition list (HiFiMan, Oppo, Audeze), while I'm also open to more classic designs (I tried a Grado that was quite interesting).

I also tried the P7 (had my P5s on hand when I went to the audio show last spring, so I could compare everything to my current reference). I prefer the P7 over-ear to the P5 on-ear, but not enough to make the move. I found them very similar in sound overall (as one would expect), so I know I'd be happy with the P7 as a P5 replacement should anything happen to the latter.

Perhaps I'll make a gift of my P5s to my son when he's a bit older (at 10, he's not quite ready to be careful enough with them) and, if so, I'll definitely get the P7 as a replacement.

I do use my P5s with my iPhone and iPad, and they easily drive the phones, but I do appreciate the extra oomph I get with the Schiit DAC and amp combo I have (Magni and Modi--both Uber) with my desktop set up.

Well, it's time to get the P5s on for some music while I do some marking. Been procrastinating too much today. Cheers.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

I shall giveth a banana... :banana:
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
                          Well, in part, the budget is a bit of a "statement" (that I can afford--my brother in law, upon reaching 50, bought himself a 30,000$ Harley Davidson--I'm aiming a bit lower. ).

I'm also thinking of going open-back for home use and, as I usually do with speaker/headphone purchases, I've already started to audition some in that price range. The planar-magnetic phones I've tried are definitely on a re-audition list (HiFiMan, Oppo, Audeze), while I'm also open to more classic designs (I tried a Grado that was quite interesting).

I also tried the P7 (had my P5s on hand when I went to the audio show last spring, so I could compare everything to my current reference). I prefer the P7 over-ear to the P5 on-ear, but not enough to make the move. I found them very similar in sound overall (as one would expect), so I know I'd be happy with the P7 as a P5 replacement should anything happen to the latter.

Perhaps I'll make a gift of my P5s to my son when he's a bit older (at 10, he's not quite ready to be careful enough with them) and, if so, I'll definitely get the P7 as a replacement.

I do use my P5s with my iPhone and iPad, and they easily drive the phones, but I do appreciate the extra oomph I get with the Schiit DAC and amp combo I have (Magni and Modi--both Uber) with my desktop set up.

Well, it's time to get the P5s on for some music while I do some marking. Been procrastinating too much today. Cheers.
                          I would kill to try the Oppo planar headsets. However, they are not exactly at the corner store to audition either. I still love my Grado set and it's still a benchmark for me as to how a good head set should sound and have not as yet heard anything better. I do think however that the Oppo planars would out perform them and this is what worries me !!

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

The Oppo gear was available at the annual Montreal audio show (last year had a whole section devoted to headphones--a major leap from the one or two small tables that were normally available years ago). It should be there again next spring. Sample at your own peril. :P

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

The Oppo gear was available at the annual Montreal audio show (last year had a whole section devoted to headphones--a major leap from the one or two small tables that were normally available years ago). It should be there again next spring. Sample at your own peril. :P
                              I just wish they would advertise the show better!!?? I only find out about it after the fact. :-(

Hey, did you get a chance to try the Oppo Planar's at the show Ovation ??

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

I did. They were quite nice. Also accidentally tried a pair from Audeze I think--MSRP 2995$ US. :E They were FANTASTIC!!! But not in my budget.

Accidentally because I never audition gear I cannot afford when researching a purchase. I do that kind of stuff in between purchases when I know it's just for fun. Oh well, still early days, so no real problem.

As to the show, google Festival Son et Image and their schedule should be up. Usually late March/early April at the Bonaventure Hilton

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

I did. They were quite nice. Also accidentally tried a pair from Audeze I think--MSRP 2995$ US. :E They were FANTASTIC!!! But not in my budget.

Accidentally because I never audition gear I cannot afford when researching a purchase. I do that kind of stuff in between purchases when I know it's just for fun. Oh well, still early days, so no real problem.

As to the show, google Festival Son et Image and their schedule should be up. Usually late March/early April at the Bonaventure Hilton
                                  Hummmm.........The Oppo's were "quite nice" ???!!! That's it ??! They're $600 buck headphones!!! The Audeze were "Fantastic" !!?? Hummmm.... I need more details please??

Comment

• Ovation
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2004

Actually the Oppo set I tried were 1200$ US MSRP. And "quite nice" is, from me, high praise indeed.

