X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangus
    • Oct 2011

Center for PM1

Hi all - I just listened to a pair of PM1s and ordered them right up. True, they were powered by a big McIntosh when I listened and won't sound nearly as good with my Denon 3212, but I think they should do fine in a Manhattan apartment.

I'm using M1s for rear (don't need much), a Velodyne HGS10 sub and need to figure out which center will match best.

Should I search for a used HTM-4 or follow the dealer's advice and go with the CMC-2 (seems not quite right)?

Please let me know your opinions and suggestions.

Many thanks,

Angus
  • mangus
    • Oct 2011

Quick update -- My own research leads me to think I would be best served with an older HTM2 center. I think this uses an older nautilus tweeter but should be a better match than either the newer HTM Diamond or the CMC.

Opinions please. :-)

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Best would be another PM1.
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
        Best would be another PM1.
        +1

The PM1 is so far only a stereo speaker, so a match will be nearly impossible..

Have you tried no center (phantom center). You might find this works nicely..

I have been thinking of simplifying my system to stereo only.. Of course this would mean an upgrade to 802Di... :W
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• KRC
          • Aug 2004

Is there any word that B&W is going to further this line? I would suppose that if they did, it would look like a revamped 700 series. It would be nice if they would make a dedicated centre to match the PM1 in a L/R configuration, as noted above, they are sold in pairs so how do you go about getting a single for the centre application unless you split with a friend or the dealer had a demo sale as one of the pair arrived damaged/destroyed, but that is a one of situation. For me I would move up to a CMC2 or 800 series.

kevin

Comment

• Chucka
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by KRC
            Is there any word that B&W is going to further this line? I would suppose that if they did, it would look like a revamped 700 series. It would be nice if they would make a dedicated centre to match the PM1 in a L/R configuration, as noted above, they are sold in pairs so how do you go about getting a single for the centre application unless you split with a friend or the dealer had a demo sale as one of the pair arrived damaged/destroyed, but that is a one of situation. For me I would move up to a CMC2 or 800 series.

kevin
            Lets hope we see B&W expanding this line at CES.

Comment

• KRC
              • Aug 2004

I agree with Chuka, I do not have a business degree or any formal training in putting together a business plan or production schedules or any thing else like that, but as a layman I find it interesting and astonishing that B&W who for years have been designing speakers in lines to cover price points, from the entry level right up to the 800D, would bring out a single speaker basically where the 700's sat. Looks wise, it is a part clone of the 705 and the 805, mixing and matching the good from each line. There might be a future to this product or line, could it be that B&W is using this speaker to test the market before bringing out the whole line? I still feel, and this is from not even hearing it yet but from what is going around the web, you would need to move up the centre to get the biggest bang for the buck, unless of course, B&W is about to launch a matching centre.

Kevin

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

I have seen the PM1 in person and I don't at all find it like the 705 or 805.

I can see this speaker being fantastic for someone who wants a dedicated stereo setup, does not have a lot of space but still wants a hi-end speaker..
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"