Might buy a used set of 703 speakers. Anything to lookout for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oofie
    • Oct 2015

Might buy a used set of 703 speakers. Anything to lookout for?

Hi guys,

I'm new here and wanted to hear your knowledge / experience with B&W speakers.

I might purchase a used set of 703 speakers, and while I know they have been around since 2004 (?), is there anything that I should look out for? Will they still sound good 10 years from now?

The speakers from the ad looked good, and the owner mentioned that the tweeters have some dents. I know I can purchase new tweeter domes, so I might just replace them down the road. Serial numbers are in the 44XX range and are consecutive numbers.

Also, and I'm not sure if it's fine with the forum rules, but is $1450 a fair price for a used set of Rosewood 703's?

Thanks and look forward to being a part of this community.

-Ron
  • Mark_89
    • Nov 2014

Just recently purchased a pair of rosenut 703s myself. Absolutely wonderful speakers but you need to give them a good amplifier. I drive mine with a Rotel 1095 and the detail and clarity is amazing. And I personally think the rosenut versions are the prettiest of the bunch (still anxiously looking for a matching center and surrounds in that color).
    Things to look out for are torn rubbers on the bass drivers and torn surrounds on the fst mid. And make sure to listen to them for about 10 mins and see if every driver is working and not rattling. Apart from that not a whole lot can go wrong.
    I bought mine in very good condition (drivers 100%, a few very small scratches on the sides) for €1100,- which is a tad high in Europe (normally they go for €1050,-) but I don't know what the normal market value for other countries is.
    Replacing the tweeters is relatively straightforward (4 screws and you can detach the tweeter pod) and does not cost enormous amounts of money.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"