B&W CM10 with Nad C370 & C270 bridged good choice?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Win1
    • Feb 2014

B&W CM10 with Nad C370 & C270 bridged good choice?

Hi all,

I have a pair of B&W CM10's running off a Nad C370 pre/power amp & a Nad C270 power amp both bridged rated 300Wrms each. The power amp section on both units is identical, the C370 just adds a pre amp.

My room is 32ft by 15ft.

I am pleased with the sound but just curious on other forum members views regarding amplifier choice.

I listen to a wide range of Rock, Soul, R&B, Jazz, Dance, Reggae

A few questions I'd like an opinion on:

Would you say there is a fair bit more potential to be had out of the CM10's with a higher level of amp?

How would you describe the sound & charactar of Nad amplifiers good & bad points?

Would you say there is an upgrade level before reaching the Classe , Bryston, Krell level?

Also just curious I audtioned MA GX300 and Focal 836V before going for the CM10's

I would be interested to hear the views of others regarding the MA and Focal speakers in comparison to the CM10's and B&W range in general ?

Lastly how would memebrs sum up the sound of B&W speakers in a sentence or two?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Win
  • Win1
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Win1
    Hi all,

I have a pair of B&W CM10's running off a Nad C370 pre/power amp & a Nad C270 power amp both bridged rated 300Wrms each. The power amp section on both units is identical, the C370 just adds a pre amp.

My room is 32ft by 15ft.

I am pleased with the sound but just curious on other forum members views regarding amplifier choice.

I listen to a wide range of Rock, Soul, R&B, Jazz, Dance, Reggae

A few questions I'd like an opinion on:

Would you say there is a fair bit more potential to be had out of the CM10's with a higher level of amp?

How would you describe the sound & charactar of Nad amplifiers good & bad points?

Would you say there is an upgrade level before reaching the Classe , Bryston, Krell level?

Also just curious I audtioned MA GX300 and Focal 836V before going for the CM10's

I would be interested to hear the views of others regarding the MA and Focal speakers in comparison to the CM10's and B&W range in general ?

Lastly how would memebrs sum up the sound of B&W speakers in a sentence or two?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Win
    Hi all,

I am on this forum to learn an improve my audio system and knowledge.

Any opinions welcome good or bad?

Thanks in advance

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I would think that yes, there's obvious upgrade paths that you can take.... the NAD amps are good... there's nothing wrong with them in all honesty. Is there better out there, yep sure is. How much are you willing to spend and what kind of sound are you looking for. That's more what you need to decide.

If you really like the NAD sound (which is pretty neutral with maybe a slight bump in the mids), then I'd recommending looking towards the Master Series, that will be a HUGE step up in my opinion.

Then you're on the level with Classe, Bryston and Krell. One thing you have to realize is all three (well 4 including NAD) have different sound signatures to them. NAD and Classe are more similar than Bryston and Krell....

So there's really the factor of what kind of sound do you think you have now... and what are you not satisfied with...and what parts do you like. Once we know that... we can help focus your attention towards any of the directions you want to go.

Basically MA and Focal are a little bit "less neutral" of "flat" than compared to B&W.... and B&W tends to be a little more "forward" of a sound than the other two.

Really all those speakers are very much in the same range. It's really like deciding on that you like Belgium beers.... but there's a bunch to choose from...but people tend to have their favorites (groups of people) ie Chimay, Orval, Stella, Leffe, etc... So you're really drinking the same type of beers, but it's just what's your preferences are.

From everything I've heard (which I haven't heard them *yet*) the CM10 is one amazing speaker for the price range it sits in.

I also think NAD goes very well with B&W... does maybe something like Rotel or Classe go a little better... maybe... but there's also a lot of people that like McIntosh with B&W, I do not, but that's just my personal preference as it's too warm of a sound and I feel a lack of detail in the music. But others might love that sound.

So with the wide selection of music I think you're better off trying to stay as close to Neutral as possible with your equipment...
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Mikael
        • Aug 2007

Hi
        You have to know if you brigde your amps you will get more power but loose ability to drive heavy loads speakers like B&W.

