X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mojo
    • Jan 2005

Rotel vs. Arcam?

Good afternoon,

I would like to introduce myself and say that i have been reading this forum for several months now and really enjoy the different viewpoints and the burning passion some people seem to have for their audio and video gear.

My question(s) to everyone who are kind enough to respond are the following?
    1) How do you rate the Rotel gear in terms of audio performance and build quality compared to Arcam gear?
    2) In terms of value, does Arcam hold it's value better over Rotel gear?
    3) More specifically, how would you rate Rotel's RSX 1056 receiver to Arcam's AVR 300 receiver?
    4) Finally, please rate Rotel's DVD player 1060 to the Arcam DVD 78?

As most of you, I am very interested in stepping up my gear from Pioneer Elite audio to either Rotel or Arcam. My dealer who sells Pioneer Elite, Rotel and Arcam tell me that the way to go is Arcam. I do not want to get into the habit of believing everything my dealer tells me.
  • Mojo
    • Jan 2005

Please help.......Need some feedback

Is anyone willing to help a new guy :Z answer the above questions about Rotel and Arcam?

Comment

• ht_addict
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Mojo
      Good afternoon,

I would like to introduce myself and say that i have been reading this forum for several months now and really enjoy the different viewpoints and the burning passion some people seem to have for their audio and video gear.

My question(s) to everyone who are kind enough to respond are the following?
      1) How do you rate the Rotel gear in terms of audio performance and build quality compared to Arcam gear?
      2) In terms of value, does Arcam hold it's value better over Rotel gear?
      3) More specifically, how would you rate Rotel's RSX 1056 receiver to Arcam's AVR 300 receiver?
      4) Finally, please rate Rotel's DVD player 1060 to the Arcam DVD 78?

As most of you, I am very interested in stepping up my gear from Pioneer Elite audio to either Rotel or Arcam. My dealer who sells Pioneer Elite, Rotel and Arcam tell me that the way to go is Arcam. I do not want to get into the habit of believing everything my dealer tells me.
      What gear are you looking at replacing in your current setup? What Elite equipment are you using right now? In my setup I have a 56TXi paired with a NAD S250 and the sound is awesome. I did also have the 56TXi paired with a Rotel RMB-1095 before I moved to the NAD. The sound with that combo was A1. Before you look at changing out your equipment you may want to look at new speakers if the one you use are nut up to par. What speakers do you use right now?

ht_addict

Comment

• shadow
        • Dec 2003

Well you can check Audiogon or ebay for resale prices. The 1067 is more of a comparable receiver to the Arcam. Only you can decide which sounds better.

Comment

• Mojo
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ht_addict
          What gear are you looking at replacing in your current setup? What Elite equipment are you using right now? In my setup I have a 56TXi paired with a NAD S250 and the sound is awesome. I did also have the 56TXi paired with a Rotel RMB-1095 before I moved to the NAD. The sound with that combo was A1. Before you look at changing out your equipment you may want to look at new speakers if the one you use are nut up to par. What speakers do you use right now?

ht_addict

ht_addict

My current gear consists of the old Pioneer Elite 35tx receiver and the new
          Arcam DVD player D78, B & W 602.3 speakers. I want to know if I am losing anything other than DVD-A from not buying the Rotel DVD 1060 instead of the Arcam D78. I went out an bought some DTS music as well as DVD-A music just to get a feel for what DTS sounds like. It sounds so much better than my other old cd's. I put in the DVD-A music just to see if it my receiver would decode the DVD-A music and it apparently did. However, I don't know for sure if it decoded it as a default surround sound or if it truely gave me true 5.1 sourround. Will I be better off taking back my Arcam D78 and getting the Rotel RDP 1060 since it truely has DVD-A capability? I do have to say that the Arcam DVD 78 has a clean, natural sound.

Feedback appreciated....................

Mojo

Comment

• DanR
            • Dec 2004

Let your ears be the judge. As with most high end equipment, one is not necessarily better than the other, just different sonically. Both are high quality, so go with what you feel sounds better. I chose Rotel over Bryston, B&K, Parasound and Sunfire when choosing my amp, but I wouldn't say it is better than the other amps, I simply like the way it sounded with my B&W N802's.
            :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• HappyCow
              • Nov 2004

This review might be of interest:

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

HappyCow,

Good review. One I hadn't seen before... Well worth a read.

They REALLY like the Rotel didn't they!

Geoff

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                  • May 2004

Hi Mojo,

I was just listening to a DVD-A on my RDV 1060 and thinking to myself, “This is an experience that no one should miss”. Then I saw your thread and felt compelled to reply.

I want to know if I am losing anything other than DVD-A from not buying the Rotel DVD 1060 instead of the Arcam D78.
                  Mojo
                  No, but... (see earlier)

I put in the DVD-A music just to see if it my receiver would decode the DVD-A music and it apparently did. However, I don't know for sure if it decoded it as a default surround sound or if it truely gave me true 5.1 sourround.
                  Mojo
                  When you were playing the DVD-A on your player, it picked up the DD5.1 track (not DVD-A). The only way to get DVD-A is via 6 analogue interconnects hooked directly to your system from a DVD-A capable deck.

[Aside: There's lots of uncertainty over the future of DVD-A, SACD, and the availability of titles. I found that SACD sounds mediocer until played on an ultra expensive deck. So, I chose the RDV-1060 for the quality of its DVD-A, with the hope that my support and purchasing of DVD-A’s I will help to drive the industry toward DVD-A, which will result in a greater selection of titles.]

Here is a link to Rotel’s European website and a review of the RDV-1060 vs. Arcam (and others).

Caveat:
                  There are some minor issues with the compatibility of some DVD-A discs menu systems with the RDV 1060. (Some menu functions cannot be performed with some discs). I did have one Brand of DVD-A that was unplayable, but Rotel has fixed that up for me. I have been led to believe they are working to fix up the few other problems. These things are small potatoes to me. The sonic advantages of this deck are HUGE!

Cracking!

Comment

• Ash
                    • Dec 2004

Mojo,

Regarding the Arcam DVD. It was designed without the DVD-A and SACD capabilities in order to maximise on the quality of CD playback, as Aracam believed that the DVD-S and SACD will comprimise that intent. Therefore, If you are looking for a DVD player that would also work great as a CD player then you should stay with the Arcam. Arcam believes that the CD play back of DVD78 matches the capabilities of its CD-73T CD player, which I read good reviews about.

However, if your intentions is to get into the DVD-A and SACD then you should consider the Rotel option.

This is a review of the Arcam AVR300 (incase you didn't read it)

This is a review of the Arcam DVD78

Im considering to buy this combination as they are cheaper than the Rotels, and the review (from a magasine that I read and trust) suggests that both are very musical components. The DVD will save me the purchase of a seperate CD player, and the receiver seems to be one of the best in terms of musicality (in this price range). Think hard.

Comment

• Mojo
                      • Jan 2005

Ash,

Thanks to all for your feedback. Yes i have decided to stay with my orginal purchase because I am more intent on getting the best of the CD playback from the Arcam and still get great video playback as well. I belive in the long run that my decision to go with the better Arcam will be for the best.

Mojo

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                        • Aug 2004

Here's a good review on the Rotel RDV 1060.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"