X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sskim
    • Sep 2007

Center Speaker Question; HTM4S or 805S?

I'm in need of a center speaker to match 805S. Question is what is the best match for 805S? Is there a noticeable difference between HTM4S and HTM2? Since I'm on tight budget does anyone see problem matching HTM2 with 805S? I also read that having three identical speakers for front L/C/R is the best way to go. Is another 805S better match as a center than HTM4S? How about N805 as a center? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

I'll make it easy for you.

805S > HTM4S > HTM2

I would get the HTM4S. It's essentially an 805S, and i highly doubt you will notice a difference between it and an 805S for center duty.

Comment

• scanido
      • Apr 2006

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

Oops, browser was acting up!! :lol:

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

"805S > HTM4S" is not true. 805S = HTM4S. It's the same design, but horizontal. Don't get an HTM2 if you have a pair of 805S though. Different sound, different crossover, different speakers.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• scanido
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
            "805S > HTM4S" is not true. 805S = HTM4S. It's the same design, but horizontal. Don't get an HTM2 if you have a pair of 805S though. Different sound, different crossover, different speakers.
            In an ideal world that is what B&W wants us to believe, but if the OP wants to get the absolute 100% match for a center than it is an 805S. The driver, tweeter and crossover of the two are the same but the cabinet is different which would have a slight difference to the SQ. Again, a negligible difference and i doubt he would hear a difference!

Comment

• sskim
              • Sep 2007

Would HTM3S be too much with 805S? Would it be a good sonic match to 805S?
              Thanks again in advance.

Comment

• texasbwfan
                • Sep 2005

Speaking from experience, the htm3s will over power your 805's for HT. I know as I have this set up. I bought my htm3s knowing that I would one day upgrade to 803s for front duty. I will be pulling the trigger on the 803's in the next month or so and can't wait to hear what a matching front stage will sound like. Good luck on your search. My advice would be to go with the htm4s if you're not planning on upgrading to 804's or 803's in the near future.
                texasbwfan

Comment

• sskim
                  • Sep 2007

I've read center is the most important channel in a HT setup so isn't that a good thing?

Comment

• texasbwfan
                    • Sep 2005

It's a very good thing but you don't get the completely matching front stage as the 805s are not towers. The htm3 is essentially a tower speaker on its side.
                    texasbwfan

Comment

• Ken49r
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by sskim
                      I'm in need of a center speaker to match 805S. Question is what is the best match for 805S? Is there a noticeable difference between HTM4S and HTM2? Since I'm on tight budget does anyone see problem matching HTM2 with 805S? I also read that having three identical speakers for front L/C/R is the best way to go. Is another 805S better match as a center than HTM4S? How about N805 as a center? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have 805S and HTM4 across the front. I set my Pre-Pro to Full Mono and would travel back and forth at tweeter height. The sound to my ears is exactly the same. You will have better luck finding a single HTM4 vs a single 805S anyways.

The HTM2 may look like the HTM4 but thats where the similarity stops. It's the older version of the 800S series you currently have. Not a recommended match. Especially the importance the center channel role has in the system. Rear speakers can be compromised if need be. Again not recommended though.

The HTM3 that you have later questioned as a center is a 3 way with an FST mid driver to run center duties for the 804S & 803S. The HTM4 is a matching 2 way of the 805S's. Pair that with the SCMS for surround duties and you have basically a full 5.0 compliment of 805's. For being on a tight budget as you mentioned IMO that would be money well spent.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"