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

1)The CM10's absolutely would benefit from higher end electronics.
          2) NAD amps and preamps in general are very flat and solid. They replay what they get. I wouldn't cal them bright or dark. They are punchy with excellent dynamic. Also have very solid speaker control in Dampening. For the money I find NAD to be one of the best values in our industry. Mated with B&W speakers is a absolute dream, they go together very well.
          If I where to stick with NAD with your speakers , I would check out the M line as stated above , big step up and competes with the big boys.
          3) Rotel and NAD fall below those lines which I think will be all you need for the level of speakers you purchased. I don't think you need Bryston but everyone could use some Bryston in their life. Once you go Bryston , you pretty much never ever need anything more no matter what you buy. I have been floored by Bryston amps running anything and everything.
          4) Speakers are very personal IMO MA and Focal have a unique sound all to their own. Focal has a clear and powerful sound depending on what you drive them with and what level you go with. The 836's are a very nice speaker but not one of my favorites. I prefer so many others over them but wouldn't kick them out of my house if they came here for a visit.
          5) B&W to me is like a reference standard which all others should be judged by. I find B&W speakers to be neutral clear dynamic and true to the sound. Depending on the model you just get more and more of this. B&W are not for people who like colored music. They don't add much at all to the sound , they do their job and replay it. It's one thing I adore about all B&W speakers. Serious music fans gravitate to B&W because they get to experience the music as it should be.

Comment

• Win1
            • Feb 2014

Hi all, thanks for taking time out to post the detailed replies. I am new to this level of Hi Fi but enjoying the learning curve and sharing views with fellow music lovers.
            Since my original post I have had demo's on these amplifiers Bryston 4BSST, Classe C2300, Musical Fidelity M8 500watt per channel unit.
            I have read some positive reviews about Parasound Halo amplifiers being pure Class A for the first 10-20 watts and sounding really nice. Anybody heard any Parasound Halo Amolifiers?
            So far I liked the amps in this order Classe, Musical Fidelity, Bryston. I must say I would like to hear them all again before making any decisions.
            Your replies regarding the speakers MA, Focal, B&W have underlined what I thought when I had demo's of the 3 brands.

Comment

• Win1
              • Feb 2014

Just to add I love the sound of B&W speakers I think the whole range sounds fabulous for each price point.

Comment

• LED14
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Win1
                Hi all, thanks for taking time out to post the detailed replies. I am new to this level of Hi Fi but enjoying the learning curve and sharing views with fellow music lovers.
                Since my original post I have had demo's on these amplifiers Bryston 4BSST, Classe C2300, Musical Fidelity M8 500watt per channel unit.
                I have read some positive reviews about Parasound Halo amplifiers being pure Class A for the first 10-20 watts and sounding really nice. Anybody heard any Parasound Halo Amolifiers?
                So far I liked the amps in this order Classe, Musical Fidelity, Bryston. I must say I would like to hear them all again before making any decisions.
                Your replies regarding the speakers MA, Focal, B&W have underlined what I thought when I had demo's of the 3 brands.
                I heard the Parasound power amp (A21?) with the CM10s and thought it was very very good, almost as good as my Classe Cap2100 with the CM10s...

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Hi Win,

A more expensive amplifier will generally provide you with superior quality in terms of its engineering. It will usually have higher quality components, be built to a higher standard using superior materials and will probably have better performance specifications on paper.

A more expensive amplifier will not necessarily provide you with superior quality in terms of its sound. Sound is a personal choice and everyone is different. In a blind test you may find that you actually prefer the sound of a cheaper amplifier.

The difference in sound between various brands of speakers is much greater than the difference in sound between various brands of amplifiers. An untrained ear may even have difficulty identifying different amplifiers in a blind test. This is far less likely with speakers.

If selecting a new system from scratch the sensible buyer will start with the speakers they like best and then buy the other components to suit those speakers.

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
                    Hi Win,

A more expensive amplifier will generally provide you with superior quality in terms of its engineering. It will usually have higher quality components, be built to a higher standard using superior materials and will probably have better performance specifications on paper.

A more expensive amplifier will not necessarily provide you with superior quality in terms of its sound. Sound is a personal choice and everyone is different. In a blind test you may find that you actually prefer the sound of a cheaper amplifier.

The difference in sound between various brands of speakers is much greater than the difference in sound between various brands of amplifiers. An untrained ear may even have difficulty identifying different amplifiers in a blind test. This is far less likely with speakers.

If selecting a new system from scratch the sensible buyer will start with the speakers they like best and then buy the other components to suit those speakers.

Nigel.
                    Well said Nigel !
                    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• TomScrut
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Nov 2013

I think he had already picked and bought the speakers though hadn't he?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                      Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• dinoflondon
                        • Feb 2016

Hi Win1,

Just picked up on your thread from 2014 regarding your C370 / C270 setup, I have a similar setup am I am currently struggling to get them bridged. Would very much appreciate it if you could send me a picture of how you've got them hooked up together. I kind of get the speaker setup, it's where do I connect the interconnect between the amp and power amp, that's got me confused. Regards Din of London

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"