X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

NAD M22 vs Benchmark AHB2: Fight!

Ok, don't get too excited, this is just a warm up post; hope to post my own measurements and more feedback in a week or two- but I was spurred to bring this up because of the NAD M22 review out in my shiny new March issue of Stereophile.

If you're interested in the distortion specs, go grab a copy, or wait until they post it online or when I get my own measurements done. It's not as good as I hoped or expected, in that the noise floor and hence the distortion floor are higher than some other Hypex based designs. By that, I mean about 0.03% distortion at 1W, dropping to an minimum at 20W of about 0.005. Hey, this isn't shabby, and most likely it reflects the choices they made in their front end. I don't personally know what the NC400/500 OEM is capable of intrinsically, YET, but I probably will soon due to some special projects and my own APx555 sitting in the mancave. (Yeah, I went a little nutto and have been on a test equipment binge instead of doing the sensible thing and buying a Berkeley Audio Alpha Reference DAC).

A few INTERESTING quotes from the article- may be more about reviewing the reviewer than the component?

He compared it to several amplifiers, in listening tests, including the Benchmark AHB2. He thought the NAD had a bit less sound stage depth than the Parasound Halo 31 or Mac MC303, but was just as solid handling the spectrum showing ease with complex material. OTOH,

"The Benchmark AHB2 set itself apart from the other three amps with it's copious soundstage depth and a slightly more distant presentation, but while I felt an abiding sense of it's accuracy and neutrality, it failed to be as lively or exciting as the NAD".
    Let's face it folks people like distortion, or at least the right kind of distortion. :W Also, the Benchmark has a much lower gain structure, in part to get the high S/N ratio, and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have the volume accurately matched. Louder normally means more exciting.

They also pointed out how easy it is to convert the M22 to a mono block, using an XLR Y adapter on the input, and connecting outputs across the two hots.

Overall they like the M22 a lot, calling it an outstanding amplifier in every way.

There will be follow up and some local tests to come for comparison.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Looking forward to this :-)
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by TEK
      Looking forward to this :-)
      Me. too.
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

BTW, I've owned an M22 since shortly after they came out, but have had a pair of AHB2's at home since November 2015. Have listened to them in both bridged mono and individual stereo setups.

Both amplifiers give great value, (in somewhat different ways) but they do have different presentations. I understand the concept of system synergy, that some variations in presentation may be more favored with other components, but I also think there are some reasonable objective measures that cannot be ignored or underestimated.

Just got more of the test cables on order for the APx555 in yesterday; a few more things yet to show up, but it's getting close!
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          Both amplifiers give great value, (in somewhat different ways) but they do have different presentations. I understand the concept of system synergy, that some variations in presentation may be more favored with other components, but I also think there are some reasonable objective measures that cannot be ignored or underestimated.
          I am looking forward to what you discover. BTW, I hope that you did not take the quoted statement
          "The Benchmark AHB2 set itself apart from the other three amps with it's copious soundstage depth and a slightly more distant presentation, but while I felt an abiding sense of it's accuracy and neutrality, it failed to be as lively or exciting as the NAD".
          to mean that I was expressing a preference for the NAD.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

No, I mostly figured this was simply you describing how you react to each of them, based on what you hear and how you react emotionally to the music given the presentation differences.

I should confess that I am a fan of high performance CLASS D, in a certain sense, having experience both with DIY and OEM Hypex gear, and listening experience with a lot of others. (as well, designing my own modulator and amplifier systems). Also, the company i work for acquired International Rectifier, and I am working with the technical marketing manager of the Class D team to develop a high performance power supply for some of their high end reference designs, including GaN transistor versions.

So, I probably have too many irons in the fire to describe myself as particularly objective, but I have been very impressed with the performance of the AHB2, and in their price class, tend to consider them something of a reference at this point.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"