I didn't take detailed notes (first auditions are always to weed out the undesirables). They will happen closer to the time I start seriously narrowing the choices.

Patience, my young padawan. (Saw the new Star Wars movie earlier today).

Comment

• madmac
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2010

Actually the Oppo set I tried were 1200$ US MSRP. And "quite nice" is, from me, high praise indeed.

I didn't take detailed notes (first auditions are always to weed out the undesirables). They will happen closer to the time I start seriously narrowing the choices.

Patience, my young padawan. (Saw the new Star Wars movie earlier today).
                                      AWK !!! Headphones are more important than silly Star Wars stuff !!! Heehehehe!!

Comment

• Ovation
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

I know this is an old thread, but it does relate to B&W headphones (though it includes another brand too--sorry ops: ).

My trusty P5s gave up the ghost unexpectedly Sunday night. I was enjoying some Ella Fitzgerald via ALAC lossless files, Schiit Magni/Modi amp/DAC stack and my P5s (v1) when, without warning, the right channel went silent. An hour of swapping cables, trying different devices, trying (and failing) to open the 'phone up to see if I could fix a loose connection--all for naught. If I tap on the right earpiece the sound comes back but it doesn't stay. Clearly there is something loose and the fix is probably simple. However, I don't have the tools to open it up without damage, so I'd rather not risk it. I'll track down a repair shop (I like them too much to condemn them) but I could not go without headphones. I'm either working from home or in libraries (have gone back to do a PhD in history, so lots of reading) and I need a way to cut myself off from outside distractions.

I gave some thought to just buying another pair of P5s, but as I plan to have mine fixed, I thought I'd look at other options. I'm not ready to splurge on the "statement" headphones I mentioned in previous posts (school costs money) and, besides, such headphones will likely (though not certainly) be open-back--not practical for my current needs. I considered the P7, but that's very close to my P5s (as per my previous comparison noted up thread) and I'd like to keep the newer P9 in the mix for the "statement" category.

I ended up looking at some B&O, Sennheiser and Master Dynamic 'phones in the 300-400$ CDN price range. Each had nice qualities but were all too "bass-heavy" for my tastes and I was thinking I'd have to expand my search (not normally a problem, but time is not in abundance these days). Unexpectedly, one store had something I would not normally have shopped at its retail price of 680$ CDN, but the floor demo, fully warrantied, was 70% off (so around 200$ plus tax). The winner? Sennheiser HD630VB. Unusually for Sennheiser, a closed-back HD6XX series, and with a quirky feature--variable bass tuning. The sonic characteristic is more detailed than what I'd become used to with the P5s, which are a very smooth 'phone with surprising bass for an on-ear design but, frankly, the HD630VBs are a category level above in overall balance. The VB tuning is a +/- 5dB (at each extreme) boost/attenuation at 50hz. Totally passive (no electronic eq), it's like having multiple headphones in one. I spent 5-6 hours last night (instead of reading--shh, don't tell my supervisor ) going through various genres of music--bluegrass, electronica, classic rock, prog rock, chamber music, orchestral, well-recorded, not so well-recorded, lossy, lossless... Having the variable bass tuning allows me to dial in a bit of boost on thinner recordings and dial back on "house techno", achieving a very pleasant balance. Mids and highs are excellent. I can see why this model might have trouble finding a following--purist audiophiles will balk at the variable bass tuning; those who value portability (it's got controls compatible with iPhones and Android devices) will find it too big and bulky, if not too "bling-y" (not subtle styling--mass of shiny aluminum); at full sticker price, there are other models with nicer sound (I tried the OPPO PM3, a direct competitor, and, at equal price, I'd have gone with the OPPO, I think--would need to double test--but the PM3 was not over twice as good). I've got lots of quirky stuff, though, so it fits with me AND, for the price I paid, I don't think anything I listened to (yesterday or in recent years) comes close.

Last point--for general headphone discussion, which forum would be best? A search for "headphone" called up threads from many different forum headings. Just wondering.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

For headphone discussion, head-fi.org would be your best bet.
                                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Ovation
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2004

I've spent time there (though not as a member) and have gotten some good insights. I was just wondering about here--is the Audio Hideout forum the best place to talk headphones? Or perhaps another sub-forum.

Anyway, spent about 7 hours yesterday (and currently up to another hour today) with my new 'phones. No regrets--amazing sound (especially at my purchase price).

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"