X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave-in-AZ
    • Aug 2015

New 800 Diamonds - Thinking of going NAD

Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a pair of B&W 800D speakers. I am thrilled to have them and, for my ears, I'm not sure a pair of speakers can sound much better in a home setting for less than many times what I paid for the 800D. That, of course, is highly debatable, so please note I said for, "my ears," which are admittedly victims of a misspent youth listening to very loud music under the influence of very powerful drugs. :W

I am not into vinyl, rather, I am an avid collector of high quality digital. My collection is stored as 24/96 or 16/44 FLAC. I've set up a script using Foobar2000 that will automatically convert any new FLACs detected on the FLAC drive into an 320 kbps MP3 mirror drive for devices that, amazingly, won't play FLAC files (I'm looking at you Audi with B&O stereo upgrade :M).

For playback on my current system, I use HDMI directly connected to a HTPC. The HTPC connects to my home network, including a Synology NAS. As you might guess, my current main system is a HT setup. The new system will be 2 channel (well, 2.1) for music only.

Given my digital workflow, I'm really attracted to the NAD Masters Series M12 pre and M22 amp. As it is well known how hungry the 800D speakers are, I'm thinking of Passively Bi-amping using two M22 amps.

The cost of this amp setup gets me within range (not equal but what's another 5k at this point?) of some used Krell and other higher-fi hardware.

What does this group think of this plan/NAD/etc.?

Note that the reference to 2.1...I'll likely get a non-B&W sub which will be powered down most of the time. However, nothing is quite as fun as a big ol' "THUMP" for parties (Beastie Boys/Industrial/etc.).

Thanks,

Dave-in-AZ
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Or bridge them for even more power!:W
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• TomScrut
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Nov 2013

If you don't want any other inputs to your system, there are plenty of very good DACs in that price range which have a volume control. This may be a better option than the M12, I havent heard it but there are a lot of DACs out there that are worth trying. Chord Hugo TT, Antelope Zodiac Platinum and Exasound e22 spring to mind. The Antelope has analogue inputs and volume control if these are desired, the other two have digital volume IIRC.

As for the amp, I aren't sure you would be doing the 800s justice with the M22 from a power perspective. I have been told that I aren't doing my 802s justice with my Classe CA-2300 and that I ought to go to the CA-M600s to give them the power they need, and the CA-2300 is at least of as good a pedigree as the M22 and is more powerful into lower impedances. And you have 800s. But I am also very happy with how my Classe drives my 802s so YMMV. Its just a case of very good/better! I also haven't heard the NAD so cannot fairly comment on its performance apart from the power ratings.

What is your budget?
      Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

Also I would suspect your money is far better off spent on either a better stereo amp or monos rather than passive bi amping. Not trying to say passive bi amping is a waste of time, I just find that the extra money is better spent on better amps rather than doubling up. As an example, I went from powering my 802s bi amped with a CA-5200 to single amping with a CA-2300 and it is loads better. But single amping with the CA-5200 was not as good as bi amping, but as I had the channels spare I used them. If I had had a CA-2200 instead, I think I would have been disappointed in the improvement if I had bought another to bi amp rather than sell it and buy a 2300 or monoblocks.
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• SoundEngine355
          • Feb 2008

Classe, McIntosh, Audio Research and Accuphase would be on my list way before NAD.
          SoundEngine355

-------------------
          [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• Freddie40
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
            Classe, McIntosh, Audio Research and Accuphase would be on my list way before NAD.
            Add Bryston to your list

Dave
            Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• BWLover
              • Jan 2009

Rotel RB-1090 or RB-1590? Probably below your level of quality but I figured I'd mention it.

Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
              Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
              Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
              Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
              Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
              Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
              Primacoustic Room Treatments
              Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
              Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
              Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
              Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
              Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
              Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
              Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
              Playstation 3
              Shaw HD PVR
              Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Freddie40
                Add Bryston to your list

Dave
                Very true!!
                SoundEngine355

-------------------
                [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I had Bryston 7B monos on my 802s years back. Great products. I researched NAD this year, I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on gear made in China..
                  B&W

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Freddie40
                    Add Bryston to your list
                    And Chord. And Musical Fidelity too.

NAD would (IMO) rank along side Rotel ... though interestingly B&W used a RC1590 and a pair of RB1590 power amps at the launch of the new 800 D3 series.

Comment

• ice cube
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
                      And Chord. And Musical Fidelity too.

NAD would (IMO) rank along side Rotel ... though interestingly B&W used a RC1590 and a pair of RB1590 power amps at the launch of the new 800 D3 series.

Thanks for your input
                      Really I need amp for my 803D d2,but i am between 3 amps (Ati 6002, RB1590 and Classe CA-2300 > but it is very expensive)
                      Currently I have ATI 1803
                      Marantz 8802a

Any ideas

Comment

• wkhanna
                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

you have not specified a budget, however, i like the Odyssey line for for its quickness, clarity, neutral presentation & value.

i have heard all the products, i have close friends who own Odyssey & spend a lot of time after-hours with the company owner, Klauss every year at the CapitalAudiofest.

we have run my friend Dan's (PewterTA) 802di's using various versions of both the Stratos & Khartago with V satisfying results.

one thing we all agree on is that the advertised power rating on any of the amps is quite deceiving as they perform with surprising dynamics, headroom & authority while exhibiting V good control of the low end with no adding of muddy texturing provided the source is of the same nature.

jmho ymmv
                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2006

Re: M22 and B&W, see March Stereophile.
                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"