Need a center channel to match the PM1's?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICEMAN70
    • Apr 2006

Hi guy's

Just sold my Paradigm Signature S6's to down size our audio equipment. I wanted something small with good sound quality. After listening to the B&W PM1's I was blown away how good these thing sounded and looked. So bought them on the spot with matching stands but no center.

Was wondering what would be a good center channel for these speakers? It looks like B&W doesn't make center for the PM1's so I like to match something close as posible to the sound quality of the PM1's but yet not over power these small speakers.

I am using my old reliable Rotel RSP 1095 amp to run them with paradigm Sub1.

Any suggestions would be great..
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

The most obvious choice in terms of voicing and ability is probably the CMC. But a HTM4 would probably suit it a bit better in terms of appearance, but a diamond might not suit it sound wise. Depending on the colour of the PM1s and your willingness to look at second hand, a black HTM4S could be the best choice, although the finish might not be a very good match.

I think its a shame they didn't bring out a whole range of PM speakers instead of doing the CM10, but hey-ho.
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• ICEMAN70
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by TomScrut
      The most obvious choice in terms of voicing and ability is probably the CMC. But a HTM4 would probably suit it a bit better in terms of appearance, but a diamond might not suit it sound wise. Depending on the colour of the PM1s and your willingness to look at second hand, a black HTM4S could be the best choice, although the finish might not be a very good match.

I think its a shame they didn't bring out a whole range of PM speakers instead of doing the CM10, but hey-ho.
      I agree... It is a shame just to bring out pair of these speakers and not a whole range, but what do you do. And your right, if I go diamond then it is not going to match the sound of the PM's and with the HTM4s only black might match but still not the same finish..

I am going to ask my dealer to order me just an single PM1 from B&W and use that as a center. I think this would be the best choice at the moment. Hope they can get me just a single speaker? That way I will have the sound and color finish to match the speakers...

Cheers,

Comment

• TimbaLand
        • Aug 2013

Get 1 PM1 and use it as a centre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by TimbaLand
          +1. Best choice.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Regardless of brand, three identical speakers up front is the best option in almost every circumstance from a sonic point of view. It's not always practical from a space point of view (would not work in my living room) but if it is at all doable, three identical (ideally 5-7 identical) speakers is the best choice.

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

+1. Absolute way to go, imho.

If it's of any help, I have 3 x 802D's doing front duty. I'll not have it any other way.
              Attached Files

Comment

• ICEMAN70
                • Apr 2006

Wow...Nice set up Shadow..

I talked to my dealer about getting another PM1.. Even they thought it was a good idea to go this way. They are going to talk with the B&W rep. to see if they can send me just one PM1.. wait and see what happens. I will let you guy know..

Cheers,

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Thank you, Iceman.

The reason that another PM1 would do so well doing center duty is that its vertical driver orientation would avoid sound wave interferences caused by other usual center speaker driver horizontal arrays. Your result should be an untainted and seamless front end soundstage.

I hope that it works out for you. Please keep us posted.

Comment

• TomScrut
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Nov 2013

I had considered suggesting a PM1 in my first post but I didn't think they could be bought on their own, its a shame they don't normally sell individual speakers, I have seen quite a few instances on eBay etc where some poor person has had to buy a pair and then sell one off for next to nothing.....

At least they are priced as pairs over in the UK, you guys in the States have them priced individually but have to buy as pairs don't you?

@ShadowZA: Did you have to buy another pair of 802s to get three across the front? Surely a HTM1D would have done a better job so you didn't have to have the TV so high? At least the HTM1 isn't horizontally orientated like most centres! I suppose you would have to find somewhere else to put the amp and sub though!
                    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• ShadowZA
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

@ShadowZA: Did you have to buy another pair of 802s to get three across the front? Surely a HTM1D would have done a better job so you didn't have to have the TV so high? At least the HTM1 isn't horizontally orientated like most centres! I suppose you would have to find somewhere else to put the amp and sub though!
                      Tom, I was fortunate in that my dealer was able to source a single 802D from B&W. This was just before the second generation diamond range was released so this could be the reason. I don't know. I did consider an HTM1D but wanted to get as close as possible to a perfect soundstage. I watch mainly music concert blu-rays when not listening to 2-channel CD music, so I preferred to have tweeters and midrange drivers at same height and vertically angled in addition to being vertically aligned. I also needed to have the sub placed where it is. Of course, there are always compromises. One needs to work out which compromises one is willing to live with. The height of the TV is one that I've chosen to live with.

Comment

• TomScrut
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Nov 2013

I agree with your choice if it's just concerts etc you mostly view. I suppose the best money/space no object idea would be to have an acoustically transparent screen in front of the middle speaker like in the diamond room!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

I agree with your choice if it's just concerts etc you mostly view. I suppose the best money/space no object idea would be to have an acoustically transparent screen in front of the middle speaker like in the diamond room!
                          I have one word to say about the diamond room: DROOL!

