X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike42
    • Nov 2015

AVR upgrade advice request for 4x B&W 705 + HTM7 + PV1

Hi

After almost 10 years it is time of an AVR update. Currently I'm using a Denon 3805, still without HDMI...

I'm interested in the new Pioneer SC-LX79, but my main questions are.
    - What is your opinion on adding the extra power and is it enough
    - Any experience with tone, warmth and liveliness when running a Pioneer on the B&W system

Other AVR suggestions are very welcome!
  • Audio_ElF
    • Oct 2007

What's your music/movie split? What's your budget?

In order of preference I would put AV systems, particularly taking music capability into account in the following order of preference...
    (1) Arcam
    (1.5) Rotel pre and power (1.5 as close to Arcam)
    (3) Marantz
    (4) Some Sony
    (6) Yamaha and Denon

I have no experience with Onkyo or Pioneer. If music is of lesser interest I would move the Yamaha and Denon up the list perhaps even above Marantz. While there are some variation and exceptions I find this hierarchy works at whatever price level you are looking at. I'm sure some of this is down to reputation and expectation and I have never blind tested but these are my experiences.

Personally at the level of the LX79 I would try to get a listen to the Marantz SR7010 or if you can stretch (and wait a little) check out the new Arcam AVR550. Also see if you can fit a Rotel RSP1572 into your budget perhaps with second hand amplification.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Pioneer’s SC-79 may cost a pretty penny, but it’s worth every single one of them. This is one of the finest receivers Pioneer has ever produced, and it raises the bar for the rest of the industry.

I just read a review on this AVR and it was quite good. However, if you want a 'real' upgrade in overall performance I would look at the Rotel series of AVR's. I put the Pioneer's at the same level as the Yamaha's, Denon's etc. Rotel is a rather large step up in the audio and 'musicality' side of things and if you are looking for a real, noticeable difference in audio performance, this is your best bet. This Pioneer AVR is listed at $3K so you would be able to purchase Rotel's flagship AVR for close to that kind of coin. Rotel and B&W mate perfectly together (and is known as such) as well.

Rotel doesn't believe in auto EQ and room adaptation technology and I for one, agree with them. Rotel gear will require you to do all these measurements manually and as far as I'm concerned, this is the best way to go for optimum results.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wised
        • Nov 2015

I would veto a Rotel AVR. I tried one with my XT system and was sorely disappointed. Not enough amp to drive the system. At high levels, the fan would come on almost immediately and shortly thereafter it would enter protection. Try Denon. Better yet, forget an AVR and go with a dedicated amp and AV pre.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by wised
          I would veto a Rotel AVR. I tried one with my XT system and was sorely disappointed. Not enough amp to drive the system. At high levels, the fan would come on almost immediately and shortly thereafter it would enter protection. Try Denon. Better yet, forget an AVR and go with a dedicated amp and AV pre.
          That's the first time I've heard anyone say Rotel does not have enough 'Amp' !!?? My Rotel AVR eats my speakers (5.2 setup) for breakfast and then comes back for seconds !! Which unit did you have wised ??

Comment

• wised
            • Nov 2015

It was a 125 watt unit, I cant remember the model. At the time it was driving a 5.1 XT system: 2 XT4, 2 XT2 and the XT center channel. I replaced it in quick order by a 2x200 watt amp for the mains and a 5x200 for the surrounds which I upgraded to a 7.2 by adding 2 additional XT 2's and another PV1. The XT were known for being "difficult" to drive.
            I'm satisfied with the Rotel amps but if one of them ever takes a dive I'm replacing them with a seven channel Macintosh, there simply is no comparison. The seemingly endless tap of my new stereo Mac which barely gets warm driving my 805 full tilt for hours on end. More money, of course, but worth every penny. My Rotels for some mysterious reason also suffer from episodic hum, not from speakers, but from the units themselves when they are "idle". I think they don't like to be on top of each other even though they are on separate shelves.

Comment

• hockey_101
              • Oct 2015

Is there really that much sound difference between receivers if they are both set to the same setting with the same power?

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by hockey_101
                Is there really that much sound difference between receivers if they are both set to the same setting with the same power?
                In one word.........Yes.

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by madmac
                  In one word.........Yes.
                  You need more than one word ... yes yes yes and yes again!

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
                    You need more than one word ... yes yes yes and yes again!
                    Ok I digress.......YES YES YES and..........YES again !! There!

Comment

• tyreman
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Mike42
                      Hi

After almost 10 years it is time of an AVR update. Currently I'm using a Denon 3805, still without HDMI...

I'm interested in the new Pioneer SC-LX79, but my main questions are.
                      - What is your opinion on adding the extra power and is it enough
                      - Any experience with tone, warmth and liveliness when running a Pioneer on the B&W system

Other AVR suggestions are very welcome!
                      You got pretty good speakers there the '705's
                      Need some beef to drive em thou..they're 'round 89db. they don't drop to low impedance wise
                      I'd recommend a multi channel amp off the pre amp outs for now ........your current Denon 3805 receiver has pre outs
                      That'll get you up for now..Lots of good used stuff out there to

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"