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                            Tom, I was fortunate in that my dealer was able to source a single 802D from B&W. This was just before the second generation diamond range was released so this could be the reason. I don't know. I did consider an HTM1D but wanted to get as close as possible to a perfect soundstage. I watch mainly music concert blu-rays when not listening to 2-channel CD music, so I preferred to have tweeters and midrange drivers at same height and vertically angled in addition to being vertically aligned. I also needed to have the sub placed where it is. Of course, there are always compromises. One needs to work out which compromises one is willing to live with. The height of the TV is one that I've chosen to live with.
                            From an audio standpoint and the fact that you listen to a lot of concert videos, you have hit perfection sonically with you setup. Three identical speakers across the front!!!. PERFECTION !!!.

Curious though.......what do you have in the back??
                            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• ShadowZA
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                              From an audio standpoint and the fact that you listen to a lot of concert videos, you have hit perfection sonically with you setup. Three identical speakers across the front!!!. PERFECTION !!!.

Curious though.......what do you have in the back??
                              Thank you, madmac!

I have 2 x 803D's (first generation diamonds) doing surround duty. It a 5.1 setup.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ICEMAN70
                                ... I talked to my dealer about getting another PM1.. Even they thought it was a good idea to go this way. They are going to talk with the B&W rep. to see if they can send me just one PM1.. wait and see what happens. I will let you guy know..

Cheers,
                                At some point in the future, when the kids are out of the house, my wife and I might look to move into an apartment for an easier lifestyle. I'll then need to change my setup somewhat and would be keen to move toward a front end that resembles 3 x 805D or 3 x PM1. The plan would be to keep bass to a minimum so as to not disturb the neighbors. Iceman, if your front end setup of 3 x PM1 works out, I'd be keen to know your impression once your system has had some time to settle in.

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by shadowza
                                  thank you, madmac!

I have 2 x 803d's (first generation diamonds) doing surround duty. It a 5.1 setup.

sweet !!!
                                  Dan Madden :T

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                    • Aug 2013

At some point in the future, when the kids are out of the house, my wife and I might look to move into an apartment for an easier lifestyle. I'll then need to change my setup somewhat and would be keen to move toward a front end that resembles 3 x 805D or 3 x PM1. The plan would be to keep bass to a minimum so as to not disturb the neighbors. Iceman, if your front end setup of 3 x PM1 works out, I'd be keen to know your impression once your system has had some time to settle in.
                                    When you decide to do that which I hope will be soon, I am happy to relieve you of your 802s. I'm 30km away from you so I can pick up In 15 minutes.

I envy your setup. I will love to go 7.x one day. My dream setup is to move my 804di to the sides and my &05di to the rear with an introduction of 802di in the front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

When you decide to do that which I hope will be soon, I am happy to relieve you of your 802s. I'm 30km away from you so I can pick up In 15 minutes.
                                      Will keep you in mind, TimbaLand.

I envy your setup. I will love to go 7.x one day. My dream setup is to move my 804di to the sides and my &05di to the rear with an introduction of 802di in the front
                                      I'm sure that, like me, you find that once you've tasted the sweet sound of the diamond tweeter... there's no going back. A good idea might be to keep in close touch with local B&W suppliers (like Paul at Sound & Cinema in Cavendish). Now and then second hand stuff becomes available without being advertised online or in our local mag, That's how I sold my HTM2D a few years ago. Best of luck with your dream plan.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
                                        • Apr 2006

Hey Shadow,

The PM1's are a great speaker, I think you would love them. Overall, I'm truly satisfied with the PM1s. They sound fantastic with everything I play through them, music, movies. Bass is more than adequate for my med. size room. My sub helps the very bottom, but mid bass has easily enough weight without one.

I did audition the 805d's and found them very aggressive, the PM1 have a very sweet warmth that makes it easy to listen to them for long periods. They're detailed, but not in-your-face detailed, if you know what I mean.

Still waiting to hear back from my dealer on purchasing just the one PM speaker. No word yet.

Cheers,

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ICEMAN70
                                          Hey Shadow,

The PM1's are a great speaker, I think you would love them. Overall, I'm truly satisfied with the PM1s. They sound fantastic with everything I play through them, music, movies. Bass is more than adequate for my med. size room. My sub helps the very bottom, but mid bass has easily enough weight without one.

I did audition the 805d's and found them very aggressive, the PM1 have a very sweet warmth that makes it easy to listen to them for long periods. They're detailed, but not in-your-face detailed, if you know what I mean.

Still waiting to hear back from my dealer on purchasing just the one PM speaker. No word yet.

Cheers,
                                          Thanks for the feedback, Iceman! I seem to have found a similar sweet spot with the first generation diamonds. They are laid back and warm but the detail is very much there. Unfortunately the diamond technology is very expensive and I think that the latest carbon braced technology used in the PM1 has saved the day.
                                          Holding thumbs that your dealer gets back with some good news.
                                          Cheers

Comment

• yummyyumi
                                            • Aug 2014

So did you get your centre pm1 iceman?

Comment

• yummyyumi
                                              • Aug 2014

What sub would you recommend too?

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"